Heartworm Prevention

I realized this morning that I've forgotten the pups' heartworm prevention 3 months in a row! :blush

Someone told me that the ivermectin can be given anyway, that it won't hurt them...but I'm skeptical.

I know how heartworm stuff works...I really think I should have them all tested again, or at least put in a call to my vet and see what he thinks...

I feel terrible! I had reminders set on my phone, and then that phone died and I got a new one...my calendar stuff did not transfer so I had to recreate what I could, and the dogs' heartworm reminder was forgotten :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

You will be fine w/ivermectin. The reachback goes pretty far. It's the old HW that was given daily that was dangerous to give a hw positive dog. Ivermectin is given to hw positive dogs and can be used as a treatment if a dog has a light load.

Never hurts to ask ur vet though

Well, I give heartworm year round, and my vet still insists on testing annually. Don't know if that's to make money, or because it's really necessary.

A heartworm test is fast and not expensive though.

Put it in your computer calendar thingy like I do, and then you'll get that reminder when you turn it on, and you won't keep forgetting!

I do heartworm on the first of the month, and Frontline Plus on the 15th. That keeps it easy to remember!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Well, I give heartworm year round, and my vet still insists on testing annually. Don't know if that's to make money, or because it's really necessary.

Part of it is that it covers you- if the dog shows up positive, the company may pay for treatment (Interceptor- don't know about others). Part of it is that it constitutes a much larger program in which if a dog DOES show up HW+ while on HW meds, then we know we have a problem: resistance is forming.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'd go ahead and dose then get a HW test, but call your vet.

Actually, for dogs that are older and/or in ill health the treatment for heartworm is sometimes long doses of Ivermectin...not really sure where the urban legend that swears if you give a monthly dose of Ivermectin to a HW positive dog it will drop dead immediately came from. ETA -- I guess Heather told us it is a throwback to the old days of Filarabits (sp).

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg