Lexi Is Fighting For Her Life:(

Guest greyvettech

Alan had the same disease - high blood pressure and glomerular nephritis. He was on spironolactone 25mg; norvasc & another BP pill. Once the BP came down, he was better. Good luck, continued prayers. My vet consulted with Dr. Couto.

Edited by ss556

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyvettech
Alan had the same disease - high blood pressure and glomerular nephritis. He was on spironolactone 25mg; norvasc & another BP pill. Once the BP came down, he was better. Good luck, continued prayers. My vet consulted with Dr. Couto.

Sorry your guy had this but I'm glad there is someone who knows a bit about this horrible thing. My vet said she had glomerulonphritis which lead to nephrotic syndrome... I did read this was common in some breeds such as the greyhound. I sure hope these meds make her edema and ascities go away and she can get back to her old self! Dr. C said she would need these meds for life. I'm fine with that, as long as they give her a good quality of life:) She is roaching on the couch next to me :)

Yes, what WOULD we all do without Dr. Couto?! I think the spironolactone will help the ascities a lot! Lasix just wouldn't work in this case, not being a loop diuretic and all. Curfew is also on Enalapril, 20 mg, sid, and it works wonderfully.

Sounds like you guys are doing all you can, and, we're hoping Lexi pulls out of this soon, and gets back to her old self. You guys HAVE been through a lot!

Love, hugs and tons of prayers heading your way! Dee and The Five

Thanks Dee! Yeah, I def have to try everything...I just hope this works for her.. I'm very glad I consulted with him again. He is so nice to take time out of his busy schedule to chat with my vet for a couple minutes.

Guest Energy11

Sorry your guy had this but I'm glad there is someone who knows a bit about this horrible thing. My vet said she had glomerulonphritis which lead to nephrotic syndrome... I did read this was common in some breeds such as the greyhound. I sure hope these meds make her edema and ascities go away and she can get back to her old self! Dr. C said she would need these meds for life. I'm fine with that, as long as they give her a good quality of life:) She is roaching on the couch next to me :)

Yes, what WOULD we all do without Dr. Couto?! I think the spironolactone will help the ascities a lot! Lasix just wouldn't work in this case, not being a loop diuretic and all. Curfew is also on Enalapril, 20 mg, sid, and it works wonderfully.

Sounds like you guys are doing all you can, and, we're hoping Lexi pulls out of this soon, and gets back to her old self. You guys HAVE been through a lot!

Love, hugs and tons of prayers heading your way! Dee and The Five

Thanks Dee! Yeah, I def have to try everything...I just hope this works for her.. I'm very glad I consulted with him again. He is so nice to take time out of his busy schedule to chat with my vet for a couple minutes.

You are doing eveything you can for Lexi, for sure. I truly think the spironolactone will work for the ascities. My husband, who had malignant ascities from cancer, was on it, AND Lasix, and it really helped. Glad she is roaching! Good sign! Love and hugs from here! Yes, Dr. Couto is a VERY sweet man!

Glad she seems to be feeling better--that's the most important thing!! Doesn't it warm your heart to see them roaching again. Dr Couto put my girl on somewhat of the same medication protocol. She has PLN secondary to an auto-immune disease. I have her on a home-cooked moderately low-protein food mixed with N/F and she's also taking 20mgs of aspirin once day and 10mgs of Enalapril twice a day. She's still losing protein in her urine but, she's still taking pred which doesn't help. So far her blood proteins are holding strong.

Hoping your girlie continues to feel better!!!

Guest greyvettech
Glad she seems to be feeling better--that's the most important thing!! Doesn't it warm your heart to see them roaching again. Dr Couto put my girl on somewhat of the same medication protocol. She has PLN secondary to an auto-immune disease. I have her on a home-cooked moderately low-protein food mixed with N/F and she's also taking 20mgs of aspirin once day and 10mgs of Enalapril twice a day. She's still losing protein in her urine but, she's still taking pred which doesn't help. So far her blood proteins are holding strong.

Hoping your girlie continues to feel better!!!

Glad to hear your girl is holding strong! I actually didn't want lexi to have to wait to start the diaretic so I went to the pharmacy to pick it up. I certaintly don't want her to develop more ascities as I worry about breathing problems. She seems a little bit more comfortable..Good thing is she likes the k/d..... Hope your girl remains strong:)

Sending more prayers and gentle scritchies for lovely Lexi.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Wow! Glad Lexi like the KD. Goldie HATES it. :-(

I am glad the diuretic is helping. You're surely right, you don't want that fluid getting into her lungs.

Good luck and lots of love!

Guest greyvettech

Thank you so much. Poor Lexi has been through so much. She is doing ok but with PLN you lose muscle mass, and I feel like every day she is losing more and more no matter how much she eats. I know she has had only had five doses of her new meds, but I hate to see her body condition like this. I hope the meds just need a little more time to kick in.Well, it didn't help that 6 days before this condition set in, she didnt eat because of HUS. Besides the fact she is exhausted, I don't feel she is in any pain... She has to stop losing muscle mass or she will literally be skin and bones. It's only fair to give her more time. I refuse to give up on her because she is not showing me that she is in pain. Thanks for keeping her in your prayers. It means so much!

Lexi :wub: :wub:

Been thinking of you and your girl. Sending prayers and some hugs for both of you, with some scritchies just for prettiest girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

What a beautiful girl, Lexi is! She looks A LOT like my Bold Energy.

You are doing a GREAT job taking care of her! Like any other bad disease, and recovering from it, it takes time to build up the body.

How is the ascities doing?

Love ya and lots of hugs! Dee and The Five