Sounding Hoarse

When we are out on walks, Solo sounds very hoarse. That's the best way I can describe it in writing. He doesn't sound like that in the house, but I have caught him coughing. He seems completely fine other than this weird sound that he makes on our walks. I'm wondering if this could be an early sign of lung cancer. :unsure Anyone have any ideas?

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Energy11

Could be allergies. Could be Kennel Cough... could be anything. I'd see the vet and go from there. PLEASE dont' think Lung Cancer yet, okay.

Love, Hugs, and Prayers to you and yours!

This is how two of my hounds with LP started sounding. Cali has LP and has for at least 4 years and it's moderate and the only treatment I have done is to limit her time outside when it's hot and try to keep her calm. She's almost 15, so I'm happy with how she's done. Frasier had it much worse, and it came on more suddenly and it's what ultimately caused his death at almost 10. These are 2 very different results from the same issues. :)

If Solo pulls a lot on his collar when you are walking him, it could be from the pulling.

What is LP? Could it be related to age? He's almost 12.

He doesn't pull at all. He walks real nice.

Guest Greensleeves

LP is laryngeal paralysis, and it's pretty common. Our coonhound Nelly had it. Typically that hoarse sound is one of the first symptoms people notice. If it is LP, it's manageable. You'll need to be careful in the heat, and careful with dry/crunchy foods, as there's a risk of them actually inhaling crumbs (and causing "aspiration pneumonia")... but I think for most dogs with LP, it doesn't affect their quality of life that much at all. A few have had some more severe episodes, but as far as we could tell, it never bothered Nelly (who sang at the top of her lungs, every day of her life).

Official diagnosis can only be made by scoping the throat under sedation (that's actually how we discovered Nelly's; we thought she had something stuck in her throat, since she was wheezing and we could see/feel the floppy laryngeal folds), but you can often get a pretty good probable diagnosis from symptoms.

There's a surgery to treat the severe cases, laryngeal tieback, where they surgically pin down one (or both?) of the paralyzed laryngeal "flaps." The risk of aspiration pneumonia is greater after that, but, again, most cases won't come to that.

I'd say LP or allergies is probably far more likely than lung cancer! ;)

Good luck!

Guest greytbookert
LP is laryngeal paralysis, and it's pretty common. Our coonhound Nelly had it. Typically that hoarse sound is one of the first symptoms people notice. If it is LP, it's manageable. You'll need to be careful in the heat, and careful with dry/crunchy foods, as there's a risk of them actually inhaling crumbs (and causing "aspiration pneumonia")... but I think for most dogs with LP, it doesn't affect their quality of life that much at all. A few have had some more severe episodes, but as far as we could tell, it never bothered Nelly (who sang at the top of her lungs, every day of her life).

Official diagnosis can only be made by scoping the throat under sedation (that's actually how we discovered Nelly's; we thought she had something stuck in her throat, since she was wheezing and we could see/feel the floppy laryngeal folds), but you can often get a pretty good probable diagnosis from symptoms.

There's a surgery to treat the severe cases, laryngeal tieback, where they surgically pin down one (or both?) of the paralyzed laryngeal "flaps." The risk of aspiration pneumonia is greater after that, but, again, most cases won't come to that.

I'd say LP or allergies is probably far more likely than lung cancer! ;)

Good luck!

:nod

Here is Frazzle in the early stages of LP - listen carefully towards the middle, around 45 seconds in.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest mcsheltie

Have you walked him in a harnesses? Kasper has an old injury and when he pulls on a collar his breathing sounds harsh and he will cough. Our vet can make him cough with just a little pressure on his throat. He is fine in the house too.

Praying it is something simple!

Guest KennelMom

Our bridge boy Grandpa had Laryngeal Paralysis. He started out with raspy breathing on exertion - it's more of a throaty raspyness than a chest raspyness. Your vet should be able to give you a good idea of whether or not it's LP. I don't know how common it is in greyhounds...there is a (very pro surgery) yahoo group on LP that has good info, if that's what it turns out to be.

Good luck and keep us posted

ps, Grandpa was diagnosed when he was 12 1/2 or so.

Here is Frazzle in the early stages of LP - listen carefully towards the middle, around 45 seconds in.

Yes, it kinda does sound like that.

How old is Solo? My first thought is if it's only exertional (upon walks) that maybe it's cardiac related. Especially in a senior hound. Just a thought...

Solo will be 12 in January.

Our bridge boy Grandpa had Laryngeal Paralysis. He started out with raspy breathing on exertion - it's more of a throaty raspyness than a chest raspyness. Your vet should be able to give you a good idea of whether or not it's LP. I don't know how common it is in greyhounds...there is a (very pro surgery) yahoo group on LP that has good info, if that's what it turns out to be.

Good luck and keep us posted

ps, Grandpa was diagnosed when he was 12 1/2 or so.

I agree that it's more in the throat then in the chest.

Onyx started sounding hoarse on walks too. She was diagnosed with LP, had the tie back surgery when she was 11 and last month she celebrated her 14 birthday.

The only we do different is give her daily pepcid to prevent regurgitation and not give her anything crunchy that she could inhale.

By the way, even without the surgery, you shouldn't give her anything crunchy as aspirate pneumonia increases with LP dogs whether you have the tie back or not.