Graduating From Crate To Baby Gate Advice?

Guest rachel2025

Guest rachel2025

Hi All,

We've had Pike for 16 months now, and have always crated him when we leave the house (he had separation anxiety and managed to do quite a bit of damage, even with a muzzle on). In that time, he has dramatically improved -- now we leave the house and 9 times out of 10 (unless we are not acting according to his routine), he curls up and goes right to sleep.

A few weeks ago, we decided to try leaving him with free run of the house when we left, but it didn't go as planned -- he chewed into the front door frame and door knob in an effort to join us (even after I sprayed them with Bitter End). After that, we went back to his crate, and he returned to his old self.

However, I have noticed over the past several months, that when we are preparing to leave the house, he goes to lay down in his bed in our bedroom. And I'm thinking we might have more possibility of success if we left him there. At the same time, I am really concerned about the molding/woodwork in there (our house is over 100 years old, and it is original).

We've considered muzzling, but it seems to really stress him out. I'm of course thinking I could make an extremely high-value kong (he always gets konged, but perhaps I could put something new and exciting in it).... Any other ideas? Suggestions??

We've tried some alone training, but I always feel as if we are undoing all our good work every morning when we pick up the keys and DO take him out with us on his walk. :)

Thanks in advance!

rachel

That's my thoughts. If he's happy in the crate I'd leave him there. I still crate some of mine and I've had them for years. They love their crates to sleep in at night and if I leave the house.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest rachel2025

He sleeps in his bed in our bedroom floor at night and seems to prefer it in there.... is only in the crate when we are gone.

The reason I am looking to close it down is because we have a very small living space...it takes up a rather large portion of our eating area, and he already has a bed in the living room and bedroom. :)

Guest momofevie

You can certainly try gating him, knowing you'll need to return to the crate if he shows signs of SA.

While Evie hated her crate, I still transitioned her out of it slowly to make sure she was comfortable and safe. I first gated her into the room where her crate was (crate still up with door open). Over the next several months, I expanded the area she had available to her during the day. After about a year, the crate came down, and she had access to the entire first floor. No problems at all, but I have to say, I'm lucky. Evie is such a good girl--never any chewing, SA etc. Every dog is different.

Lots of luck to you and Pike!