Hello From Star And Dani!

Guest dfriedri

Guest dfriedri

I am very new to GreyTalk...like today! But it has already been an huge resource of support and information.

My lady Star was diagnosed today with either Osteosarcoma or Hemangiosarcoma and I turned to GT because I really wasn't sure about the next step. After talking to some of the great ladies on here I am going to consult with Dr. Couto and hopefully get some good news for my very young Star.

Star was adopted exactly a year ago from the Nebraska Humane Society. She was supposed to be a nursing home dog. I was the administrator and we were wanting to fill a void for our residents after the facility cat had to be put down because of leukemia. It took me 3 months but I finally got the corporation convinced to let me get a dog. The humane society suggested a greyhound because they are so docile and gentle.

It was a little struggle at first. Linoleum floors, big windows, lots of people! They all scared her a little but she came out of her shell fairly quickly. Unfortunatly one of her paws was run over by a wheelchair after only a few weeks and this made her extremely wary of wheelchairs and walkers. Over the next few months we worked very hard with overcoming this fear and did manage pretty well.

Another thing became very apparent over time. She was quickly becoming a one-person dog; mine! She slept in my office and I walked her 80% of the time. When I would leave for the day, she would wander around and mourn my leaving. When I left for vacation, she peed all over the facility and was very depressed. I loved her but lived in a rental house and could in now way make her "my dog".

In June, I finally bought a house. Star slept my first night with me in the house. She loved coming home with me and was hooked! Car rides to and from work were a blast and she rode so well! We did this all summer and her personality really started to shine. I can see now that she was barely getting by while living at the facility. She was very depressed and really doing no one any good. After coming home with me, she was excited to go to the facility and even started leaning against some residents and showing real signs of affection.

Unfortunately I was let go from my job in September. My first question was what was going to happen to Star? Up to this point she was still technically the facility's dog. They paid for her and her vet bills but emotionally she was mine and I was hers. My boss barely argued the point (lucky for him) and she was coming with me for good. I packed up all of her things (she had become quite spoiled) and her and I left that facility for good!

Now, 1.5 months later, we are looking for another facility to meet our needs. I have my administrator's license and will no doubt have another facility soon (finger's crossed) and hopefully will be able to bring her to work with me. For the last 5 months, I have spent practically 24 hours a day with Star and couldn't imagine having to leave her at home while I had all the fun at the nursing home.

It breaks my heart that we are now battling this cancer and it scares me because without a job I'm not sure how I am going to pay for everything but I also feel blessed that I can spend this time with her.

I can't wait to hear and read everyone's fun stories about their greys. They really are a special breed with so many fun quirks and sweet natures. No matter what happens with Star, she will always be my lady that got me thru this hard time in my life!

16341_553641745754_41300950_32727872_343970_n.jpg

A beautiful and moving story. I welcome you and wish you and Star all the best.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest 3greysinPA

First of All.. Welcome to GT. :wave ... and what a beautiful and moving story you told about your life thus far with your houndie..

It was very touching... Isnt it funny how we fall head over heels in love with them... I could not imagine life without my hounds.

I hope and pray that you both get the job you both need to stay together!!

Many prayers coming you way!!! :hope:hope:hope:hope

and again welcome to GT... I'm glad you are here. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

and STAR is beautiful :wub:

:welcome2 Hello to you and Star from NY. Very sorry to hear about Star but OSU is the best place for greyhound health issues. She sounds like a very special girl.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Welcome to you & Star. She is a beautiful girl! :wub:

Consulting with OSU is the best way to go. They will get you & Star on the right path. Very best wishes to both of you.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hi Star and Dani,

And welcome to GT! It's the best! :wubsite

Star sure is a beauty. Praying for all the best for her.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest goofydog

Welcome from Atlanta :welcome2

A touching story and I'm so glad you found the world of GT. Dr. Couto is an excellent resource and will do all he can for Star. Wishing both of you the best.

Your girl is beautiful! I am so sorry to hear about her diagnosis, big hugs to you!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Dani, I'm sorry that you found GT this way. But, I'm glad you did find us and found the help you needed. I enjoyed out chat last night, and I'll be here if and when you need me.

Star is beautiful!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

• 1 month later...