Dandruff

Guest Lannie79

Guest Lannie79

We just brought home a black hound and he has a bad case of dandruff.

Is there something I can add to his food? Do I bathe him with dandruff shampoo? Ignore it?

He is brand new to us, so for now we are ignoring it until he gets more settled into our home & routine

Goldie had that when I adopted him too. I gave him LIPIDERM and it cured it in a couple of weeks. I continued to give it to him even after it cleared because I figured he might need it and I didn't want to take any chance on him reverting back to dandruff. But it workled great and he had a georgous coat when on the Lipiderm. I say Lipiderm specifically because it is specially made to be water soluble or something-patented. You don't get that with the drug store variety fish oil. I wanted to give a supercharged treatment so he got well quick so thats why I used the more expensive Lipiderm. Kind of makes sense-you get what you pay for?

Congratulations on your black houndie! I have a black named Cash. I LOVE BLACK HOUNDIES. I think they are stunningly beautiful ........as are the fawns, cowdogs, brindles, etc. etc.tongue.gif

Guest TeddysMom

Spice also had dandruff when she arrived and because she had lived in FL, she was not use to the dry heat in the house. She is on Skin and Coat Supplement from Petco but I wanted to do something while the diet addition has time to work. Every evening, I heat a little olive oil and add a couple of drops of Tea Tree oil. I put a a few drops on my hands and work it into her skin especially down her back where it seems to be the worst and on her bald butt then I brush her with a soft rubber curry. Not only has her coat and skin improved but she loves it so much that it has really become a nice bonding thing for us.

Thanks for the tip on the Lipiderm racindog, I will diffinately get some for Spice and try that. Most of the diet supplements take forever to begin working.

we love hair of the dog food supplement. it has done wonders for bee wiseman's dry, itchy skin. her coat is super shin and soft. her skin has really improved.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest mountain4greys

Depending on where you are, this is a great time for dry skin. Especially in dogs coming from the track or kennel. Adding some fish oil to his food will help. It won't go away overnight tho. Sometimes just giving him a good diet will take care of it to. In time, it'll be gone.

Every evening, I heat a little olive oil and add a couple of drops of Tea Tree oil.

Might doublecheck on the tea tree oil thing. When I checked into it I found out that it was responsible for more than a few pet deaths-particularly of cats. It has to do with the way it spreads out so.

Guest hlpnhounds

Fish oil is a good additive. Easily found at nearly any grocery or drug store and relatively inexpensive. My boy, Logan, had flaky skin when he first came to live with us but the fish oil and a high quality food (or at least better than kennel food) fixrf him right up. He still has a little dandruff when he's nervous but, other than that, his coat is shiny and smooth.

Guest TeddysMom

Every evening, I heat a little olive oil and add a couple of drops of Tea Tree oil.

ight doublecheck on the tea tree oil thing. When I checked into it I found out that it was responsible for more than a few pet deaths-particularly of cats. It has to do with the way it spreads out so.

Yep, already done the research. Two drops in a half cup of carrier oil is fine and helps the itchys.

Guest mcsheltie

Might doublecheck on the tea tree oil thing. When I checked into it I found out that it was responsible for more than a few pet deaths-particularly of cats. It has to do with the way it spreads out so.

Aromatherapy and essential oils are toxic to cats. But you can use some (not all) with dogs. Research is needed on the type and amount.

We use fish oil and Vit E here.

Edited by mcsheltie

we love hair of the dog food supplement. it has done wonders for bee wiseman's dry, itchy skin. her coat is super shin and soft. her skin has really improved.

I adore this product! Doesn't hurt that we are close friends with the manufacturer (also the breeder of our hairies), but I digress.

The truth is, though,k a newly retired Greyhoundmay not need supplementation. A food with more fat than the track ddiet is likely to produce an improvement in the coat, in and of itself. Additionally, bathing no more than monthly, if at all, and daily brushing with a zoom groom or hound glove will help distribute the natural oils.

We also humidify our house. Dry heat in winter is a killer on skin, on the humans as well as the hounds. If you live in a climate where you need heating in the home, this is something to consider.

It must also be said that dogs that are nervous or unsure can blow coat, which produces dandruff. A newly retired Greyhound, in a new home is VERY likely to be nervous and/or unsure. Therefore, that may be a contributing factor as well.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I should mention, as well, that when you bathe, use lukewarm water, a moiturizing shampoo, a deep moisturizing conditioner (left to soak in for at least 5 minutes), dry with towels, then follow with a moisturizing spray, applied liberally, then rubbed into the skin.

Products I like include Plum Silky shampoo, Aloe Remoisturizing conditioner, and Quicker Slicker spray, all by Nature's Specialties (http://www.naturesspecialtiesmfg.com/). These products can be hard to find, but SO worth it! The best part is, the shampoo and conditioner dilute like crazy, enabling them to go further, and saving you money! They smell amazing, too, and the shamppo cleans like none other I have used!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.