Chattering Teeth

Guest creedsmom

I think all of mine have chattered. Susan was my castanets girl, though Renie got pretty loud too. Sid has just recently started to gently chatter his teeth.

It is usually a good thing, due to excitement or happiness, but it can be nerves, and it can be cold. Try to watch Creed carefully to see if his body language and general demeanor give you a clue.

One interesting thing - our first dog James never chattered, ever, until he had a dental to extract a canine which had developed an abscess. Now, this canine was broken when James came to us as a young dog, but our vet said to leave it since they are so difficult to remove and it seemed to cause him no problem. However, once it was gone, James began to chatter at times when he was happy or excited! I can only conclude that the tooth was actually sensitive and it hurt him to chatter until it was taken out. James was around ten years old at the time.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest RocketDog

Our latest foster (who was just adopted on Monday!) chattered whenever he was excited - sometimes due to nerves, sometimes because he was happy. He also kind of 'snapped' his teeth whenever he licked his chops. We figured it was just a quirk of his personality...

Sherri chatters when she hears the word "car". She loves to go for rides. I think it is adorable.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Lizzie has always been a chatterer....usually when she's excited or sniffing. Hitchie has recently started after three years and only when he's really excited.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Turbo chatters only when he's waking up from a nap and stretching. :dunno I love the excitement chatterers :wub:

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest brcgreys
Creed is 10 yrs old. He gets dental cleanings yearly (awake cleanings-he is not put under and he is given a shot to keep him calm and I'm there to make him feel secure during the procedure) and I do brush his teeth most of the time. Recently his teeth have been chattering for no apparent reason. He isn't cold, he eats just fine but then I do notice that his teeth are chattering away at different times during the day. The chattering lasts just a minutes or two and then it might not happen again til the next day or two. I'm not sure if this is anything I should be worrying about or if all greyhounds do this. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this situation. thanks.

Another cause for chattering is a bad tooth, especially when it's one of the tiny ones in the front between the canine teeth. I have seen this with my own as they get older and with the rescues/returns here in the adoption center. Those little ones in the front do seem to get loose sooner, I surmise it's because there's not a whole lot of chewing action in that area, therefore it's an easier place for plaque and little germs to hide. Even with brushing your hound's teeth and giving regular chewies, quite often that area only gets a "token" swipe. We tend to concentrate on the larger teeth in the back of their mouth. All you have to do is place a finger in there and gently wiggle each tooth. He'll let you know if there's a bad one.