Licking Rectum Raw

Guest Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24

Jeff and I were laying about tonight and I kept noticing Sagan - well - licking his tush. At first I thought nothing of it - thats what dogs do, right? A few minutes passed and he is still doing it. We crawl over to his bed, lift his tail - and sure enough - its all red on the outside of the poop hole! He seems to have licked it raw. I dabbed it with a white paper towel and noticed it was faintly red - like it was bleeding just a little bit. He is acting totally normal, have perfect stool movements, and trotting like he normally does when walks. The only unusual thing is that just prior to me finding this, I noticed that he was trying to go but didn't seem like he could - now this would have been his 3 go on a single walk so I didn't think that was strange.

He is on heartworm and has regular fecal tests.

Any suggestions?

thanks

M

Edited by Maddyr24

He needs to have a vet look at his anal glands and maybe express them. Double ick. But necessary at times.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed - when Blitz does this, it's time for me to find a rubber glove and the lube so I can express his anal glands. :rolleyes:

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Jac-foo did this not to long ago!! She had her little "hole" raw and the base of her tail also. Her glands were fine. So I put her muzzle on with a piece of tape over the front so she could not lick it. Then some cream on her bootie and tail and a few days she was fine and hasn't licked anymore!!

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

If he hasn't moved his bowels, you may need to see the vet to make sure he's not impacted for some reason. Also sounds like the glands need to be checked.

There is a powdered med, Neo-Predef, that can be applied. It is a combination of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and anesthetic.

Neo-Predef w Tetracaine

Some vets don't carry it, but you should be able to find it on-line.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Maddyr24

Sagan just returned from the vet and yup, it was a gland problem. He is totally fine - just a little sore. Wouldn't you know - I have a bottle of Neo-pref at home. On it goes!

thanks everyone.