Side Effects Of Rimadyl?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer's back is going bad again. I wanted something other than Prednisone because he gets incontinent on pred. The vet suggested Rimadyl and said it's an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. Spencer has only been on it since Tues. but I'm not seeing any difference yet and he seems to be panting a lot and uncomfortable spending a lot of time outside and whining. I don't think he's in pain though. So can anyone give me their personal experience when using Rimadyl in their Greys?

10/31 - Okay I got to exchange the Rimadyl with Deramaxx so Spencer will start on that today. No more throwing up since I took him off the Rimadyl. Hopefully the Deramaxx will help!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest Energy11

I use Deramaxx, but the two are similar, both NSAIDS. This classification of drugs can definitely upset their stomachs, humans too.

Maybe his little belly is bothering him? Maybe you could try giving a Pepcid AC about 35-40 minutes before giving the Rimadyl, and definitely give the Rimadyl with food or yogurt.

If this continues, I'd surely talk to the vet. Maybe Tramadol would be better, as it doesn't cause stomach upset, but can make them "loopy." Good Luck,and I hope he feels better soon!

Wayne's on Rimadyl and I had 3 of my dogs on it long term. It usually takes an anti-inflammatory 3 days to reach its potential.

All of my dogs did well on it with no side effects, although I know that many dogs will have an upset stomach with it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

One of my vets refuses to use Rimadyl due to kidney issues. Another of my vets last week told me of a greyt that just crossed over due to acute renal failure who was on Rimadyl. I agree with Burpdog. Pills are not always the answer. Many times there are other effective options. It just boils down to personal preference and thats just my opinion.

Maisy and Bella cannot stomach Rimadyl. It made Bella projectile vomit and Maisy was definitely sick on it. The Deramaxx works better for them.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thanks for the responses. Spencer has thrown up about 4 times in the last 24 hrs. so I called the vet. He will get back to me later tonight. In the meantime, I stopped giving Spencer the Rimadyl. Poor guy!

Guest Energy11
Thanks for the responses. Spencer has thrown up about 4 times in the last 24 hrs. so I called the vet. He will get back to me later tonight. In the meantime, I stopped giving Spencer the Rimadyl. Poor guy!

Surely does sound like the Rimadyl isn't agreeing with him. Good idea to stop it till you see what the vet has to say. Hope he feels better, soon!