Amelia - She's So Shy

Guest LineDancerDana

Guest LineDancerDana

Hello All!!! This is my first day to GreyTalk and I am so excited, especially because of these forums!!

Okay, my husband and I adopted Amelia about one and a half months ago. She is the sweetest greyhound I could have asked for. She is quiet (except when she has to go do her business), she is the best leash walker I have ever seen, and she is very docile on walked, in crowds, with other dogs, etc. Now, here is my question. She still seems very timid. We do so well on our walks, but at home it seems like all she wants to do in go in our room and sleep on her Doggie bed. She comes down and interacts a little but, but is not affectionate, and just comes down to check everything out and go back upstairs again. I know it is still early and she needs to get used to us, but are there any hints of tips to help the process? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Guest IrskasMom

I am so glad you came here to GT. Lots of very nice People and ton's of Information is available to you and your DH. Thank you for giving Amelia her Forever Home/Couch.IMHO it's just a little to early for her to be totally comfy and trusting.Some take a Month or two and some need more Time to settle in and it can take as long as a Year.So let her be and wait for her to blossom. It will happen . WELCOME :wave:wave:wave:wave

Guest missecho

Give her some time to relax-Molly was similarly timid when we first got her, which was about 8 months ago. She would not play with toys, didn't want "rubs", etc.

Today, she is one of the the cut ups of our greyhound group--playing non-stop with her squeaky ball, throwing around her squeaky gorilla and squeaky baby lamb toys, and she is now starting to go up to strangers to say hello. Her personality is really starting to shine--so give your new girl some time and I bet she will come out of her shell.

Welcome to GT! You've certainly come to the right place!

This behavior sounds normal for a greyhound in it's early days since adoption. Some take to home life faster and slower than others - it all depends on the dog.

Can you bring her bed closer to where you are? ie: out of the bedroom and into the family room? Most greys just want to be around people and the fact she is coming to check on you is great!

Don't worry about things, it sounds like she is already settling in and will continue to blossom over the coming months.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Sweetreba

Hi I adopted my first grey Reba in August 2008. She was timid also. Same thing great when out but when she was in the house it was like she did not know if we were going to pet her or hit her. She also stayed in her crate or pillow. I just let her be and gave her a lot of affection when she came around and now one year later I have a different dog. She is at my side constantly wants loving all the time. I adopted Petey 3 months after her she was a little better but still shy. Now if he comes near me she shoves him out of the way to get all the attention. This time next year you will have a different dog just give her time and be patient. Once she gets comfortable in the house and she trusts more and more she'll come around. When they are out and about with other dogs and people they seem to be more comfortable with their surroundings. When mine would come in and it was just us and the house it was different. She will eventually find her way. Petey made himself at home right away. Just different personalities.

Edited by Sweetreba

sounds like she is adapting to pet life well. Keep in mind that this is all so totally different from the life she had before, and it's understandable that when she gets home, she wants a little 'down time' before she is sociable. I would say just let her learn the paces at her own rate.

Leave her alone, and she'll come home, wagging her tail behind her! lol.gif

Guest saltwaterron

i was hoping for a quick transition with riley but it was a slow process. after a year, she finally is "home". when she first arrived in may '08 she was very shy. if the doorbell rang she headed to her crate. now when it rings she goes to the front door to see who is there. she is not scared to be around when family comes and is good with the grandchildren who love her dearly. all i can say is be patient. it just might take time. she will come around and when she does your life will change forever. good luck.

Guest LineDancerDana

Thank you all so very much for your warm welcomes, and the great information. I really appreciate hearing about other's experience in the same area. I was so surprised as Miss Amelia came and layed on the floor of my office today. It was spectaular!! I was so excited!!! Then I looked at her and she ran into her bedroom!!! HAHAHAHA. Next time I think I will let her do her own thing. And I will definitely get another pillow for the downstairs as well so she can have a bed there too. I can't wait to get to meet my girl as she comes out of her shell!! Thanks again everyone. I can't wait to read everything else on this site!!!!

Welcome to GT. Like everyone else said, it takes time. Some hounds come in to their new homes like they've always been there and some take their time. She'll come around in her own good time. Beds in all the rooms you spend time in helps i.e. living room, office, bedroom. You're going to love watching her emerge from her shell.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Don't fret yet...House did the same thing when he first came home. He would lay on one of the kitchen beds while all of us were in the den. I actually posted about it and I got the same answers you're getting here. Fast forward eight months and he's wherever we are. Just let her be for a while and once she's figured it all out, she'll come around. It's nice to watch them get more and more comfortable with their new home.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

:welcome2 welcome to GT we love to have you with us we are so glad you two are new grey parents keep us posted on your new girl, what a fun way to start the new year with a new family member, :welcome