Itchy Butt?

Guest lucygoosey

Guest lucygoosey

Hello! I just adopted Lucy Goosey a few moths ago, but we do have another grey, Nadia. Lucy seems to get an uncontrollable urge to lick her butt ALL the time! She loves to lick anything normally, but when it is her butt she just goes to town! I'm afraid that there might be something wrong with her because of the intensity she has. Please let me know if you have experienced this or what to do? Thanks!

Guest Energy11

Hi, Welcome!

Sound like it could be full or clogged anal glands. The vet can take care of that quickly, and if they are infected, give antibiotics. Hugs and good luck!

Edited by Energy11

any dog that licks at their butt , a lot, could have an anus gland issue, this is easy to manage, a vet will express them, and most will be happy to teach you how to do it yourself, saves $$$$ :)

Our 6yo boy was eating his butt raw.A trip to the vet,no anal gland problem...Vet says that his not very common in the breed. A urine test in office showed Urinary Track Infection. 10 days antibiotic cleard up. Vet tech suggested Purina One was the cause,not good enough food.I moved up to Purina Pro Plan .None of the dogs liked Natural Balance or Nutro!

Guest FrostyBottoms

Was she de-wormed when you got her? If she has worms, that could cause it, or if she has loose poop, that could cause the clogged anal glands that will cause an itchy butt. Good luck!

Guest lucygoosey

Was she de-wormed when you got her? If she has worms, that could cause it, or if she has loose poop, that could cause the clogged anal glands that will cause an itchy butt. Good luck!

She was dewormed, but sometimes she does have loose poops. I will get her to the vet as I do not want to express her anal glands! I love my pets but we had cat with anal glands issues and I cannot handle the smell!

Guest SillyIzzysMom

This kind of made me laugh, because once our Golden Retriever, Ruby, got a hot spot on her butt. . .okay I know that's not funny. . .obviously, we started treating it as soon as we found it. . .but before we got it to go away, Ruby would be sleeping then wake up, turn her head and growl at her butt. :rolleyes:

Our 6yo boy was eating his butt raw.A trip to the vet,no anal gland problem...Vet says that his not very common in the breed. A urine test in office showed Urinary Track Infection. 10 days antibiotic cleard up. Vet tech suggested Purina One was the cause,not good enough food.I moved up to Purina Pro Plan .None of the dogs liked Natural Balance or Nutro!

Not sure where the correlation between licking his "butt", a urinary tract infection, and "not good enough food" is?

Not a lot of difference between Purina One and Pro Plan either. As far as I know, a male with a UTI isn't going to lick his "butt," he's going to lick his sheath. And while inferior dog food may cause digestive problems, typically it does not cause UTIs.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FrostyBottoms

She was dewormed, but sometimes she does have loose poops. I will get her to the vet as I do not want to express her anal glands! I love my pets but we had cat with anal glands issues and I cannot handle the smell!

When Vinny had his glands expressed, he knocked the tech over 3 times....he also squeeled like a piggy. Good luck!

Can I jump on this topic....

Chance licks his butt....ummm..maybe once a day...twice poss...of course these are times I see him do it and he's always around me. Stated earlier, they said a vet said it's normal to this breed...is that true?

Chance's poops do vary too (esp if at the dog park...he poos till it is runny..he's so excited) I was thinking that it itches b/c when it's more runny, it's messier and I figure it is making it itch. Once I wipe his butt, he doesn't do it anymore.

Should I be more worried? I never heard about "expressing" anal glands....guess I gotta do more researching on greys unsure.gif