Spaying Seniors Help!

Guest Liz

We have now confirmed that our 10 year old brood mommma has not been spayed, we have her over a year and she went into heat in March but when the vet checked they were not sure so they wanted us to wait to see if she went into heat again, well she is now in heat. We have talked to several other grey owners and they have all said that they would not put her through it, so I am now asking would you put a ten year old through the spaying process. I worry that putting her to sleep could be dangerous. She has no health problems except for some arthritis in her hip and back leg. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest KennelMom

If she is otherwise in good health, I probably would. I'm not sure it would cut down on the risk of mammary tumors, but it would help you avoid pyometria...not that that's even a guarantee'd thing. Eh, ultimately I guess it's a toss up. Personally, I hate dealing with seasons...mine or the other bitches in the house :rofl

We have just confirmed that our 10 year old Bood Momma is not spayed, The vet does think spaying her is an issue but we are worried that putting her to sleep could be an issue. She has no health problems except for some arthritis in her hip and back leg. I have posted this in medical but I wanted to post it here to. We will take all the help we can get.

Guest KennelMom

I think the oldest dog we've had spayed was done at 12. We are unsure if Quilty has been spayed...we're guessing not. At 13 1/2 we are 99% certain we won't do it.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's much better to do it now whilst she's healthy rather than risk her developing pyometra and having to do it as an emergency when she is extremely poorly.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Energy11

When I was with GPA Senior Sanctuary of Fla., we had the broodies spayed all the time. They were older girls, and everything was fine.

Good Luck, and everything should be okay!

Absolutely. Make sure your vet knows about Dr. Couto's new pre-surgery suggested supplement. I'm sorry, I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure you can find out if you email OSU. He gives it prior to all Greyhound surgeries to help prevent excessive bleeding.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest PhillyPups

I understand where you are with this.

The Queen came to me at the age of 10 with the spay being her adoption fee - I was unsure, like you, due to her age if I wanted to do the surgery. I got very nervous. I contacted a few people I considered much more expert in old broods (Marilyn and Dr.Stack to name two). The consensus was unanimous that it should be done due to the risks of not doing the surgery.

BarbieJade came through with flying colors. Gremlin was spayed at the age of 11 (she is more than fine with the activity level of a 7 or 8 year old) and Moe was spayed at the age of 10 and is doing incredibly well.

The choice, or course, is yours, these are just my experiences.

Good luck in your decision.

Absolutely, no questions and I'd do the dental while they are at it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I agree on the spay as long as her blood work is all good and the vet feels she is healthy. I would want to be sure a teeth cleaning was done at the same time. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

As I posted in your other thread, definitely. The Queen was spayed at 10 - I had the same questions you had and went to folks with way more experience than I had (Marilyn and Dr. Stack to name 2) and all said yes. She did fine. Also, Gremlin was spayed at 11 and Moe at 10, both are fantastic. :wub:

I thought I was losing my mind when I thought I was opening your first thread but saw all different responses. (I do "View New Posts) :P

I agree on the spay as long as her blood work is all good and the vet feels she is healthy. I would want to be sure a teeth cleaning was done at the same time. :)

:nod Ditto.

We get lots of broodies and they all do well with their spays. Some of them are a little slower in the days following surgery than say, a spunky 3 year old, but, I'd say if she is otherwise healthy, go for it and yes, have her teeth cleaned and have any extractions necessary done while she's under so you won't have to do it again :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We scheduled her spay, pending the results of her bloodwork. It was all good to go, so she was spayed. Wag's procedure was 8/18 and she turned ten on 8/23. She was a momma of 40+ pups and 7 or so litters, I think

Guest DarkHorse

I've seen groups do them as old as 11, so I'd think that as long as she's healthy and the vet knows what he's doing with a senior greyhound, there should be no problem. The potential risks of an intact female are pretty bad. Just imagine what it would be like to have to do the surgery in a year because of pyometra. Or even for her to be pregnant at 11 (it can still happen at that age, even if it's rare).

My group has spayed several 10yr old retired broods, and I don't know that we ever had a problem with it. We've neutered 10yr old males, too. I would think it depends on how the bloodwork looks, more than the dog's age, wouldn't it?

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

we have decided to have Tess spayed after reading what everyone has said, we can't have a dental done at the same time because our vet won't do it. She likes to have the greys asleep for as little time as possible. I am calling Dr. Mickey tomorrow. She has been wonderful with our girls. Thanks for all or your help.

Tess is going Thursday to be spayed, I will be a nervous wreck until it is over and the vet calls me to come take her home. I have arranged to take Thursday and Friday off so I can be home with her. Keep good thoughts for her.

Guest Energy11

Having been with GPA Senior Sanctuary of Florida/Lake County, we had many, many broodies spayed without incident. We had their dentals done at the same time, so your girl should be fine.

We send you ... love, hugs and many, many prayers!