Advice Needed - Dental Sealant

Guest AKJZD

I am taking my greyhound for his second dental this week, the first was before we adopted him 3 yrs ago. Our vet is recommending a dental sealant, Sanos, following the cleaning. I do not know much about this, and am wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used this product. Jake has a very sensitive tummy so we cannot use turkey necks to keep his teeth clean. We do brushing as often as possible, but he really fights it and we cannot do a very good job. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest goodtimekid
I am taking my greyhound for his second dental this week, the first was before we adopted him 3 yrs ago. Our vet is recommending a dental sealant, Sanos, following the cleaning. I do not know much about this, and am wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used this product. Jake has a very sensitive tummy so we cannot use turkey necks to keep his teeth clean. We do brushing as often as possible, but he really fights it and we cannot do a very good job. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kid's teeth were a mess but his gum line was worse. After his dental last March the vet recommended oravet sealant which we use and it has made a huge difference.

It's easy getting it on his teeth, I have to dry them with a paper towel and then paint it on. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest allbark

Hi, I had Sanos put on my dog, and his gums look great. I was able to find their website, so you can check it out for yourself at www.allaccem.com Also from what I know, it is a non-toxic liquid polymer that is applied along and under the gumline and dries in a matter of seconds. Another thing to note is that there is no take home application for the homeowner unlike oravet. Since you are fighting to do any home compliance with Jake, this would be a plus. Hope this helps....

ruff ruff :)

Periodontal sealants for dogs are a "might help, won't hurt" kind of thing, as far as I can see.

From what I've seen, research is lacking on showing that it really helps in the long term, but short-term studies are good.

If you can afford to do it, go ahead.

There is no FDA approved product for human use that is similar to what is used on dogs, so I can't speak from any experience on

my human patients.

If you do decide to try it, please let us know what you think. It might be interesting to try it on one side of the mouth (for half price??) and see

how the two sides of the mouth compare after some time.

Edited by Sharpshot

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler had a history of minor auto-immune gum infections, and our vets used a product called Doxyrobe in his last dental, and I really think it helped him. My understanding is that it's similar to what Allbark described--a "caulk-like" substance that they pack in and around the gums and teeth, with some long-term anti-biotic properties. It's not visible, although I suspect that after the application there was probably some discomfort for a few hours/days. I believe it does eventually wear off and need to be re-applied (although Whistler's lasted at least two years before he died).