Jaynie's Left Shoulder Muscle In Spasm - Very Painful

Last night when she came out of her crate Jaynie stumbled and cried out. I thought she'd somehow pulled a bit on her spay incision so I held her for a bit, and then we went out for a quick potty trip. I didn't notice anything unusual about her movement, but it was dark.

This morning we went out at about 5:45 and again, things seemed OK. But I noticed she hesitated going up the 5 or so stairs to the kitchen, but attributed that to the bite-not collar, which she was still wearing from overnight and finds awkward.

However, once we were upstairs it was clear something was wrong with her left front leg - she was swinging it out rather than bending it in any way. And when I felt the big muscle on the top of her shoulder she screamed. It feels hard to me.

I've got a warm compress on it right now, but if anyone sees this and has additional ideas, please share.

I don't think the bite-not is responsible - she wears it overnight but had it off all day yesterday since I was home and able to watch over her. Also, since her spay on Monday she's been pretty much in her crate even though the door is open, i.e., not moving around much. maybe she spent too much time in one position?

Edited by Rickiesmom

Loca used to have occasional neck spasms. I used to massage her neck and shoulders with Tiger Balm or similar type product. I hope Jaynie feels better soon.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

You can never go wrong with BACH'S Rescue Remedy. It works great for such. It helps correct the dogs energy and the dog can relax and not be stressed which reduces pain(very short verion of explanation). Anyway that works great for me in situations like you describe. Also might gently rub the paws(pads and all), "ankles" and ears-oodles of good accupressure points there. You can also stimulate the "aspirin point" on the hind leg which reduces pain and the point right between the eyes on their bridge relaxes them too. You might be able to see illustration of the aspirin point on the web somewhere. Hope your Baby feels better soon!

Guest Energy11

What, if anything, is Jaynie taking for pain? If the vet prescribed pain meds, that should be helping.

I, too, LOVE Bach's Rescue Remedy (now without alcohol), and the warm compresses, too.

I'd see how she is, and if this continues, obviously a vet visit.

Good luck, hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Is she being crated more now after the spay then normal? It could be just that she's cramping up as she's not moving around as much.

Normally those things will work themselves out as she gets up and walks around.

Rubbing and massaging the area is also a good idea.

Jaynie is slow to fully come back after anaesthesia. Her crate door is open but she is choosing to spend all her time there, except for getting up for a drink or to pee. I will try to walk her around a bit more today if she is OK with it, and I am also hoping she'll eat (next on the agenda). So yes, she's been less active than usual.

She's on Tramadol 50mg twice per day. She was supposed to be on Metacam but I can't give it to her until she eats.

We have an appointment at 3:30 with a vet we love who does house calls. He is very good and I have faith will get to the bottom of this and treat her in whatever way will help (he does accupuncture, massage, chiropractic, etc. as well as traditional vet medicine).

I don't have any Rescue Remedy on hand, but will try to get out to pick some up today.

We came back in from a potty walk at around 10:15 and Jaynie had an episode similar to the first, except this time more limbs were affected - it was as if she didn't have full control / didn't know what to do with her legs - wouldn't put weight on the right rear leg. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I gently massaged each leg, then hauled her up to the regular vet, by which time the episode had pretty much passed. He did think she was walking somewhat stiffly, and her heart rate was way up (150) so felt she was in pain. Checked everywhere, could not get any reaction.

So, the working assumption for now is that she may have refluxed again during anaesthesia (this would also help explain the not eating) and we are going back to the sulcrate / losec regimen. As well, I am to discontinue the Tramadol and give her Metacam. Her weight is down to 58.x :(

On the up-side, the spay incision looks great.

She's back in her crate resting.

We will see the holistic vet at 3:30 and his examination may provide some complementary conclusions.

Vet has gone. Found a lot of muscle tension in Jaynie's chest and shoulder area as well as in one spot down her spine. Was able to observe the peg-legged walk I described. For now he wants her on Robaxin (muscle relaxant) and I am to continue with the compresses and gentle massage. I forgot to ask him about Rescue Remedy but will pick some up as soon as I can.

I am to check in with him on Monday and depending on how she's doing, we will decide next steps. I really hope the muscle-relaxant makes her feel better. She needs to eat and feel good again.

I wonder if Traumeel would help her Mary. If you have the cream you could massage that in. The drops are good too, but local might be better in this instance. I've used that along with whatever Jake is getting for his leg, whichever one is swollen at the moment. (today it's the back left. :( )

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest sja5032

Check her hydration level, sometimes cramps especially after a surgery (or race) can be due to dehydration or low potassium levels. Quick way to check is to pull some of the skin up on her back, it should snap right back down. If it drops slowly she is dehydrated.

No better, but we just started the Robaxin tonight so hopefully it will help. I feel so sorry for her - while I had the compress on her shoulder earlier this evening, the muscles along her spine above the tuck went into spasm. I immediately moved the compress there - it was so bad I could feel the twitching through the compress until it subsided. My poor little girl.

Still not eating but still drinking water.

I left voicemail a little while ago for the director of the rehab clinic I use for Rickie, to see if there's anything she can do - I'm wondering if laser treatments for example, might help.

Please if you can, spare a prayer / good thoughts for my Jaynie. She's hurting and we don't yet know the root cause.

Edited to add:

I'll pick up some topical trameel - only have the tablets and since she won't eat, nothing to really crush them into.

I'll check for dehydration next time she's up - they did have her on fluids in the hospital and she has been drinking, but perhaps not enough.

Edited by Rickiesmom

No real change. We went out around 6 for a potty break and her front end is still a mess - I put a compress on when we came back in. I am praying the rehab clinic calls me back today and am going to ask my vet to book a neuro consult just in case.

Yesterday the holistic vet mentioned they don't want to give her steroids because of the recent surgery but she definitely needs for the root cause to be found, and she needs relief from the symptoms.

Since she's only drinking, could you try some Gatorade or Pedialite to try to get her electrolytes in balance? As someone else said above, if those are out of wack it can cause cramping.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

You could try buying either a turkey baster, or a child's medication dropper in the drug store, and give her low sodium chicken brooth via that method, a little at a time. At least, she will be getting some nutrition. You can give the Gatorade or Pedilyte the same way, as well.

Soooooo sorry she is going through this! I surely hope they fine the cause soon! Love, hugs and MANY prayers from us!

Jaynie just vomited the water she had recently drunk, bile, and her meds. I called the clinic but can't see the vet til 3. I am sure they will want to admit her, put her on fluids and redo some basic bloodwork. She hasn't eaten since midnight on Monday, she's clearly miserable, and I think she's at a point where she needs more than I can do for her at home.

I will continue the compresses until it's time to take her in, and will update when I get back from the clinic.

Jaynie is at the vet overnight, on fluids. In addition to the expected bloodwork, they are going to test her for Addison's :(

The results should all be back tomorrow, the ACTH-stim test probably not til later in the day. I left behind some goodies for her to eat, which she will hopefully do once she starts to feel better.

Guest Energy11

I, too, am sorry you are going through this, Mary.

John, and I, and The Five, send you many prayers and lots and lots of love! It is better that Jaynie is there at the vets, getting the fluids and care she needs!

We are pulling for you!