I'm Glad One Of Us Knows The Drill

Guest longdogs

Guest longdogs

I set off with Angel for our walk this morning and she refused to follow me out of the front gate. She just stopped dead just inside the gate despite earlier prancing around to tell me to get a move on. Very strange. I stood outside the gate and started calling and cajoling her and she just looked at me, did a bit of dancing on the spot and wagged her tail. Even more strange. At that point I realised something was not quite right. I was outside the gate, Angel was inside and a couple of paces away - I was holding her leash and she was not connected to it! She had obviously quietly absorbed the 'rule' that you had to be on a leash to be out on the street. Clever girl. At least one of us has brains.

I admit to being a serial offender. A couple of years ago, Nugget once walked quietly and properly with me for some time before I registered that all was not right. It was when she stopped for a pee and I kept on going that I realised I hadn't even brought a leash with me.

Guest longdogs

I love it! :) That's one smart doggie you have there!

Angel is full of surprises for such an old lady. She doesn't seem like a quick learner, in fact I don't think she is. Show her something new and she'll look cute and confused and wag her tail (I know a few humans who use the same strategy...), but she certainly learns from experience. I was thinking this morning how calm and unthreatening she is with children and small dogs. She was always gentle and keen for pats but sometimes let her enthusiasm get the better of her with sudden quick movements that made mothers and dog-owners nervous. Now she's incredibly calm. Every kid in the local kinder knows her, none of the mothers worry any more and she's often surrounded by small children giving her pats. Other than a slight tendency to quietly steal fluffy toys from toddlers, or lick one with a particularly tasty coating, she is perfect with them.