Lexi Is Fighting For Her Life:(

Guest greyvettech

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyvettech

Thanks again guys...it has been quite a roller coaster, for sure. She does have ascites and she is losing too much protein in her urine.. She may have glomerulonephritis but not sure yet :( As my vet says, she doesn't know how to get sick-she does not go by the textbook...lol .he has been practicing for 20 years and has never seen a case quite like hers.We repeated the labs and I faxed them to Dr. Couto for his expert opinion. She is still stable and eating/drinking and all that good stuff. her kidney values have gotten slightly better.She got her iv cath out today and she is really thankful for that! I will keep you posted. Hugs to all who has helped me through this horrible time....

Guest Energy11
Thanks again guys...it has been quite a roller coaster, for sure. She does have ascites and she is losing too much protein in her urine.. She may have glomerulonephritis but not sure yet :( As my vet says, she doesn't know how to get sick-she does not go by the textbook...lol .he has been practicing for 20 years and has never seen a case quite like hers.We repeated the labs and I faxed them to Dr. Couto for his expert opinion. She is still stable and eating/drinking and all that good stuff. her kidney values have gotten slightly better.She got her iv cath out today and she is really thankful for that! I will keep you posted. Hugs to all who has helped me through this horrible time....

Is your vet concerned with the ascities? I wouldn't think Lasix is an option, as it is a loop diuauretic. I wonder what Dr. Couto will come up with?

Please keep us posted, and lots of love and hugs to Lexi!

Guest greyvettech

Update: Per Dr. Couto- Lexi has protein losing nephropathy (secondary to having HUS) and she also has hypertension (or very high blood pressure) So, he has recommened to put her on enalapril 15mg once daily for high blood pressure,then start on twice daily after seven days, and a quarter tablet baby asprin once daily and spironolactone for blood pressure and protein losing nephrotic syndrome 25mg twice daily. She has started all except spironolactone because I had to order it but it will be here tomorrow morning. So, now we know why she has ascities, or fluid on the abdomen. Otherwise, she is still doing good in other aspects except for the fact that because of her high loss of protein, she looks somewhat like a malnourished pregnant greyhound:( I have hope that after a couple days of all the meds, she will be on the mend. What would I do with out Dr. C? He said this treatment is somewhat experimental, but at this point, we have to do something and I trust him. Important thing is that she still seems ok and is very slowly returning to her old self!

Wow, what a roller coaster you and Lexi have been riding. Glad to hear that Dr Couto knows what is wrong and has a plan to help Lexi. Sending prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Energy11

Yes, what WOULD we all do without Dr. Couto?! I think the spironolactone will help the ascities a lot! Lasix just wouldn't work in this case, not being a loop diuretic and all. Curfew is also on Enalapril, 20 mg, sid, and it works wonderfully.

Sounds like you guys are doing all you can, and, we're hoping Lexi pulls out of this soon, and gets back to her old self. You guys HAVE been through a lot!

Love, hugs and tons of prayers heading your way! Dee and The Five