Server Move And Update Info

Jeff

I am going to attempt to move the forum onto the new server this weekend (Friday - Sunday) Expect some intermittent erratic behavior,... and the forum might not work right either lol

A few things to absorb.

1. Be Patient.. the move is mandatory, it isn't an optional thing I can put off a bit as I wanted to do.

2. Be Patient.. the new forum skin (visual design) is not currently as good looking as this one.

3. Be Patient.. I plan to install a separate skin that looks very similar to this one, but it is still in beta testing and far from perfect.

4. Be Patient.. A minor point update to the forum software is very close, x.04 to x.05 so i won't do much customization to the current (new) software that will need to be redone a week later. This will mean when we first initially make the move, it will be a stock skin without GT logo, etc. I'll change that fairly quickly, but be patient.

5. Be Patient.. remarks like (I don't like the look of the new skin, it is too dark) will just make me say "Turn on a light"... Customization will come in time. I can't do it beforehand, because the new forum software will not run on the old server, and while the old forum software will run on the new server, other things will not, like the helpdesk, the events system, etc. And if I code on the new server, once I move the database (users and posts) to the new server, and restore it, all the customization will be lost, so we are between a rock and a hard place. Be patient.

6. Be Patient.. Nobody likes change, and every reiteration of Greytalk we hear that over and over. This is probably #5 in just over 9 years. We survived, and we'll survive again, don't sweat it.

7. Be Patient.. Chat... An incorporated chat script was just released in beta today, I'll install that so the chat room will continue. It will be different than the current one, but will still be an option :)

8. Be Patient.. I will change the gallery to one incorporated into the forum, this should be good for everyone who uses it :)

9. Be Patient.. some of our services will need to be recoded, some things are currently in the works, and holiday vacation later this month will give me time to fix things before I head out to sea again ;)

10. Be Patient.. there should not be too much down time, probably an hour to move and get things running on the new server, and then just waiting for your ISP's DNS server to update, that could potentially be the slow part for you. I'll hopefully be able to give you an IP address to access the new forum once I move DNS over. If not you will be directed here to the current forum which I will close, and once your ISP DNS resolves you will be automagically forwarded to the new server.

11. Be Patient.. If you text is too small, like it is after EVERY major update, change the text size in your browser.

12. Be Patient.. Happy Holidays :xmas:lol

13. Secret Santa participants - make sure you have a copy of everything, especially if you have not shipped yet.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest PhillyPups

Does this mean you want to be a doctor with a lot of patience? :lol

Good luck with all the work ahead of you and thank you for taking good care of us and explaining what to expect.

Guest IndysDad

Thanks for the heads up...I'm going to be spending the weekend sitting in my favorite chair in the comfort of my own home, watching football in my underwear and sampling a few of the leftover Thanksgiving libations. :D

So if I read your post correctly, everything will be completed about five minutes after you start, and it will all be exactly like it is now, right? :lol

Thanks for the heads up - do we have enough in the coffers? I'm a week away from payday, but once it hits, I could renew my supporter status early...

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Thanks for the heads up - do we have enough in the coffers? I'm a week away from payday, but once it hits, I could renew my supporter status early...

It would go much smoother if we were sitting on a balcony in Hawaii.....

Yeah, everything is smoother from Hawaii. :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

:lol

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff :)

I won't be tempted to come to GT to waste time when I should be doing homework then :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

do we need to do anything with our PM's that are saved?

and thanks!!!! for all your hard work! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks for all your hard work. GreyTalk is a very important part of my life.

Blessings of the season to you and yours.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

7. Be Patient.. Chat... An incorporated chat script was just released in beta today, I'll install that so the chat room will continue. It will be different than the current one, but will still be an option
:kiss2

Curiosity question - I just created a poll on a different message board I belong to. (it's powered by phpbb, it says at the bottom)

On their polls, I can set it up to allow multiple answers, allow voters to change their votes, and I can specify a time-frame for the poll to run (x number of days, and then it doesn't allow any more votes)

Is the new software changing the polls at all? Because I thought those were pretty cool options (on the downside, there could only be one poll question)

It would go much smoother if we were sitting on a balcony in Hawaii.....

If I could afford to send you there, I'd join you. **note to self: buy lottery ticket** :lol

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Thanks Jeff and Trudy, for making this available to us. Greytalk has been a lifeline for me when I needed cheering and laughs to recover from the devastations of life, the most tremendous source of comfort when I lost Bessie, and the best place to research medical and training problems.

sue

Jeff, many many thanks to you for all the time and hard work you put into making GT the best forum ever. However, by doing this, you have created a multitude of GT crackheads, who are so addicted that we need our fix instantly and continously. Patience is not a word in a crackhead's vocabulary.

I will take Xanax and drink wine to get thru this difficult time ahead. Thank you for the warning; off to the store to stock up on boxes of wine.

Connie

no, they will be fine. Deleting ones you no longer need will help the upgrade speed though. Converting PMs is the slowest part of the upgrade script.

On their polls, I can set it up to allow multiple answers, allow voters to change their votes, and I can specify a time-frame for the poll to run (x number of days, and then it doesn't allow any more votes)

We can already do multiple choice polls, I'mm never be a fan of changing votes, and 'I' can set open/close times for threads. Not sure about users. I'll look into that, but I don't think that is an option.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

no, they will be fine. Deleting ones you no longer need will help the upgrade speed though. Converting PMs is the slowest part of the upgrade script.

I just cleaned out my inbox - maybe a thread asking people to do that would help you? I don't want to step on any toes by starting a thread like that myself, but I'm happy to do so if you'd like.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~