Emergency! Can Someone Help My Dad?

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Hi all! Some of you may have read about my Dad's Cat, Red. Well, Dad just called IN TEARS. Red cannot stand up, and keeps falling down. I called the E-vet, and they cannot send anyone out to get the cat.

My Dad, Fred, lives on Freedom Road in Pleasant Valley, NY (*just east of Poughkeepsie). He has Vertigo, and cannot bend over without getting dizzy, nor can he drive at night! IF ANYONE LIVES NEARBY HIM, AND CAN TAKE THIS POOR, SUFFERING CAT to the E-Vet of Route 55, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

I will be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if someone can help this cat! I have already left a message for the local vet, HOPING someone can come get this cat in the morning, but, GOD, I HATE to see Red, AND my Dad, suffering all night!

Many thanks! Dee

Oh dear, this has me in tears. I am too far away by hours. Would any of the taxi companies there be able to pick up the cat to get him to the e-vet? Any neighbors? Pet service providers -- cat sitters, even dog sitters/walkers?

Guest Energy11

No, nobody close by. My MOM and her husband, also in their 80s, live nearby, but, there is a snowstorm, and she cannot drive at night. Taxis will not transport animals. I will just have to PRAY that Red will be okay till the local vet get in tomorrow.

Can your Dad ride in the taxi with the cat? We're a state away, but most of the cab companies here allow dogs and cats as passengers -- even big dogs. I just call first to make sure it's kosher with them.

I am terribly sorry. This is out of my league, but would the police or animal control lend assistance in this emergency, or would they know anyone who would help? Sorry, it's a stretch, but there's got to be a solution.

Guest Energy11

I have a call into the local vet who has seen my Dad's cats. IF Red makes it until tomorrow, I am SURE they can send a tech out to get the cat. Part of my Dad's Vertigo includes his nerves, and he would NEVER be able to pick up Red and transport him in a Taxi. Good idea, though! Guess it is out of our hands, at this point. GOD I HATE THIS!

Thanks for the suggestions! DEE

Guest eaglflyt

No, nobody close by. My MOM and her husband, also in their 80s, live nearby, but, there is a snowstorm, and she cannot drive at night. Taxis will not transport animals. I will just have to PRAY that Red will be okay till the local vet get in tomorrow.

Could perhaps a taxi or a friend make the trip? If the cat could be put in a crate, perhaps anyone could take him to the e-vet?

Our cat, Lavinia, had similar symptoms when she had her stroke. She recovered about 90% with E-vet and regular vet care. They gave her IV Heparin and we gave 1/2 baby aspirin daily and she lived another year. She also had a dilated pupil on one side and could only use her limbs on the opposite side ... classical stroke symptoms.

If it seems to be a stroke by symptoms, perhaps he could give her just the tiniest piece of aspirin if he can't get her to a vet tonight?

Praying for your Dad and his kitty.

Shelly in OK

Guest mcsheltie

Look online/Google/yellowpages.com for other vets in the area, pet sitters, elderly care givers, meals on wheels... there must be other businesses that transports things... I'm trying to think...

Most vets here have a recording when they are closed. MSU is here, so they don't need to be open for emergencies. But we found one that actually gives his phone number and will come in for an emergency. This guy would help. There has got to be a good old fashion vet there too. A large animal vet might be an idea, they are mobile.

Could your mom come in the taxi and get Red? I am out of ideas... :(

Guest Energy11

Looks like Dad is going to let "nature" take it's course tonight. If the cat is alive in the morning, I have calls into the local vets... alarm set to call them, too. He has had the cats there before, and, hopefully, a tech can come take Red to the vets to be sent to The Bridge. Maybe he will pass during the night ... Thanks for all the ideas!

Here's what you can do.

You have your dad's address, I am sure. Do a reverse directory of the neighbors to the left and right and across the street. Surely there will be someome to help. If I got the call, I would help.

http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Dad did get 1/2 of one of his low dose aspirin into Red. HE want to "wait till morning," so I cannot fight him. I already have a call into the vet he used to see, and my alarm set to call them, myself, in the morning. It should be okay, I hope ... thanks for the suggestions and the help, really!

Oh for God sakes Dee!!! I am so sorry. Knowing what's happened in the past to your dad my heart really goes out to him, and to Red.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Dee-yu may want to call the neighbors just to give them a heads up and to check on Dad???? You may want to have their numbers as a 'just in case' anyway???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Energy11

I just called Dad. He is fine. Red is "hiding" in a cabinet.

We have GREYTALK HELP! "Madera's DH, who lives in Dover Plains, will be calling my Dad in the early a.m., and will take Red to the local vets, he used to use. THEY WOULD go tonight, but the weather there is really horrible.

GOD, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot tell you how much I LOVE YOU, I JUST CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can depend on all of you, and I HOPE you will ALWAYS depend on ME!

Love you soooooooo much! Dee

And we love you too! Glad there is some sort of calvery for Dad and Red.

Guest Energy11

Yes, Miracles HAVE AND DO happen here! I am very very very lucky to be part of this family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is good news indeed. I do like Robin's idea of getting the neighbors' contact info for future just-in-case. I'll be keeping Red, your Dad and you in my thoughts through the night, and please keep us posted.

Guest Energy11

I have one neighbor, Mr. Rogers, but they are away on vacation :-( ... I DID try him first. My Dad has one of those emergency alert buttons, but they don't respond for pets :-(((

Guest Energy11

You ALL helped, ... JUST by "being there" for me! I cannot tell you JUST how much I appreciate and love you all! I just can't! Have a greyt night, love you!!!!!!!!! Dee. **** Remember, I hope to always be there for all of you as well!