Limping In Rear Leg

Guest Johnnys_Mom

Guest Johnnys_Mom

My almost 11 year old started favoring his back left leg a few weeks ago. After a visit to the vet - they put him on Rimadyl, but after doing x-rays, said there is no arthritis or hip dysplasia. He seems to do fine on level ground, but refuses stairs. The biggest problem with this is that I sleep upstairs and he whines because he doesn't like to be alone. The last time he tried to get up the stairs, his legs splayed out to the side, and he got stuck (and made a noise I never want to hear again). The vet says give him the meds and rest, but he doesn't seem much better a week later.

Any suggestions?

Guest Lannie79

I hate to suggest it...but has your vet ruled out bone cancer? We recently lost our 11 y/o male to Osteosarcoma and the only sign was a limp.

If all is well and he just needs time, is it feasible to sleep on a couch on the lower level for a few days?

Good luck.

I would have the vet search until he finds the osteo. 11 is a prime age. My boy, also named Johnny, was limping. I had the vet search with x-rays until he found the Osteo. Johnny's amputation was Dec 3, he will have his second chemo treatment on Monday.

Where are you located? I would suggest you have his x-rays emailed to Dr Couto's Greyhound Wellness Team at Ohio State University. All retired racers can receive free chemo from this program. I'm sure someone else can give your the email address and more information. Google Greyhound Health and Wellness Program.

Please continue your investigation into Johnny's limping. In my heart I know it is Osto, the age is perfect for it.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Adrianne

Wilbur started favoring his rear leg and limping a bit in late October or early November. We assumed arthritis and took him to the vet. She (not our regular vet) confirmed arthritis, but did not do xrays. How I wish we had insisted on xrays. He broke his leg in December and xrays showed zero arthritis in his joints. Our regular vet feels the favoring and limping in the beginning was due to a hairline fracture that finally snapped.

I don't know what would have been done if we had discovered the fracture in the beginning, but I do wonder.

Worth having the x-rays reviewed but I wouldn't assume it's osteo. More likely to be a soft tissue injury, which can take a long time to heal -- 6 weeks or more. Any way you can sleep downstairs so your boy isn't missing you at night? If you can't, you'll want to make sure he stays off the stairs so he doesn't reinjure himself trying to join you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, I'll throw out another possibility (and FYI, I agree with more x-rays--I heard Dr. Couto talk, and he said in a greyhound he just assumes it's bone cancer if he hears of a sudden limp)--

My boy has L.S.S. His only symptom is some trouble with stairs, and he occasionally drags one hind leg. That would require an x-ray of his lower spine, and test that basically involves putting a finger up the butt and pulling up on the tail (not you, your vet!). The compressing spinal column affects the nerves which can cause problems.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Arthritis does not always show on an xray.

Like Batmom said, soft tissue injuries take quite awhile to heal and in many cases, an anti-inflammatory will take longer to show any improvement.

I just went through this with Lenny. I expected improvement after 10 days but as it turned out, it took longer to see any improvement.

Having Dr C review the xrays is a great idea, but please don't think the worst

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Johnnys_Mom

I would have the vet search until he finds the osteo. 11 is a prime age. My boy, also named Johnny, was limping. I had the vet search with x-rays until he found the Osteo. Johnny's amputation was Dec 3, he will have his second chemo treatment on Monday.

Where are you located? I would suggest you have his x-rays emailed to Dr Couto's Greyhound Wellness Team at Ohio State University. All retired racers can receive free chemo from this program. I'm sure someone else can give your the email address and more information. Google Greyhound Health and Wellness Program.

Please continue your investigation into Johnny's limping. In my heart I know it is Osto, the age is perfect for it.

I had a bad feeling it was something serious like this. He didn't have any signs of the "easy" fixes. I will talk to my vet about the program in Ohio. We live outside Atlanta. Thankfully my vet is a good friend of mine and willing to work with me. Interestingly - he doesn't seem to be in any pain. When his legs are touched or moved - he doesn't winch or cry or pull away. The vet did say that he had limited range of motion on both of his hind legs when he pulled them straight backwards. The vet also said he quivers his back more than usual -so maybe LSS, but the limp doesn't go away as he moves or loosens it.

He seems to be OK with sleeping downstairs - he hasn't even attempted to get upstairs with me. He does still follow me around during the day. :)

I will try to keep you updated. Maybe rest and anti-inflammatory will work even if we don't have a diagnosis.

Johnny's Mom aka Virginia

Edited by Johnnys_Mom