The Itchy And Scratchy Show

Three weeks ago Reggie and foster boy Rufus made the trek from Southern Florida to the polar express, aka Connecticut. Rufus hasn't had any troubles. When Reggie first got here he had some dandruff. I've been giving him two fish oil capsules daily and the dandruff's gone. But in the past week Reggie has gotten very itchy. I've seen him chewing his sides and scratching his sides and chin more and more often. His coat and skin look good, though. I know it could be an allergy or something like that, but I'd like to see if it's something simpler, like just our cold, dry air, first. Any suggestions of what I can give him besides the fish oil?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It is very possible that it's the dry air. Heated air (aka use of a furnace) is notorious for drying the air, and thus, the skin.

You can try using a humidifyer. That helps around here. You can also try a topical spray. It won't solve the problem, but will act like a lotion on human skin, and moisturize, reducing the itch. I like Quicker Slicker, by Nature's Specialties. http://www.naturesspecialtiesmfg.com/ It's tough to find, but VERY worth it! I use many products by this company, and have never been disappointed!

You can also look into a more comprehensive skin/coat supplement. We use Hair of the Dog (www.docsblend.com). This stuff is amazing! The difference it has made for our Greyhounds is fantastic!

Hope this helps!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Assume he's been de-flea-ed and had a bath since then to remove any flea dirt? Is he shedding to any degree?

It can take fish oil several weeks to make a difference, so don't give up too soon on that. If he was eating track diet before he came to you and primarily kibble now, could be the lower fat content combined with some shedding that is making him itchy.

My angel Batman was allergic to fish oil but that showed up primarily in red itchy feet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We notice that Brooke is itchy all of the time too, although it lessened after we gave her a bath with some medicated shampoo from the vet. Our house is very moist though and she ate kibble at her foster home. Ben doesn't scratch so I'm assuming it is not fleas. I took a fuzzbuster to her and only found some dandruff. She's not shedding at all. When you find something that helps, I'd be interested in knowing what you did to see if it helps Brooke.

thanks

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PawsDeDeux

For almost 8 years I have used, and recommended, brewer's yeast tablets to my

greyhounds and fosters. It's natural, anti-itch, lessens scratching a lot, and

is a flea deterrent. A couple of dollars buys you a big ole bottle, and the dogs

think they taste like a treat. Soft, shiney dogs who don't scratch at themselves

here. Of course we keep them flea free with Frontline, but the real comfort for

them comes from the brewer's yeast.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Tracey, I used to put olive oil in Gino's food and that helped immensely with his dry skin/dandruff. Hey, his name was Gino; he was "Italian," :lol so olive oil seemed natural. You can also try egg in his food. Or peanut butter. Any sort of protein with oils. Good luck! I bet it's also the northeastern winter and indoor heating -- I, myself, get affected by it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may try all of them. :lol Does anyone know where I can get the brewers yeast tablets, what kind of store, or a place to order them online?

Both Reggie and Rufus were bathed with a tick shampoo after they got here. It's so cold I know they couldn't be picking up anything here. Besides, with four dogs and only one itching I know it can't be fleas or anything like that.

As for the fish oil, I just plan on everyone getting it all winter anyway, so I'm not going to stop giving it. Just trying to think of things to do in addition to. And Reggie is shedding minimally, which is to say that the other three don't seem to be shedding at all while Reggie is losing just a few hairs here and there.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Guest PawsDeDeux

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may try all of them. :lol Does anyone know where I can get the brewers yeast tablets, what kind of store, or a place to order them online?

I've found them online, at Wally World and at least 2 of the 3 larger chain pet supply stores.

Good luck, hope it helps

I've found them online, at Wally World and at least 2 of the 3 larger chain pet supply stores.

Good luck, hope it helps

I found 1000 at entirelypets.com for $8.09 (after a 10% coupon I found) plus $4.95 shipping. Is that a good deal?

Guest Energy11

I think all of this has to do with the cold weather and heat in the house. Curfew is blowing his coat (*on thyroid meds already), but, boy, when I took off his coat this a.m., HAIR CITY! He gets supplements and sees Dr. Karen on Tues., for Thyroid profiles, but, I think it is the weather. I like "The Furminator" supplement, which I get on Amazon.com. Good Luck!

Guest PawsDeDeux

I found 1000 at entirelypets.com for $8.09 (after a 10% coupon I found) plus $4.95 shipping. Is that a good deal?

There's a mega tab that is enough of a dose with just one. If those 1,000 are the smaller ones

that you have to give one per 10# then there's better deals out there. Truly, Walmarts bottle of

smaller ones is $2.48 (my apologies for quoting retail information)

You are welcome to PM me if you'd like, Tracey!

Edited by PawsDeDeux

been there, it's really frustrating!!!! it takes a while(at least 6 weeks) for anything to start working including the food you are feeding them. i tried olive oil, safflower oil(cold pressed),bacon fat, nupro suppliment, sardines, a variety of foods when i first got my late gal emily who had dandurff to beat the band. finally finding a food w/ at least 24% protien and a good fat content and cold pressed salmon oil we had a good skin and coat. every time she had a bath, even w/ oatmeal shampoo and conditioner(and that was maybe 2xs a year) her skin looked awful, but it did recover. can't go wrong w/ old fasioned brewer's yeast. i get it at the vitamin shoppe.

be patient and watch out, that greyhound skin is like tissue paper.

There's a mega tab that is enough of a dose with just one. If those 1,000 are the smaller ones

that you have to give one per 10# then there's better deals out there. Truly, Walmarts bottle of

smaller ones is $2.48 (my apologies for quoting retail information)

You are welcome to PM me if you'd like, Tracey!

Ok, I'll try the ones at Wally world. Last question; are these in their pet section or the human supplement area? Thanks!

Guest PawsDeDeux

In the pet section, a white bottle with blue label.

Usually right beside the same company's adult daily vitamin supplement which I also use.

It is very possible that it's the dry air. Heated air (aka use of a furnace) is notorious for drying the air, and thus, the skin.

You can try using a humidifyer. That helps around here. You can also try a topical spray. It won't solve the problem, but will act like a lotion on human skin, and moisturize, reducing the itch. I like Quicker Slicker, by Nature's Specialties. http://www.naturesspecialtiesmfg.com/ It's tough to find, but VERY worth it! I use many products by this company, and have never been disappointed!

You can also look into a more comprehensive skin/coat supplement. We use Hair of the Dog (www.docsblend.com). This stuff is amazing! The difference it has made for our Greyhounds is fantastic!

Hope this helps!

Hair of the Dog is fantastic for dry itchy skin. We love this product.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan