Tail Amputation #2

Guest jennzem

Guest jennzem

Just when we thought we had turned a corner Daredevil's tail began bleeding heavily this morning so we took him in to the E/R. We were told some of tissue at the tip of his tail had died and separated from the healthy tissue. He is currently undergoing amputation of the rest of his tail. We hope and pray he is strong enough to make it through this surgery. The vet there was very grey saavy and seems very competent so I feel he is in the best hands he could be. She is also the owner of the E/R. Please keep our boy in your thoughts today. I will keep the group posted.

Jenn

I am so sorry for this setback. Good thoughts coming your way!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Energy11

Sorry he is having to go through this, but maybe, in the long-run, it will be the best thing for him. At least there won't be anymore pain, and hopefully, no problems.

One of my friend's GH went through this. They did half her tail, and it "didn't take," for lack of better words, and they finally did the whole tail She did great and was really cute, too.

Lots of love, hugs and prayers from here!

Best wishes for a successful surgery & easy healing. :getwell

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BooandCalisMom

Hang in there - hopefully this will be the time for DD to turn the corner to a full recovery. We are thinking of you and DareDevil. Many prayers!!

Sending lots of healing thoughts

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest jennzem

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. DD pulled through OK and is battling anxiety right now. He still has not layed down to rest. He really is a stubborn boy. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

He should heal up quickly now. Valentino lost part of his tail and had to have it surgically fixed. He did great.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TheUnrulyHound

When Streamer was a GALT foster he chewed at his stitches from his first amputation, they had to remove more of his tail then he came to stay with me since I could watch him constantly.... he did just fine ;) Then we adopted him :P Just don't let DD get to his stitches!! Streamer healed up pretty quick

Guest jennzem

Today is the first full day since our boy had his tail amputated. He still will not lay down on his own but we can get his down if we sweep him off of his feet thankfully. He had his first few bits of food since Friday night tonight and I hope this is a sign of his healing. My husband and I are trying to arrange our work schedules so one of us will always have a close eye on him and his tendency to lick his derrier. We feel that putting "the cone" on his head would on heighten his anxiety so this is what we hope will work. Thank you everyone for you well wishes and I'll keep you posted.

When Streamer was a GALT foster he chewed at his stitches from his first amputation, they had to remove more of his tail then he came to stay with me since I could watch him constantly.... he did just fine ;) Then we adopted him :P Just don't let DD get to his stitches!! Streamer healed up pretty quick

How long did you wait before his sutures came out. The E/R said 10 - 14 days...

Guest Energy11

I think it is a good idea for someone to be with him if at all possible. Yes, those cones do make them anxious. I hate them.

Hugs, and hoping for some quick healing!

Guest TheUnrulyHound
Today is the first full day since our boy had his tail amputated. He still will not lay down on his own but we can get his down if we sweep him off of his feet thankfully. He had his first few bits of food since Friday night tonight and I hope this is a sign of his healing. My husband and I are trying to arrange our work schedules so one of us will always have a close eye on him and his tendency to lick his derrier. We feel that putting "the cone" on his head would on heighten his anxiety so this is what we hope will work. Thank you everyone for you well wishes and I'll keep you posted.

How long did you wait before his sutures came out. The E/R said 10 - 14 days...

I cannot really remember how long it was before his sutures came out..... but that sounds about right. I never use a cone, it seems to terrify them, what I used was a muzzle (make sure he cannot get a muzzle off on his own, some can) and tape the end of it with duct tape so that he cannot lick thru it, I just do the end and underside of the muzzle, not the whole thing of course, you still want good circulation :)

also if that doesn't work you can try this..... Home made bite not collar

Hope it helps!!!

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

Guest jennzem

Well, we're back from another check at the vet. It appears that all is healing well and most of DD's discomfort is coming from him straining his back from standing. After an acupuncture and laser treatment we were sent home with a script for Lorazepam to help with anxiety. We are also going to massage his back, put a warm compress on it and some lavender applied to the inside of his ears to help try to calm him into sleep. He has not yet layed down so hopefully he will eventually be comfortable enough to sleep. He has lost 4 pounds (down to 66 lbs) now. His appetite comes and goes so if this continues the vet will also add something to help his appetite. I will keep the group posted as the week goes on. Take care and please keep your paws crossed for our boy.

Jenn

Guest jennzem

Daredevil was back at the vet today for a recheck. So far his tail is healing well. He received more laser therapy to help his tail, back and shoulders. He seems to be in better spirits and his appetite also seems to be improving as well. Thank you, all for being there through all of this. I will keep you posted.

Jenn

Glad to hear he's continuing well, Jenn. Hopefully you're through the worst of it now.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire