What Constitutes "big" For A Grey?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi,

I was just looking a thead with a 92lb boy and 54lb girl. Both look lovely :)

I know at the vet, they have a poster that says greyhounds are supposed to be between 60lb and 70lb I think? Aleeya is around 65-67 or so and Haka is about 83.5 at this time, and both look great and feel great and aren't fat. I think they're both on the "big" side for their sex.

What's considered "big", "normal", or "small" for boy and girl hounds? What's the biggest hound that's known about? Feel free to post pictures :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

My boy is a "big" male grey. He's not a super heavyweight, but he is very tall, about 32" at the shoulders when he is standing up straight! He is also long. At just about every event we have been to, he is the tallest hound there. I know there are bigger boys out there, though. He weighs about 83 lbs, I have got him up 2 lbs. from what his pet weight has always been, as he is almost ten and we wanted a little more "cushion" on his lanky frame. He raced (in his very brief career) at 76 lbs.

Guest PhillyPups

My DonnieDude is a tall, lanky, looooong boy, raced at 80 lbs. He is very lean and has always been hard to put weight on. Zeus is a different big, he is very stocky. My girls are also large girls. They are all bigger than my friend, Lois' boy, Mikey.

I consider "big" to be around 30 inches or more the shoulder - this is the height Sunny is and he weighs around 90 pounds. I know when I was looking for a big boy, people kept pointing me towards dogs that were about 28 inches tall and 75 pounds, but this is just on the large size of average as far as I'm concerned. The tallest racing greyhound I've seen was 32 inches at the shoulder and the biggest show greyhound I saw was 34 inches.

Sophie is 28 inches tall and weighs 66 pounds - she is tall and slender.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

We have four boys in our two households and they look "big" compared to other greyhounds, especially females. Our boys range in weight from 74 to 80 pounds. When you line them up,the only one who looks really big is Emmet, who weighs the least but is white and very tall. I'd think a tall 90 lb greyhound would be a big greyhound.

There is a great Dane in our neighboring yard--we call her the Trojan Dog--she makes the greyhounds look like dalmatians in comparison. :P

Depends on the racing weight too. I used to think that Teddy was a big boy- he raced at 72 (now 83 and lean) compared to Beau's racing weight of 62 (still 64) but then we adopted Ollie who raced at 84- he will be a 90 pound boy!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest gurehaundo

Let me preface this by saying that this picture was taken in July 2008, shortly after we adopted Jac (on the right). Both Ace and Jac weigh 75 lbs. However, Ace is a bit taller (30") than Jac and is also leaner. Jac is my stocky boy.

DSC_0875.jpg

Simba is bigger than most greys I've known; he's at a good weight of 88 pounds now. He raced at 78 pounds, and I can only imagine how trim he must have been at that weight (when he came home this year, he was up to 95 pounds -- yikes!). When I asked the adoption group about him before I met him, the very first thing they told me was, "He's big, you know". He has a deathly fear of tape measures, silly boy, so I'm not going to torture him right now to get his height. His back length is 32", and I think he is 31" or 32" at the shoulder. Stella isn't a tiny girl -- she's about 60 pounds right now and needs to put on just a couple more, but she looks so small next to Simba. I still get asked which one is the boy and which the girl by folks, which I find a bit funny :)

The biggest ex-racer I've ever seen was about 105 or 110 pounds, and at least 33" at the shoulder -- he is just huge! He might have come home with me, except he was most definitely, in no way, cat trainable. I know he's in a good home now.

Guest GentleHugs

Let's see - out of my 7 kids that I have adopted:

Hannah - 26 inches tall - 65 lbs - pretty normal for an average girl

Romeo - 28 inches tall - 72 lbs - fairly normal for an average boy

Jackie - 25 inches tall - 58 lbs - small but a very muscular girl - was also my alpha, too. She didn't care how big the other dog was either.

Heisman - 30 inches tall - 80 lbs - big for a boy (had a HUGE neck though - measuring 25 1/2 inches around)

Ashley - 28 inches tall - 70 lbs - big for a girl

LuLu - 26 inches tall - 60 lbs - about average for a small girl but had the tiniest butt on her when she first came to me

Patrick - 32 inches tall - 71 lbs - (32 inches long and 32 inches around the chest) very tall and very long for a boy

All of them raced except for Hannah and all were within 5 lbs of their race weight. Romeo, Jackie and Heisman raced their full career. Ashley didn't do well at racing, LuLu was involved in a hauler accident and got her hip broke from being on the run for 5 months and Patrick sustained a career ending injury. He went on to be a stud and now he's a retired sire.

I've seen some male Greys that weighed well over 100 lbs (pet weight) and some have raced when they weighed in the 90's.

Personally, the big boys and the tiny little girls are my favorites but I love them all no matter how big or small they might be. I don't go by size or color - I go by personality. You can see pictures of my kids through the link in my siggie - especially Heisman's neck size. He looked like a front linebacker for a football team when I got him. I had to get a special extra large martingale made for him.

Hi,

I was just looking a thead with a 92lb boy and 54lb girl. Both look lovely :)

I know at the vet, they have a poster that says greyhounds are supposed to be between 60lb and 70lb I think? Aleeya is around 65-67 or so and Haka is about 83.5 at this time, and both look great and feel great and aren't fat. I think they're both on the "big" side for their sex.

What's considered "big", "normal", or "small" for boy and girl hounds? What's the biggest hound that's known about? Feel free to post pictures :)

I believe you are talking about my comparison of Steak and Isis :D

Steak is very, very tall! Here is the photo you were seeing...

Steakcouch.jpg

And here is another comparison so that you can see how tall he is. A different dog, Carmen, is 56 pounds but is the same height as Isis.

SteakandCarmen.jpg

I need to get out a measuring tape and see how tall he is at the shoulders... He is 32" at the shoulder. :)

Edited to add that Steak raced at 78 pounds. He isn't fat but he is filled out. He could probably lose about 5-6 pounds and be ok, but right now he is very healthy and looks great. He runs everyday with me as I am training for a half marathon right now. He is just a big boy.

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Hoolyghans

I'd say 60-70 lbs is a fair average for the breed but I've seen lots of greys outside of that range while perfectly healthy.

Abba is a trim 67 lbs, pretty big for a girl.

Spike is around 75 pounds and on the skinny side but he's not quite 2 yet. I think as he matures he'll fill out a bit.

Look in my signature block for the links to my girls pages on Greyhound-Data.com. If you look through that website, you can get a sense of the sizes of different dogs.

Daisy is about 62 lbs and Cosmo was about 72 lbs. I don't know heights, but relatively speaking, CoCo was both taller and longer than Daisy. The fist time I went to pick up Daisy I nearly fell over, because there was no dog there to hold onto, Daisy was so much shorter than Cosmo had been.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Bonny is the largest female greyhound DH and I have ever met... we attend most of our groups adoption days and two greyhound events per year too.

She is very tall, but also very lean at 75 lbs. Most people mistake her for a male due to her size.

ETA... just measured Bonny and she's about 30" at the shoulder. She's all legs though. We refer to her as our supermodel - long legs, skinny and "blond."

Bonny is in the center - next to our more "average" sized girls Celeste and Darcy.

IMG_1116.jpg

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest LindsaySF

There is a male in my group that weighs a healthy 95 pounds. We also just placed a black male whose racing weight was 90 pounds. He weighed 89 when he was neutered. I have seen females as small as 45 pounds and as large as 75 pounds.

Sophie is not very tall, but she's bulky and muscled, she weighs 75 pounds.

Teagan and Sooner are average for males, 73 and 65 pounds respectively. I'd like to get a little more weight on Sooner, but he's a picky eater.

Edit: Fix one of the weights.

Edited by LindsaySF

Bonny is the largest female greyhound DH and I have ever met... we attend most of our groups adoption days and two greyhound events per year too.

She is very tall, but also very lean at 75 lbs. Most people mistake her for a male due to her size.

Bonny is in the center - next to our more "average" sized girls Celeste and Darcy.

IMG_1116.jpg

Lily's a big girl too--between 75 and 80 pounds and just over 30 inches at the shoulder. Even at greyhound events, people say, "wow, that's a GIRL?!?!?" We love our big girl.... :beatheart

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

We have a big girl here... D.C raced at 72 lbs and her weight last spring was 79 lbs she is back down to 73 lbs due to thyroid issues we are now managing. when they brought her home to me i looked underneath because i thought they sent the wrong dog i was expecting a small female.

Vegas raced at 63 pounds, he is one teeny boy i now have him up to 68.5 lbs :colgate everyone i mean everyone calls him a pretty girl.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Saint raced at 89 1/2 lbs. He now weighs 94 lbs. and stays at that weight. His brothers also weigh between 89 - 92lbs. and his sister weighs around 80lbs. Since they are all littermates, you can see this was a very big litter of pups.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My Baz (Hoss's Herbie) was not quite 32" at the shoulder and raced at 87 lbs. He was injured and retired after just a few races. He had recurrent orthopedic problems and I wonder if they were related to his build. He had a gorgeous face, but his body looked like he was put together with TinkerToys. I forget how long he was, but when he was walking by you it felt like you were being passed by a super tanker.

Romie (Prime Force) and Nutmeg (Win Carole Win) are almost identical in size, about 26" at shoulder and 65-70 lbs. But Romie looks stalwart and solid (for a greyhound), while Nutmeg looks dainty and fine-boned. So I think frame has something to do with perceived size, as well as height and weight.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest sorenkkg

Yes, it was Steak and Isis I was thinking about, and comparing to Haka and Aleeya colgate.gif

Ok, looks like I should ge the measuring tape out :)

If we recall, Haka raced aroun 76lbs and Aleeya was in the low 60's... she's around 65 now and still looks a bit underfed (she is weird about her food...) and Haka chunked out a bit last year around 88 but we quickly got him down to 83-84 and he looks great now (never didn't look great, but just seemed a bit heavy).

Funny thing is, he's only maybe an inch taller than her (I'll measure later, they are, of course, snoozing) but much stockier and wider. From looking on grey-data and seeing them run around at grey play dates, she was the faster runner, I think at a better track, but got injured, then he got moved into her slot. She's still faster than him, and he prefers to spend his time harassing the dog running with him (which is a whole other thread)...

Robin is 30 inches at the shoulder, and 31 inches long from neck base to tail. He is usually one of the biggest when we go to greyhound events (of course, reading this thread, he doesn't seem too big). He raced at 74 pounds, and now he's 84 pounds, which seems to be pretty good for him. So maybe he's pretty tall compared to his weight? I'm not sure....but he's always bigger than the other greys!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).