Uveitis Due To Lymphoma

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

I have a dog with recurrent severe uveitis. We went to an ophthamologist today and this is the tentative diagnosis. We are running fungal and additional tick panels to rule those out for sure, but she doesn't think it is likely any of those. The dog has been on pred both oral and ocular for 3 months and it recurrs on the pred, so she is leaning towards lymphoma. The next step may be to do an abdominal ultrasound to try to find it there. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this?

My grey/whippet mix had a very bad, extended case of uveitis, lots of tests were done that came up with nothing. She was later diagnosed as hypothyroid, no recurrent bouts since the diagnosis and treatment, not sure if it was related. Good luck. I was told by the opthamologist uveitis can be hard to find a reason for and sometimes it just happens. I had it once, it was very painful.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

If you don't have other symptoms to go by, it sure is worth checking the thyroid. Linda's and I think it's ckruzan's are the only two I've heard of who had uveitis (or similar eye problem) related to hypothyroidism, but where there's two there could be more.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's interesting that it comes with the prednisone.

A number of autoimmune problems in humans involve uveitis; one of the more common is Reiter's syndrome, now known as reactive arthritis because Reiter was a Nazi doctor (no joke). He named it, even though it had been around long before the write-up. Anyway- it happens from a variety of infections, although most are sexually transmitted diseases. The triad of "can't see, can't pee, can't bend the knee" comes from uveitis, urethritis, and arthritis of the major joints.

So- not that this means squat in the veterinary sense, but given that pred is prone to lowering the immune system, maybe there's a subtle, recurring infection somewhere. Idiopathic uveitis is quite common.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest goofydog

Get Em was diagnosed with uveitis almost 2 years ago. He presented with a cloudy film in both eyes that steadily progressed from the bottom of the eye upwards. The ophthamologist ran a myriad of tests and the final dx was toxoplasmosis with the vector being the ingestion of feral kitty poop. After 3 weeks of clindomyacin he was in remission and still is. He started out with pred acetate eye drops twice a day and we slowly reduced it to once every other day.

Guest LittleGreys

Get Em was diagnosed with uveitis almost 2 years ago. He presented with a cloudy film in both eyes that steadily progressed from the bottom of the eye upwards. The ophthamologist ran a myriad of tests and the final dx was toxoplasmosis with the vector being the ingestion of feral kitty poop. After 3 weeks of clindomyacin he was in remission and still is. He started out with pred acetate eye drops twice a day and we slowly reduced it to once every other day.

Interesting. They sent out a test for toxoplasmosis, we should have the results back in a few days. Did he have any other symptoms than the uveitis? She is a cat poop eater....

Guest goofydog

Interesting. They sent out a test for toxoplasmosis, we should have the results back in a few days. Did he have any other symptoms than the uveitis? She is a cat poop eater....

No other symptoms, just the creeping cloudiness. His eyes stay a little cloudy even with the drops and folks always think he has either blue eyes or cataracts. His visual acuity is not hampered at all. At a field trial he follows the lure and also spots squirrels/critters from quite a distance. I do get him titred each spring to make sure it is in remission. While it is still a disease it is very manageable.