What Else Could It Be?

I've posted a few times about this issue over the last month but I'm really starting to get frustrated now. (not at the dogs just the situation) Here is a quick run down.

- About a month ago I gave both dogs the skin and liquid from a can of salmon, next day they both had explosive diarrhea.

- fasted them for 24hours and gave a bland diet of rice and chicken for a few days.

-Poop got better for a few days on regular kibble then back to explosive diarrhea (both dogs).

-Fasted them again, feed bland diet for a few days, then back to regular kibble, then after about a week they were both sick again.

-Brought both dogs to the vet, they were given Metronidazole (antibiotic) a told to feed a bland diet.

-Stool sample came back positive for hook worms for Wally, clear for Hobbes, put both dogs on panacur.

- Poop has been great for both dogs since starting the panacur (a week ago), came home today to diarrhea all over the carpet.

I'm racking my brain if I'm missing something obvious here. Both dogs seem to get sick at the same time each time but have not been given anything out of the ordinary since the salmon that started this whole mess. They have only been given treats once or twice since and they didn't seem to have any reaction to those. I've been washing there bowls with soap and water after every single meal and changing there water multiple times a day. Other then a behavioural problem what else could it be?

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Diarrhea is definitely not a behavior problem. I wonder if you have a bad bag of kibble on your hands? How quickly are you transitioning back to a kibble diet? When I did the bland diet with my dog I took about a week of slowly working him back up to a full kibble diet.

Diarrhea is definitely not a behavior problem. I wonder if you have a bad bag of kibble on your hands? How quickly are you transitioning back to a kibble diet? When I did the bland diet with my dog I took about a week of slowly working him back up to a full kibble diet.

This is the second bag of kibble. I through the first one out in case it was bad. I transitioned them over a couple days back to kibble and they had perfect poops on just kibble for the last 4 or 5 days. They actually have better better poop on just kibble then they did on the bland diet. Well until they get sick again anyways.

How many days of panacur?

Unless they are stressed to the max, it's not behavorial.

They were on the panacur for 3 days, and they are supposed to take it again in two weeks for another 3 days. They were on the metronidazole for 7 days.

I don't think it is behavourial but I'm just trying to figure out why they both keep getting sick and at the same time.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Energy11

Sounds food-related to me. Might want to put BOTH on Science Diet ID for a few weeks, and go from there. Now, I am not a big fan of the Science Diet products, BUT, ID works. Good Luck!

Do they have access to outside when you're not around? Could they be eating something yucky in the yard...like mushrooms or something?

What do they get for treats? If it's something like pigs ears that can really upset some dogs' tummies...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Do they have access to outside when you're not around? Could they be eating something yucky in the yard...like mushrooms or something?

What do they get for treats? If it's something like pigs ears that can really upset some dogs' tummies...

No access to the outdoors. We live in a condo so it's strictly leash walking for them and I watch them like a hawk. They go to a weekly greyhound run but I've never noticed them eating anything plus they are both to busy running around like fools.

I've seriously only given them treats maybe 2-3 times this whole month. The only treat they got was dehydrated lung and the last time was a good 3 or 4 days ago. I don't think our dog walker gives them anything but I'm going to ask her just to make sure.

Unfortunately, places like condo yards can be a great place to get worms. That, plus the fact that panacur helped, might be at least part of the problem. Organisms like coccidia or giardia can be negative in fecals, too.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Unfortunately, places like condo yards can be a great place to get worms. That, plus the fact that panacur helped, might be at least part of the problem. Organisms like coccidia or giardia can be negative in fecals, too.

And dog parks!

Sounds like a parasite to me.

Just because there isn't a parasite in the tiny bit of poop they run doesn't mean they aren't there.

Poor guys!

I hope you get it under control soon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I feel your pain

All mine had mushy poops off and on since August. I thought it was the kibble so got a new bag- same thing

Did the hamburger/rice, tried beet pulp, fiber pills from WalMart

They are finally having nice poops again

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

PS. One of our three is going through the same thing right now. He's had 3 negative fecals but I saw tapes in one sample (not the one I could bring to the vet the next day.) The first round of Panacur (5 days) gave him perfect poops but it's three weeks later and we're back to mushy. He's on the second round of Panacur right now. Will try a dedicated tape med next although I see none in there. It's vexing.

If the diarrhea started right after the last dose of panacur, that would lead me to believe that a longer course of panacur is needed. I do 5-7 days of Panacur.

I'd do a logner course of panacur. Hooks are bastards to rid. I think my vet prescribes 6 days straight, but I can't remember for which parasite :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire