Drastic Nail Trimming

Guest amour

My boy is going to go for a dental in a couple weeks.He came to me with very long nails.

I've been working on them gradually but cannot get them far enough without hitting the "quick'(causes the toes to curl). Vet suggested that while his under for his dental that he cuts them about halway back-- this would be cutting the "quick".

Has anyone done this and if so what can I expect? I would think that his paws would be quite sore afterwards. :unsure

I've done it before. Ask if they will dremmel or file the sharp edges so that the nail does not rub on the side of the toe next to it. that was the only trouble I had when it was done.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest Energy11

I had it done a few times with Goldie, under sedation, as she wouldn't let me touch her nails. She reacted terribly to the sedation, so now, we use peanut butter to distract her, and it usually works. She did bite me yesterday (*not in a good spot), but the sweatshirt helped. Anyway, yes, I'd get the cut down during the procedure, if I were you. They just use Quik Stop, as they do it. We did it all the time at the vet I worked for in Fla. Good Luck!

I had Gee's done while getting a dental because she came to me with horribly long nails. You will have to keep his feet covered for a few days. I used baby booties on Gee. The thing you'll have to watch for is infection. Even covering Gee's feet, she still got one foot infected from the open toe nail. A week on antibiotics and she was fine and could walk so well!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

It should be fine. Goldie had it done about three times, with no problems with infection. I'd have the vet give you Keflex, 500mg, just to be on the safe side, though. I keep Keflex, Amoxicillin, and Cipro here at all times. ... ya never know, and my former employer/vet, and good friend, helps with all of this.