Broken Toenail By The Quick - Help!

Guest ProudGreyMom

Guest ProudGreyMom

Andy was running outside and when he came in his toenail was broken just at about the halfway point. It was bleeding but but has stopped. The broken portion of the nail is still there. Do we cut it :unsure Or will that make it worse? I am afraid it will break off on him and the quick will bleed worse.

Help!

Guest Energy11

I wouldn't break it off. Do you have any Quikstop in the house? If not, you can pack the nail with flour or cornstarch, OR go the pharmacy and they have products there to stop the bleeding. Here is something from our first aid presentation from Mt. Hounds that might help. Good Luck!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thank you! We did use the cornstarch right away. He is having a chewie so that he will lay down and let it heal up a bit. I will get some antiobiotic cream on it also.

Guest Energy11
Thank you! We did use the cornstarch right away. He is having a chewie so that he will lay down and let it heal up a bit. I will get some antiobiotic cream on it also.

Great. You are on the right track! Any dollar store or Wal-mart sells toddler socks. I keep a good supply of them, just for these types of things. You can cut the end out of one of your socks, too, and use it, too. It is just a little hard to tape it on. Good Luck!

Guest Energy11
One good thing is that he is pretty much down for the night. Once his highness gets into his bed by the fire, he will lay there for hours.

I KNOW what you mean! Last night, now get this ... I slept on a quilt on the FLOOR, because my girls had the daybed I sleep on in the living room. DH sleeps in his room, because, he is always cold, me, always warm, and we have to share our beds with the greys! Anyway, yes, once ours are settled in, that is that!

Good Luck with that nail! Hugs to you guys from us!

If the broken part of the nail is completely separated from the quick you should be able to clip it off - you might even be able to use human nail clippers since they are smaller and easier to negotiate. It will make him more comfy for it to be off. If you are hesitant to clip it off, it will take the vet's office about 10 seconds. You should expect his toe to be sore for a few days.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

Soul did this once . . . .split it all the way up to the quick. When we went to be that night I could tell it was hurting him by the way he kept slightly moving his leg. Took him to the vet the next day and they had to take it all the way off, otherwise it was just going to keep hurting him and/or he would probably snag on something and make it worse.

Psi tore his but it was allthe way to the top of the nailbed. The vet had to remove it (just pulled it out) and was wrapped for 24 hours cause he is a bleeder. Good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thanks guys. I will definately check him before bed and in the AM. The nail is weird, its not broken and hanging, its like cracked at the quick.

Poor little guy.