How Much Water Does Your Dog Drink?

Guest johnandheidi

Guest johnandheidi

Hi all,

We have two greyhounds that are both around 70lbs. We are very curious about their drinking habits. One hound will drink close to an entire bowl of water throughout the day. Usually in two big sittings after eating. The other barely drinks any water at all - maybe a quarter of a bowl. One will drink down half a bowl at a time and the other takes two sips. We are not sure which one we should worry about if at all?

How much water does your dog drink a day?

Some logistics:

We live in Chandler Arizona. Currently it has been very cool so temperatures are not exceeding 68 degrees.

We walk them twice a day for about 45 min with some light running.

We feed them twice a day - dry dog food with some chopped up potato (to combat.... well you know)

Bowls hold about 48oz of water

The are both around 68-70 lbs.

Thoughts?

Thanks

John-Heidi-Jeff-Walter

Guest TexasGreytMom

Great topic! DH and I have been curious about this just this week. We noticed that our Dora has been drinking a LOT of water - whenever she's at the bowl, it seems she's there forever. Shelby doesn't drink nearly that much.

We took them to the vet this week and had blood work done on Dora to rule out anything and she's perfectly healthy - no signs of kidney problems, diabetes, etc. We feel better, but just don't know why she's drinking so much - she hasn't always done this.

We did change their food to Natural Recipe Venison Meal and Rice dry food about a month or so ago and the vet was curious to know the sodium content - thinking that perhaps that was the cause of her thirst. I've emailed the manufacturer to find out the sodium count, so the jury's still out on that.

Interested to see responses to your post!

Guest mcsheltie

Great topic! DH and I have been curious about this just this week. We noticed that our Dora has been drinking a LOT of water - whenever she's at the bowl, it seems she's there forever. Shelby doesn't drink nearly that much.

We took them to the vet this week and had blood work done on Dora to rule out anything and she's perfectly healthy - no signs of kidney problems, diabetes, etc. We feel better, but just don't know why she's drinking so much - she hasn't always done this.

We did change their food to Natural Recipe Venison Meal and Rice dry food about a month or so ago and the vet was curious to know the sodium content - thinking that perhaps that was the cause of her thirst. I've emailed the manufacturer to find out the sodium count, so the jury's still out on that.

A few years ago I was feeding Pro Plan. I was unhappy with how all the dog's coats were looking so I switched everyone to Evo. Several of the dogs started drinking A LOT more. Did a bunch of research trying to figure out what was going on and found out higher protein will also cause increased thirst in some dogs. I switched those three to another brand and the excess drinking stopped in a couple days. Sodium content was about the same.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My Greyhounds sound like yours - one drinks a lot of water and the other not so much. I don't worry about it since it's not new behavior. They have always been that way. I live in Scottsdale by the way and their drinking habits don't change winter or summer.

Oh and I only feed dry kibble no canned food.

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest Energy11

Goldie drinks a lot of water, but she has some minor kidney issues, always has. They ALL get a lot of water in their food. I soak my kibble and we add a lot of filtered water to their food, so they get it that way. Other than Goldie, mine drink very little this time of year, but again, they get a lot of water in their food.

This is something I keep a very close eye on with my dogs, mainly due to Misty being dx with Cushings.

Some dogs will drink a lot which may be very normal to them, especially if they've done it all along. Some drink a lot because of their diet, enviorment, and then sometimes it can because of a medical issue.

If I notice an increase in drinking, I usually get a urine sample into the vet just to rule out a UTI or other minor issues.

There's a big difference here in drinking habits, Ekko drinks a lot, Wayne and Lenny hardly drink at all.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest oldNELLIE

We did change their food to Natural Recipe Venison Meal and Rice dry food...

We fed Nellie the NR Chicken meal for about a year and in that time she drank more water than ever. She was having accidents in the house and would drain her water bowl every time we filled it. At the time I had no idea it was the food so she was in and out of the vets and after $1000 + dollars of tests...nothing. She did show to be a bit hypo-thyroid which is what they decided the drinking was a result of event hough she was just on the low side of normal. We acclimated to her new routine and though nothing of it until we switched her food again to Kirkland. She has totally stopped the excessive drinking. Now I see it must have been the food :blink::lol

Guest TexasGreytMom

We fed Nellie the NR Chicken meal for about a year and in that time she drank more water than ever. She was having accidents in the house and would drain her water bowl every time we filled it. At the time I had no idea it was the food so she was in and out of the vets and after $1000 + dollars of tests...nothing. She did show to be a bit hypo-thyroid which is what they decided the drinking was a result of event hough she was just on the low side of normal. We acclimated to her new routine and though nothing of it until we switched her food again to Kirkland. She has totally stopped the excessive drinking. Now I see it must have been the food :blink::lol

Thanks! The food is the only recent change we made so I bet it is the culprit. And, Dora did have three tinkle accidents several weeks ago after never having a problem in the past. We need a food that contains no corn - Dora has a corn allergy. Will search for a dry food that will work better for her (NOT the Hill's Prescription Diet the vet gave us to try - it's way too pricey).

John - Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! :)

Guest FireHorse

Ours all drink about the same amount, but they drink differently. Luke is a slurper-every time he passes the bowl he has a slurp or two. Jet likes big drinks after he eats, but doesn't drink much otherwise. Pete is a camel-one biiig drink a day, and that's pretty much it. But it works out to about the same amount per dog, per day.

Guest BorzoiMom

Dutch drinks 2 gallons in 7 days in warm weather and now that it's cooled off a bit I can go about 10 days on 2 gallons. (one of those 2 gallon upside down bottles.) The cat shares the water, but she only drank a liter in a month.