Cheapest Way To Obtain Subq Fluids

Guest suenotto

Guest suenotto

Hi All,

My 12 yo Lily needs 1000ml saline solution/week for the rest of her life due to kidney problems. I currently pay $12/bag at my vet. I found I can buy it significantly cheaper online. I found a site offering the same thing at 12 (1 case) for $33.74.

So I have asked my vet to write me a prescription so I can buy it cheaper elsewhere. I have not heard back from her yet, but in case she is unable (hospital rules) to write the script, does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get a script or otherwise obtain it without a script?

I know many supplies that require a script for dogs and cats do not require one for horses and livestock. Your help is appreciated. Times are tough for everyone right now, but I don't want to compromise my pup's health because of it.

Thanks

Sue

Guest fruitypebbles

what type of "saline" is it? Is it Normosol R, LR, D5W, etc. That's important. Secondly, will your vet still supply the set? A new one should be used each week since there's a good chance to introduce an infection if the set isn't changed with each bag.

Sounds like fruitypebbles has you covered as soon as you say which type of fluids you need.

I have to run DH to the doctor and will be gone for 2-3 hours. But I'll check back when i return and see if you still need info on where to obtain. I used to have a kidney disease cat (two actually) and got fluids over the internet, cheaply!

Sorry to be so brief! Also sorry about your situation, but fluids will help your dog tremendously, so don't despair.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

You may be able to buy the bags + IV kits locally; I live in a large metro area, and $30-some for 12 bags sounds about right. If the shipping's not cheap, picking them up locally may drop the price some. The infusion kits can be bought on eBay, surprisingly enough; provided they're new-in-box and up to date, there's no reason not to use them- but again, a large distributor will probably cost about the same, or a little less. Plus, there's no absolute guarantee that stuff on eBay has been stored correctly for its entire life.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest suenotto
what type of "saline" is it? Is it Normosol R, LR, D5W, etc. That's important. Secondly, will your vet still supply the set? A new one should be used each week since there's a good chance to introduce an infection if the set isn't changed with each bag.

Its just 1000 ml of .9% NaCl, nothing else added. I use the same dripset for 3 bags but change the needle every time per the vet's instructions. Sure a new dripset every time would be better, but if my vet says using it a few times is fine, I'm sure the chance of infection is very low. Dripsets cost $5 each and needles $.20 each. I have not decided where I will get these.

I have some veterinary training myself, so not to worry, things like the different types of solutions for different uses does not escape my attention.

Which coast are you closest to? All the fluids I bought through the Internet came from the East Coast, and I'm on the West, so shipping was more expensive than the fluids. My latest vet then volunteered to sell them to me close to wholesale, which solved that problem. I bought a case at time.

Shipping's not a cost issue on the drip sets. I used one set per five bags of saline with no problems over five years of doing it. I'll get back to you on sources when I find out if you're east or west.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BiancasMom

I have heard of people getting a case of fluids and boxes of needles from a human pharmacy with a written prescription. I'm not sure what prices are in your area but in mine they are cheaper through the pharmacy. Online prices might be better though.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

This is the link to the Yahoo forum for people with CRF cats. They have lots of information about where to get sub-q fluids. If you're not comfortable devulging your whereabouts in terms of East or West, you can search their archives for the info. But I think you may have to join to do that. Since I'm still a member, I'd be happy to do it for you and post the results here. Whatever you prefer.

I'm sorry but it has been a few years since I had to buy them other than from my vet, so I don't remember my old vendors' names off the top of my head.

All the best,

Mary

Guest suenotto
Which coast are you closest to? All the fluids I bought through the Internet came from the East Coast, and I'm on the West, so shipping was more expensive than the fluids. My latest vet then volunteered to sell them to me close to wholesale, which solved that problem. I bought a case at time.

Shipping's not a cost issue on the drip sets. I used one set per five bags of saline with no problems over five years of doing it. I'll get back to you on sources when I find out if you're east or west.

I live in the Allentown/Bethlehem area of Pennsylvania.

The problem is not that I don't know where to buy..Here is the place to get a doz bags for $33 plus a flat $8 shipping or free ship if I spend more than $100

http://www.jrsmedical.com/INFUSION-IV_SUPP...00/product.aspx

The problem is this: if for some reason my vet can not write a script (I know the hospital will not deal with online pharmacies) then is there some way to obtain fluids without a script or is there a greyhound vet on here who I can discuss my dog's case with in order to get a script.. this is the problem. Getting the prescription is the problem.

Edited by suenotto

Guest suenotto

Currently I am paying $12/bag. Just for the fluids its costing me $50/mo. Its insane, I became especially upset when I found out how cheap these bags are going for elsewhere ($2.75/bag!)

Are you able to get the fluids? or are you just reminding me to check the bag so I get the right thing?

Guest fruitypebbles

I am reminding you to check the bag because giving Normosol M v.s. Normosol R (as well as any other alternate solution) can have dire consequences, so please make sure you are looking at the correct bag before ordering. My guess is you are using either Normosol R or LR, but that's just a guess.

Please make sure you can get a new line set with each bag. To keep reusing your set and needle will increase your risk for infections. An IV set (the line) will be about $5 per set and then a box of 18 or 20 guage needles will also be needed. Before getting the fluids, see if your vet can supply these to you. You'll really want to make sure that you always have a new line with each bag.

Have you told your vet that you're having difficulty affording the IV fluids? Have you asked if you can buy a case at their cost? If you have a good relationship with your vet and speak honestly, they may be able to help you out. The cost isn't so much the bags, it's the line sets and each time they give you a new bag and set, they are adding on a dispensing fee. See if you can talk to them. Again, you're going to be doing this for while, they may work with you. Good luck .

If you still decide to get the IV Fluids on your own, please make sure you are dealing with a reputable pharmacy.

Good luck to you and Lily.

Edited by fruitypebbles

Guest jfroggirl76

I don't know how I missed this topic, but I too am curious if I can buy sub q fluids on line. I give sub q fluids to my cat who is in renal failure & the vet just bumped up the dosage.

It cost me about $25.00 for a bag, new line and 10 needles. Can I buy them cheaper on line?

Edited by jfroggirl76

I bought a case (12 bags) of Braun Lactated Ringers Solution from Wal-Mart for $27.68 (in 2007-2008). I got the venosets and needles from Brico, link below. I used 1 venoset per bag but changed the needle each time.

http://www.bricomedicalsupplies.com/CRFpage.html

Brico is great and they also sell fluids, but you will pay a premium for shipping. Definitely check Wal-Mart if you have it in your area. They will want the NDC code to look up the item in the system, as it may not be something they normally order.

Check this link for NDC codes:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/ndc.htm

Good luck.