Laryngeal Paralysis

Guest BoandLazMom

Guest BoandLazMom

Has anyone had any experience with a greyhound having laryngeal paralysis. We have a 12.5 year old; we adopted about 7 months ago recently diagnosed with possible laryngeal paralysis.

Yup.

3 yrs ago my Onyx was diagnosed with it and we went thru with the surgery (larygeal tieback). She was 11. She's now 14 and doing great.

The only thing we need to watch is foods that may be crumbly that she could aspirate. Like milkbone dog bisquits.

But even without surgery, you still have to be careful of aspirate pneumonia.

I don't quite know the criteria for a "good candidate", but Onyx was.

Went through it with my first grey in 1996. If I had it all over to do again I would have had the surgery done. Unfortunately it was misdiagnosed as being allergies and she had a horrible death. She was in the car and I was about an hour away from the nearest vet when she had an episode and there was nothing that I could do. I will live with that guilt the rest of my life. Please check into every option available.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest littlesyd85
Monarch has it... She was diagnosed a few months ago, but she had it a good 6 months to a year before she was officially diagnosed. My veterinarian sent me this website which is helpful. http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2331 Basically what he told me was to make sure that she didn't exercise excessively or take really long walks (which because she is 8 years old and only has 3 legs she shouldn't be anyways).

Guest KennelMom

Grandpa had it...you can probably find a few threads on it if you do a search. Doxepin did seem to help Grandpa a lot. Keep liquid valium on hand, your vet can prep it for you and show you how to use it. There is a yahoo group for LP, but it's very pro-surgery. We managed Grandpa medically successfully for quite a while. Had a couple terrifying episodes where he couldn't breathe and we had to rush him to the evet. Terrifying is actually an understatement. I would really consider the tieback surgery if I was faced with this again. It wasn't a great option for Grandpa.

My Darius had the tieback at 13 and lived to 15. Get a good surgeon, aspiration pneumonia could be a complication, I took the risk, had a wonderful board certified surgeon and it was a success. To be able to breath is a wonderful thing.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Frazzle had LP and was like a puppy again after he recovered from the surgery.

Edited to add that he was 12.5 at the time of surgery.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest TBSFlame
Went through it with my first grey in 1996. If I had it all over to do again I would have had the surgery done. Unfortunately it was misdiagnosed as being allergies and she had a horrible death. She was in the car and I was about an hour away from the nearest vet when she had an episode and there was nothing that I could do. I will live with that guilt the rest of my life. Please check into every option available.

Same here. Tessie hated the vet so much and taking her to the vet would trigger an episode. Because of that and her age we did not choose the tieback surgery. I wish we had. One second she was fine and the next she could not breathe and was foaming at the mouth. I will be forever haunted by the look in her eyes. If your hound is healthy and can go through the surgery I would do it.

My Darbee-doo had the Tieback Surgery last year, at age 13 1/2,,, she did greyt and has had no complications. I'm sure she would not be around today had we not done the surgery. She's almost 15 now and only has a problem in the summer when it's really hot and she can't cool down.

My surgeon is not board certified, but had done the surgery with great success for many years! I love my vet!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My Keno had it but wasn't considered a good candidate for surgery due to some other health problems. I would definitely consider the tie back surgery if faced with this again and if my dog otherwise healthy and considered a good candidate.

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest BoandLazMom

We have contacted a surgeon who has much experience with this type of surgery and have an appointment on Wednesday. They will do a scope down her throat to determine if she actually has LP and if so we will move forward with the surgery at the same time if she in fact as it.

Thank you to everyone who has commented. We have much the same fear as some of you mentioned, if she was unable to breath and expired due to the lack of surgery.

We knew when Happy came to live with us that she was an older dog and we would not know how long she'd be with us. We will do everything to see her reach a much older age. Our vet says she's in excellent health for her age with the exception of this issue.

We have contacted a surgeon who has much experience with this type of surgery and have an appointment on Wednesday. They will do a scope down her throat to determine if she actually has LP and if so we will move forward with the surgery at the same time if she in fact as it.

Thank you to everyone who has commented. We have much the same fear as some of you mentioned, if she was unable to breath and expired due to the lack of surgery.

We knew when Happy came to live with us that she was an older dog and we would not know how long she'd be with us. We will do everything to see her reach a much older age. Our vet says she's in excellent health for her age with the exception of this issue.

Glad to hear this. Please keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Same here. Tessie hated the vet so much and taking her to the vet would trigger an episode. Because of that and her age we did not choose the tieback surgery. I wish we had. One second she was fine and the next she could not breathe and was foaming at the mouth. I will be forever haunted by the look in her eyes. If your hound is healthy and can go through the surgery I would do it.

Yes stress can bring on an episode. I had Sarah at a dermalogist vet for her d. mange and driving back to Reno she was stressed and brought on an episode. By the time I got her to ER vet, they said it was like a heat stroke. I had to let her go............

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

We went through this with our second grey, Barko. He had surgury at the UW Madison, Wisconsin. He came through it just fine. He was 8 or 9 at the time.

I'll be thinking about your baby.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Sparks has mild LP but due to the fact that I was laid off the end of May sugery isn't an option

My vet did say that it's nothing to worry about (I'm adding "yet")

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest BoandLazMom

Happy did indeed have LP. She was scoped and operated on about noon today. She is doing well. She's staying overnight at the hospital. For those of you who mentioned a board certified surgeon doing the surgery we did select a surgeon who is board certified. He expects her to make a full recovery. Happy was the first greyhound he ever saw with LP. He said the majority of his patients with LP are Labs. We can't wait to have her back home again.

Edited by BoandLazMom

Happy will be happy again in no time! :nod

Darbee had tie back surgery at age 13,, she is almost 15 now!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14