Bald Spots

Guest amlab2002

Guest amlab2002

Hi, i'm new to the group and adopted a 3 year old black greyhound 2 months ago...he has several spots with no fur--thighs, belly, neck(throat area) and behind his ears...so far, no signs of new growth...i was reading about alopecia in dogs and am wondering if this might be what he has going on--healthy in every other way...anyone else have a dog with similar bald areas?

Guest scfilby

Lots of greys have no fur on those areas. Our Cy is bald in all those places also except the butt. Our Mickey has fur in all those areas except her butt..

Unless there were other symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to GT...

Yup...some are just bald. All 3 of my greys are naked in those places. In fact my little girl, Lorelei, came to me at 15 months old with a full, thick coat that covered everything. When summer came she shed it out and developed a bald butt, belly, thighs, and neck. :rolleyes:

Naked belly, check:

Jroach_036c.jpg

Naked ears, check (his neck happens to have hair at this time, sometimes he sheds it out):

kitchenwatching_cpr.jpg

Naked butt, check (sorry about the dangly bits, he is neutered now):

Josephbutt2_c.jpg

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sja5032

A lot and I mean a lot, possibly the majority, of greyhounds have the exact same bald spots. No one really knows why, greys that never raced have them, greys that raced a long time have them, greys that have been pets for years have them. Its not detrimental to the dog, and unless there are some other symptoms, there is probably nothing wrong with your dog.

There are a variety of techniques to try and get the hair to grow in these spots, which I'm sure many people here can share if you are interested. Otherwise you can just enjoy your new grey and his nekkid parts! :lol:

Guest Energy11
Naked belly, check:

Jroach_036c.jpg

Naked ears, check (his neck happens to have hair at this time, sometimes he sheds it out):

kitchenwatching_cpr.jpg

Naked butt, check (sorry about the dangly bits, he is neutered now):

Josephbutt2_c.jpg

:)

Nekked, CUTE, and a Roman Nose! Man oh man! Gotta love him! :wub::wub:

Guest amlab2002

He's off the track since late Sept 09...other than a drippy nose that the vet checked-no other symptoms, might be stress might just be drippy, and whining loudly and long for a while when I first went back to work, he's been great! so even tho the vet told me not to worry, i found it odd that in the Dummies book and Adopting the retired racing greyhound, when bald spots are mentioned,it's all blamed on the crate and we are advised not to worry it will grow back...i'm not overly concerned (except that he is more prone to chills and sunburn!) but was just a bit surprised to learn this is common, not necessary crate related and it won't grow back..no worries, he's still the most wonderful and beautiful dog in the world to me, but just curious as to how common it is and if anyone found something that did help with regrowth..thanks

You mean like this!?

TEDDY2051.jpg

or

sept10002.jpg

of my 4, Teddy has the most baldness and the hair he does have is very thin/fine/

Elsie has a thick lush coat and so did Beau before the pred.

Chloe had bald spots however she was hypothyroid and after on the correct meds, she gre back a lot of the hair she had lost.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Growing it back: Some do, some don't, time and love is the best medicine. Altho cold weather will sometimes get those ol' follicles going, too :lol . My Joseph (in the pictures above) got some pretty good hair growth on his buttsky last winter but shed a lot of it out again over the summer.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's very common. All of my 5 greys have had bald spots to various extents. Two of them grew some fur in once they came to my house, three did not. There are various oils and products that contribute to a healthy coat that might help fur regrowth. Salmon oil is what we use currently here. Welcome to you and your black boy! What's his name?

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Dont worry to much about it my boy vegas is very obviously balding... he is fawn and his skin is brown! he does grown some fur on his bum/thighs in the winter but it falls out again in the summer and he gets his tan. we use dried sea kelp to help us grow it back in the winter we were told about that trick from a greyhound breeder/owner we know and it works well for his dogs.

DSC_0380.jpg

Edited by Lovey_Hounds