Anxiety....melatonin?

Lately Uri has been exhibiting a lot of anxiety. (He is 5. I've had him for a year and this just began about 1-1/2 months ago.) He has had the run of the house when I'm out for about 5 months and been fine....then recently he started peeing randomly in my dining room while I'm at work occasionally. The vet says he does not have any urinary problems. The peeing coincided with what I would say is a marked increase in Uri's anxiety - he is skittish about any slight noise, even imagined noises, and will go into a shaking funk where he won't even eat for the rest of the day because he's so anxious. He gets bad anxiety during activities that he used to find delightful - i.e. greyhound socials, visiting his grandparents, going to Petco, etc. He used to be happy and normal at those events -- we even did Dewey Beach last year!! -- but at a recent greyhound gathering, he began to shake as soon as we entered and spent the entire time shaking, pulling for the door, and panting. So, this is not normal for him.

Someone suggested, and I read online, about 3 mg doses of melatonin daily to help calm him, so I thought I would try that and picked some up last night. I thought it would be something I could give him in the mornings or mid-day (when his anxiety usually begins) but I was reading on the package how it's a sleep aid and should be given before bed. My question is -- is this worth dosing before bed if the problem occurs mid-day/afternoon/evening? Will the calming effect have worn off by the time he wakes up in the morning? I really don't see a need to give him something before he goes to sleep for the night--when he's fine--if it's not going to have a lasting effect throughout the next day. But, I also don't want to give him a sleep aid that will knock him out for the day.

(Or, if I wanted to give it to him before we go to an event, or go visiting, etc., will it totally knock him out? I don't want that.)

Thanks for any advice from anyone who has tried this before, or perhaps had a dog with similar concerns.

Guest Energy11

I tried Melatonin on Curfew when HE as a spook. He is pretty much over that now. Anyway, I prefer Bach's Rescue Remedy OR Ultra Calm wafers (all natural, and you can get them through Drs Foster and Smith's website). Either might just take the "edge" off. I wonder why he is doing this now???

Good luck, and I think either of the products will help him. Again, I had absolutely NO luck with the Melatonin, but, every dog is different. I'd ask the vet about the dosage for that, as I am not sure.

Edited by Energy11

I used melatonin with Jack when he was a pup and suffered pretty severe car sickness, and it worked great. I still use it with fosters if they're more anxious than normal in a particular situation. I give 3mg per 20lbs of dog, then adjust up or down depending on the dog. Melatonin is a natural supplement, so it's pretty hard to overdose anyone, people or dogs.

Because this is a new behavior, I'd have the vet run some tests. There's a good chance there's a medical cause. Thyroid, maybe?

Clark is not technically a "spook" but a very anxious dog. Getting another grey helped somewhat, but not enough. I started Clark on Melatonin, one 3mg tablet twice a day. Didn't see any improvement. So, I upped it to two 3mg tablets twice a day (so basically 12mg a day), and now I do see a difference. Still a little skittish around things, but better than before, especially when it rains. It does not knock him out. He's still fully functioning.

Good luck. Hope you find something that helps.

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

Guest mcsheltie

The dosing is probably written for people. I have used it in dogs with varying results. I have tried it myself with no affect. It didn't even make me sleepy.

Might try DAP with him too.

Guest caiteag

Ty gets 1 3mg melatonin in each meal, for a total of 6mg per day. It has worked wonders for his anxiety. We started him on 1 3mg capsule per day and saw some improvement, decided to add the second and we're just thrilled with how well he is doing on it. It doesn't seem to make him more sleepy or anything like that. We did rescue remedy for a while before trying the melatonin and got no results with it at all... every dog is different. :)