Augie Dogie

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

augieandkevin.jpg

As another year has come and gone I thought I was getting lucky on not having to start a thread in Remembrance. Shows you how wrong you can be.

On Dec 29th I had to make the gut wrenching decision to allow my big lug-a-duga Augie pass with out me being there by his side.

I'm sure some are wondering "what the heck happened" trust me those were my thoughts as well.

Late Nov when me and Kevin went on vacation I was informed Augie wasn't eating well. I just chalked it up to missing his momma.

When we got home he was back to eating normal again. About a week before leaving for the North Augie was getting picky again.

I really didn't worry to much but sometimes there is that odd thought in the back of your head.

Oh gosh, he's not eating well, I know what this means.

While up in CT Kevin continued to tell me Augie wasn't eating well. Only eating about 1/2 his meals and only wanting certain cookie treats.

On Monday morning, the day I was set to leave CT to drive home Kevin said Augie threw up his breakfast. Still I didn't freak and thought maybe it's nothing.

Kevin came home to feed everyone dinner and Augie didn't get up to meet him at the door and he seemed very listless.

This is when I started to freak out. Off to the ER vet they went.

And while Augie wasn't feeling well Kevin said he was still very alert, wanted to jump in the truck on his own and was actually perky.

At the ER he couldn't walk up the steps as he was weak.

They did blood work and it was showing red flags for Cancer :( Calcium levels off the chart, super low white blood cell count.

All words I didn't want to hear. Next was x-rays and there were many spots that shouldn't be showing up on the x-ray.

All upper GI area, pancreas.

The ER vet kept him over night and gave fluids, anti nausea meds and some other stuff.

On Tue morning Kevin went to pick up Augie and was shocked by what he saw. Augie had gone down hill fast and was loosing his battle.

Kevin's plans were to take him home and wait for me. I would be home by around 2 or 3.

After hearing how Augie was I just couldn't make him hold on just so I could be there for him.

Here is a dog that gave his all to me. I could not ask this of him. It was time and my last gift to my big boy was to let him go when his body was ready.

I'm sorry I'm rambling but I really need to get this all out and hopefully start to come to terms with all of this.

How did Augie come into my life? I was a trainer in B'ham and we got dogs in from West Memphis. There were notes all over Augie's paper. Basically warning labels.

"highly aggressive, be careful with this dog in the turn out pen, don't ever double him up in the truck with anyone. Do not trust him with other dogs"

Those were the notes so I took careful care with this dog.

I soon learned someone must have had the wrong dog or something greater was going on that I totally didn't understand.

While in the kennel Augie was a dream hound. Never a problem always sweet and loving and so smart. He basically weighted his self on race days.

Then came the horrible night when Augie was making a big move on the far turn and down he went. I rushed track side and carried this big lug of a boy off the track and to the vets office.

The vet knew how special Augie was to me and I could read on her face that his break was a bad one.

Off we went that night to another vets office to get my boy all fixed up.

What a mess his leg was. Compound fracture, 8 different fractures in the bone.

We fixed him up and rehabbed at our kennel.

When it came time to move on to adoption I called the guy and he was on his way to pick up two hounds. Augie and another hound called Smooth Rush.

Augie refused to come out of his crate. Flat out a big ole screw you I'm not moving!

OK big man you can stay but I didn't have the space as I had dogs coming in.

What's a gal to do? Ya you guessed it he came home with me and he let me know in no uncertain terms that he was my dog and I was his momma.

Oddly enough I always was drawn to the females and had never owned a male dog. Augie was the first but he also taught me that he wouldn't be the last male dog to share my home.

He was a prince at times and a joker at others. He loved nothing more then to drive me crazy for his morning coffee.

Always by my side for feeding time and getting as close to me as possible.

He was my barker when I came home, even if I was gone just 10 minutes. Alerting all that Momma was home!

Standing just inside the door to welcome me home, with that special smile he shared only with me.

Augie's smile

thecrew0071ag.jpg

Augie was a big boy but yet such a lover. He loved to lay with me and rest his head upon me. He didn't so much cuddle but take over whatever place we laid.

He was never out of my site

augiedogbed001.jpg

Always sure to keep an eye on me :wub:

Augie, my big Bubba boy, may you be surrounded by all the toys you should ever want or need

aug001.jpg

My morning coffee will never be the same with out you to share with.

augiecoffee003.jpg

And the hardest line for me to write.

Fair well my friend. The life lessons you have taught me will never be forgotten.

augprofile.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was privileged to meet Augie and what a gentleman he was. I'm so sorry Heather. I know how hard this is for you. May you find peace in the days to come. Rest well Augie until you and your mom can again be together.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:brokenheart:f_red

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

:f_red I am so sorry Heather, I wish there were better words.

God speed to you handsome boy, knowing how very much you are loved and will be missed.

Watch over your mom like only you know how

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:cry1 Beautiful tribute for a beautiful boy

run free sweet boy...

I am so sorry for your loss, may your heart heal, yet never forget your special special man

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.