Bum Foot Again

Guest madredhare

Guest madredhare

Well, the foot saga continues here as well. Sadie got her bandage off (severely dislocated toe) last Monday. She started licking her toe last night. I got down and checked it, wiping the moisture out from between the toes, and could smell something foul. I looked in the good light and you could see the spot where the puss was at. She had a terrible reaction to oral anti-biotics, so we discontinued those. Daily bandage changes and keeping the foot dry to help try to keep the infection out. Funny thing is that she didn't develop this infection until 4 days after the bandage came off. She dislocated the toe so bad that it folded over into the next toe causing the cut. That's where the infection is. So now we are cleaning the wound and keeping it dry. Also on a new anti-biotic. Keep your paws crossed this works. I would hate for this infection to go any farther.

Edited by madredhare

Guest Energy11

She obviously needs oral antibiotics. Which one do they have her one now? What was the reaction to the first one, and, what was it?

Poor baby, she needs to get this thing healed. Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Guest TeddysMom

My Florida vet swore by soaking a wound like that in hot epsom salts water 3-4 times a to pull the infection out. I've been doing this for years and it works. Even when I have gotten dog bit, I follow this procedure and have never had to treck off to the doctor. It would be helpful if you could give Sadie some kind of antibiotic with it but the epsom salts will help.

Guest madredhare

The first anti-biotic that she had a reaction to was Cephalexin. She is now taking Orbax. Sadie also has Miltral Valve disease and Dilated Cardiomyopathy. She has been sick twice within this past year that required overnight stays at the vet on IV fluids. She was given an anti-biotic shot when she dislocated the toe, so she has had some anti-biotic. We need to find an anti-biotic that she can tolerate because of her heart condition, she will definitely need to be on anti-biotic before she can have a dental done. Which she needs too.

Would think the Orbax would take care of this. Another option might be Clavamox.

Hope your pupper heals quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest madredhare

More news on the toe front. Yesterday we went back to the vet because the infection has gotten worse. So they had to give her a local anesthetic, cut out the infection, and stitch her up. Back today for a bandage change. They said hopefully only one more day with the bandage the wound was still a little weepy. WELL, later this afternoon, we are vomitting again. Vet said to get a Pepcid in her. Well, that didn't work either. So now we will not only be going back for a bandage change tomorrow, but try to get rid of the puking again. I am exhausted, this is wearing us both out. My poor Sadie.