Bacterial Skin Infection Question

Our boy had a large open sore on his face when we adopted him (from trying to get his muzzle off, apparently). For the past 2 months, we've been battling this! At first we tried putting a bootie on him to keep him from tearing his face up more, we also tried EMT gel & spray, Neosporin, medicated "anti-itch" pads, a prescribed shampoo and finally an e-collar.

We took him back to the vet last week because it went from open sores (from scratching) to hair loss, dry/crusty skin with redness and some pus... turns out he has a bacterial skin infection. Our vet prescribed him some medicated wipes that we've been applying 3x per day (also using the e-collar to prevent scratching).

My question is -- how long does this take to heal? It's just on the side of his face, a relatively small area and the vet didn't feel like she needed to prescribe antibiotics at this point. She said to use the pads 3x per day for a week, and then 2x per day until they are gone (30 pads in the jar). We've been using the wipes since Thursday afternoon (2x on that day) and we've been using the e-collar for a week & a half. He seems just as miserable and itchy and it kills me to have to keep him from scratching. I think he's actually developing issues (training-wise) since we have had to stop him from scratching so much! Poor guy. :(

We've just never dealt with this before, so we weren't sure when we could expect to see some progress or if there was anything else we could do for him?

Guest Energy11

To me, if it is bacterial, an antibiotic for the skin, like Keflex, wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since it is still not healed. I am not a vet, by any means, but that is what I'd do, if he were mine. Some skin infections need both topical and internal antiboitics.

Any chance a small to medium bandaid would fit over this wound? Might keep him from digging at it?

Good Luck!

Hi there - nope, can't put a bandage on it since it's spotty over the whole left side of his face. I actually take the e-collar off during the day and put a bootie on him (and keep him in my office with me, as I work from home) to keep him from scratching. If he does scratch before I can catch him (I'll rub his face for him), he has the bootie on to protect the skin. I also change the bootie everytime he does touch his face (just not sure about re-infection?).

Guest Energy11

The bootie is a GREAT idea! This way, at least you are keeping dirt out of the wound that he might get outside on his walks, etc. Even a toddler sock, or two, over that pesty foot of his, might work, too.

If I were you, I would still ask the vet about Keflex or whatever he/she recommends for skin bacterial infections. This thing has gone on too long, in my opinion. I am just a retired paramedic and vet assistant, but, that is my gut.

Good Luck, and it does sound like you are doing all the right things, and everything you can.

Dylan came to us with a bacterial infection of the skin. Open sores on his body..He was on a 6 week course of Keflex. Sometimes they are hard to clear up. I would definetely ask the vet about an oral antibiotic. Have a culture ran to see what antibiotic would be the proper choice...Prayers coming your way

Thanks, all! I called the vet and she said if we don't see improvement by Thursday (giving the wipes a full week) that she would probably prescribe antibiotics for him. He was on antibiotics when we first adopted him, so I think she is waiting to see if this works, first.

Do you all thinks that oral Benadryl might help with the itching?

Guest Energy11
Thanks, all! I called the vet and she said if we don't see improvement by Thursday (giving the wipes a full week) that she would probably prescribe antibiotics for him. He was on antibiotics when we first adopted him, so I think she is waiting to see if this works, first.

Do you all thinks that oral Benadryl might help with the itching?

Yes, the oral Benedryl (regular or generic/not sinus allergy type) would help. You can give 50 mg. every four to six hours if needed. Good Luck, and I honestly think antibiotics would help. At least the vet is receptive.