Sleeping Through The Night?

Guest secondchance

Guest secondchance

We recently adopted our beautiful greyhound and he wakes up every morning between 4:30 and 6:00 and whines until we get up and take him out to go potty. Do other people's dogs do this?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Mine do not, but I have a houseful and new dogs just go with the flow. I think it is normal though, because at the track they go out early (or so I would imagine). Give him time :) I am blessed- my dogs and my baby all sleep like rocks! And congrats on the new pup!

Guest greyhoundis

I think when they are new - then they get into your routine with time. I have a 3:30 a.m. girl that whines for potty breaks - the others will whine for breakfast earlier than potty. LOL

Guest GreytfullDad

:blink: Oh are we ever familiar with the 4 am routine, however in our case it is my wife's fault as she is usually up that early and our pack has just gotten used to it.

As for suggestions; try holding off in fifteen minute increments so that you push the response time to the whining back over say a two week time frame until you get to the desired schedule. These dogs are very schedule oriented so you have to RE-schedule them, but be aware that if the potty break is NEEDED, you may have to deal with an accident or two while they are re-adjusting.

Good Luck and I hope it helps B)

Both of ours occasionally get us up in the early hours but I figure I trained them to let me know if they need to go out so I really can't complain when they do just that - if they need to go they need to go!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest IrskasMom

I get up every Morning at 3:30 AM ( I have to be at work at 5 AM ) so of course my Boy gets his Breakfast at 4 AM , the Kitty to and the Routine is set. Today Saturday , I don't have to work , he woke me up at 6 AM.He goes Potty and back to sleep for an hour or two.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Oh, the luxury of sleeping until 6!!! May I one day achieve that!

George was a 4 AM man. When I realized he was just waking me up 'cause apparently they opened up the kennel where he lived at 4 AM, I stopped taking him out and instead taught him, "Quite!" and got him to sleep until I did (which is only 5:30 anyway). They WILL manipulate you, so if you're confident this is NOT an emergency "I have to go out" sigh, feel free to tell your hound to go back to sleep!

FYI, I got some REALLY BAD advice when I was a newbie; things such as to give him a snack when he whined, keep a Kong by my bed and feed it to him, etc. Don't encourage him by rewarding this behavior. Make sure he's had a nice walk before bedtime, and depending on what time that is, he should be able to make it to 6 or 7 easily enough. You can gradually get many of them to sleep later--I've had no luck, but I get up very early Mon-Fri. and I don't expect George to understand Sat. and Sun!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Could there be something in the environment that is triggering the waking up? Our furnace goes on at 6 AM and that wakes me up every morning. Our papers are delivered by three different cars most mornings between 3:30 AM and 6 AM. Lights go off and on. The neighbors let their dogs out early and that wakes up my dogs sometimes.

I've also found that just putting a light coat on Martin will keep him more settled at night and in the AM.

We have a dog door so if one of the dogs really has to go out, he does. Surprisingly, it is rarely used after 11 PM or before we all get up in the morning around 6:30. My impression--at our house--is that the need to potty is triggered by getting up instead of the other way around. For the dogs, at least. :lol

I have been off work for 11 months, <_< but when I was working I was getting up at 5:00-5:30 am so my boyz got used to this as a wake up time. They are just now getting to the point where they will let me sleep in...but this too is like clockwork, 8:30 am all of them are in my face telling me to get up. I am sure if I pushed it I could adjust them later..but I start new job on monday :yay and I suspect they will need some time to readjust to the earlier time. I never really had the "they were up earlier then me", because my adoption group is a kennel based situation and thier first air was at 6! So I was getting them up early!

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

I have not slept past 7:15 AM in YEARS!

Most new dogs are on kennel or farm time. They start early. If he is waking you up at 4:30, that's good- better than having to clean up a mess at 4:30 AM!!! He needs to relieve himself. Take him out- let him do his business. Give him a small treat to praise him (for not going in the house) and back to bed until 7 or so.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest rachel2025

We had some luck with feeding Pike dinner later (round 8pm) -- when we got him he was definitely on kennel time. Now he sleeps (most nights) till 7:30 am.

Guest BorzoiMom

The cat is waking me up from 3:30-4:30 every morning. It has NEVER been encouraged. I have to wake the dog up to eat (for every meal, lol).

Guest pennmorgan

Squirt bottle! Olivia tried this for a couple of days, and a few quick squirts of cold water from the squirt bottle worked like a charm. Now she doesn't make a peep until we get up, no matter how late it is, even on the weekends.

Guest rachelee

When we first got Bistro he would wake us up very early, around 5ish or so. I got up earlier, but tried to hold off for as long as I could to get up and take him out. Eventually he started bugging me later and later. Now (starting after 2-3 months of being home) he usually leaves me alone until 7ish, which works well for us.

When the time change happened he took about a week to adjust to the 'new' 7am. I took him out early for several days, but each day I'd try to wait a little bit longer and eventually he readjusted.

Sometimes on the weekends I can even get him to wait til almost 7:30! It's funny, we have a 4 month old and it's not him who gets us up in the morning -- it's the cats and Bistro!

Our girls usually go out every morning around 5:45 just before Dh leaves for work, but sometime they get into a pattern where they wake us up at 3:00 AM to go out thank God that is only sometimes.

Guest Parsniptoast

but sometime they get into a pattern where they wake us up at 3:00 AM to go out

That's where I am with my three right now (it's 03.11 UK time!)

They all sleep in my room because they seem to prefer it but I have to have Meggie in with me because I sleep so deeply I can't hear her whine to get out if she's in another room and so she leaves me a package in the kitchen.

If I tell her to go back to bed she usually does but we've tried all manner of dinner changes, feeding times, quantities etc. She gets two walks in the evening - I've even changed MY bedtime so that she gets a very late walk... all to no avail. Most nights she needs a poop at 3am.. one goes and they all go!

but sometime they get into a pattern where they wake us up at 3:00 AM to go out

That's where I am with my three right now (it's 03.11 UK time!)

They all sleep in my room because they seem to prefer it but I have to have Meggie in with me because I sleep so deeply I can't hear her whine to get out if she's in another room and so she leaves me a package in the kitchen.

If I tell her to go back to bed she usually does but we've tried all manner of dinner changes, feeding times, quantities etc. She gets two walks in the evening - I've even changed MY bedtime so that she gets a very late walk... all to no avail. Most nights she needs a poop at 3am.. one goes and they all go!

I guess I am so lucky...Peace sleeps until we get up, 7 during the work week and 830 or 900 on the weekends..I have just been off work two weeks for winter break and she stayed in bed until 900 everyday with me..I wonder if she will object to the 7AM walk in the morning!