Tumor Found On Leg

Guest 5hounds

Guest 5hounds

Missy has a tumor on the inside front right leg by the elbow.

She went to the vet yesterday and they are running tests.

This is what we do know.

The tumor is too big to remove.

It is growing fast.

The tumor is infected

When the vet did the biopsy and only a little liquid and blood came out.

The vet said the tumor is spongy feeling and attached to her tissue and bone.

She does not seem to be in pain.

She is happy and eating good.

She does not mess with the tumor. She acts like it is not there.

She has Laryngeal Paralysis and is 12 years old.

The vet sent her home with a drain tube, anti inflammatory and antibiotics.

Has anyone else had this problem with their dog?

These pictures were taken on Monday and the tumor was bigger by Wednesday.

20091019missy001.jpg

20091019missy002.jpg

20091019missy004.jpg

20091019missy005.jpg

Zippy had a tumor in the same area a year ago. Hers was a mast cell tumor. It was a little smaller than the one your pup has, and the vet was very worried about getting wide enough margins on it during removal. She did the best she could, and Zippy is fine a year later. I wonder if once the infection is cleared up the tumor will shrink for you enough to operate on?

I don't have a clue, but is there some sort of chemo that can be applied directly to the tumor to shrink it to permit surgery? I hope someone here knows.

Foxy had a tumor in almost exactly the same place. Hers was on the outer side of her leg. The fluid your described sounds so familiar. We had the tumor removed and she was diagnosed with hemangiopericytoma. It is a blood vessel tumor that is slow to metastasize. The location is also likely for a synovial sarcoma. I would have your vet contact OSU, the link for info is at the bottom of my siggy.

Foxy had her tumnor removed at almost 10, she lived another 4 years, and also had LP. She didn't die of either one though.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Did they do a chest x-ray? Polli had some lumps that developed on her back. When they aspirated it, blood came out too.

Keeping your girl in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Domino's was the size of an orange. It was on the inside of his back left leg. They found about 6 more. Took them all off. Cancer. I think it was/is called some type of mass cell. Nothing we can do really. Just keep taking them off. Noser is 7 almost 8 years.

Good luck. My heart and prayers are with you.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest 5hounds

I wanted to say thank you for all your prayers and well wishes. Missy is doing fine. Her leg has swelled up but the tumor has been draining. She is eating all her food and going outside. She loves to walk around the yard. I am waiting for the vet to call me back so we can talk about what to do next. Thank you again.

Why can't they remove it?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project