Server Status Update

Jeff

I have been working on the server move over the last week.

I have the new site up and running, and was able to convert our existing forum database, so everything here on the forum will remain intact ;)

I am still working on the skin (how things display) it will be a little darker, but have a lot of neat options...here is a quick peek

GT_Update.png

I have the helpdesk support system up and running, but the integration still needs to be done. Things like avatars, and the support pages people use to contact the GT staff

I'll update our current gallery, then convert it to the new one. It needs to be updated before it is converted... 2 steps forward, one step back :lol

I have been in contact with the developer we used last time to create the Events system (Secret Santa) and the like, and he will set some time aside in about 2 weeks to update some of our mods to the new system.

Ideally nothing is really lost in the move, the hardest part is making the forum skin look something like what we are used to here, and coding the integration into the support system. Things like making sure the donation info works in My Controls, avatars, and creating a new registration spam control. Currently we block over 1000 domains from registration in order to keep the forum spam free for you guys. We also have a few other ways, that require moderator interaction. Ideally we'll open up domain registration, and block out the bad in different ways that don't require much from the moderators. Our stuff works great now, when was the last time you saw a spam post make it to the public forum. It has been years :) But our current restrictions do limit new members, and the spammers that do make it are snagged in other ways, before their posts hit the forum. My plan is to reduce registration woes and to reduce required moderator workload a bit.

The final forum database conversion (the cut over point) will only take about an hour, two at most, and you will have plenty of notice before that happens.

Once that is done, I'll switch the DNS, so when you type greytalk.com you are pointed to the new server, not the old. I'll also provide you all the IP address so you can access it before DNS is populated through the internet. Basically once I change the DNS, all ISP's need to populate on their end, so you can be redirected. Not a big deal, but it can take from a few minutes to 24 hours, depending of your ISP. I changed over Trudy's email today, and it only took 5 minutes. That was my ISP, your mileage may vary.

large.greyhound_signature.gif