Bully Sticks Made My Dogs Sick

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest 3greysinPA

Yesterday we did a meet and greet at SuperPetz..... and before i left i bought my hounds bully sticks... They were made by Merrick... said it contained 100% beef tendon..Anyway.. had the hounds in their kennel last night for about 2 hours while trick or treaters were here... with the bully sticks... Figgy barely touched his .. But Lilly loved it and Faye loved it..

Well in the middle of the night... Faye was puking :( ... and then this morning Faye and Lilly both refused to eat breakfast... :huh

I did check their bellies... No tenderness...

any thoughts please?

any one else's hounds ever get sick from them?

Guest greyhound9797

Bully sticks ARE natural products (they are actually dehydrated bull penis). It could be that the smoke that Merrick uses upset Faye's tummy but it wouldn't really explain why the other 2 wouldn't eat. Piper has eaten them several times, but never a whole one in one sitting, without any problems.

Sandra in FL

Guest 3greysinPA
I only let my dogs have them for 20-30 minutes at a time. Maybe it was just too much all at once. My small dogs also do well with only half an hour with the stick. Sticks last 3 or 4 sessions over a few weeks.

sue

YES, I Bet that is what i did wrong.. i did not know that..

thank you Sue

I don't give them to Cookie anymore. I've found they cause some stomach upset and diarrhea. I think they work for some stomachs and not others.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest 3greysinPA
I don't give them to Cookie anymore. I've found they cause some stomach upset and diarrhea. I think they work for some stomachs and not others.

thank you for your reply...

i have 2 sick dogs here today... Faye and Lilly are both just laying here looking at me .. i can tell they are not feeling well..

Does anyone think i should give them some pepto bismol?

After a couple of upset tummies, I don't give them to Holly any more either. I think pepcid will help.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest 3greysinPA
I've never given Pepto, but I do give mine TUMS. Do you have any TUMS? Or even Pepcid?

yes,, i have pepcid...

going to give them one each now..

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia gets one almost everyday,,but , she is only allowed to eat 4 inchs then I take it and she knows it. Don't know how but she knows when she has eaten as much as I want ther to and she'll drop it for daddy to see. I wouldn't ever consider letting her eat more and I never let her finish one because that last inch or two she will swallow whole and it comes out the way it went in,,in one piece. Yeah, they are natural but that doesn't mean they digest 100%.

Guest arlosmom

I have given them to mine with no ill effects but I do not let them eat the whole stick. About 15-20 minutes of chewing and I take them away put them in a plasic bag in the freezer for later.

Guest 3greysinPA

Thank you for all the replies.....I did give them Pepcid... and I am waiting till closer to 5pm to give them dinner...

We just got home from Target.. we were gone for about an hour... and now they seem much better... so keeping my fingers crossed.

Guest shanesmom

I'm sorry your pups are not feeling well. Hope they feel better soon. Elton gets a bully stick 2-3 times a week. He eats the entire 6 inch stick with no problems. Even my angel greyhound Shane ate bully sticks with no problems and he had a very sensitive stomach. I guess some dogs do better with them than others. Maybe the girls don't tolerate beef well?

Guest 3greysinPA
Glad the girls are feeling better. My dogs are with Figgy. They don't care for bully sticks.

Figgy tried it... Didnt like it... then Faye stole his... No wonder Faye and Lilly got sick. I am the one to blame... I had no idea they were not supposed to eat the whole thing... I feel awful... its my fault they got sick.

I wouldn't ever consider letting her eat more and I never let her finish one because that last inch or two she will swallow whole and it comes out the way it went in,,in one piece. Yeah, they are natural but that doesn't mean they digest 100%.

This is the only problem I've had with the Merrick... they swallow the last bit whole and puke it up. I now only feed our greys the bully stix I get from fritofeet here on GT. They last a lot longer and haven't caused any issues.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Try the tendons or the curls. They can eat the whole thing without upset.

http://crazyforcollars.com/bonesandchews/freerangechews.html

FWIW, I've given 12 inch and 6 inch bully sticks without issue. The only reason we don't give them anymore is because spud swallows the last two inches. ;)

Oh, and because they stink. :lol

Edited by BlackandBrindle

FWIW, I've given 12 inch and 6 inch bully sticks without issue. The only reason we don't give them anymore is because spud swallows the last two inches. ;)

This is fritofeet's website... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these bully stixs. It takes 2 days for our girls to eat a 6" one. It used to take about 20 minutes for them to eat a 6" Merrick. These don't smell either. :)

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest 3greysinPA

yes... the smell was not pleasant :sick

and

yep.. that is what Faye must have done... she swallowed the last few inches whole.. becuase that is what came up when she puked... :(

Nah, not so much. You didn't know. If you do the same thing again, THEN it will be your fault. :P

Agreed. ;)

Dehydrated bull penis??? :chow Really? I've never purchased them so I had no idea.

I think we'll stick with biscuits and vegetables.

:lol :lol You can sort of see why whoever originally came up with marketing them decided to call them "bully sticks" rather than, er, "peenie sticks."

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I used to give Wendy Merrick and other (Red Wagon?) brand chews but they gave her the squirts. I switched to Moo brand and no more tummy issues!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Hi,

Our three get them either in 6" or 12" varieties and polish them off. They're natural and from Brazil -- no additives, hormones. Only Rita has a problem with them; if she eats the last inch or two it comes up at 4 AM. Otherwise, they don't bother her either. OnlyNaturalPets is having a sale on them right now; just ordered the 6" ones this morning. :)