Otis - 9/15/97-10/16/09

Guest Capslock

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm very sorry. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Capslock

I can't seem to edit my first post or the subject, so I'll just do this here.

Otis was a double-bouncer. He had SA, and was returned twice quickly because of it. For some reason, that didn't phase me despite the fact I'm single and work all day, and he was the only dog available at the time. I had another grey, and figured that would help him out. It did. He had minor anxiety for the first week, and occasionally barked when left for the next year, but never after that. Turns out he just hated being crated more than anything. He quickly turned into a great dog, but was always shy and a bit spooky.

Otis was a pacifist. I got him when he was 3 and a half, and he died a month after his 12th birthday, and he never got in a dog fight. Ever. And he was an every-day dog park dog who met literally thousands of dogs. Even aggressive dogs got along with him. He loved pit bulls more than any other dog. Meeting one in the dog park was one of the few things that got his tail helicoptering, and right up till the end, it was the only thing that would prompt an occasional zoomie out of him. But he had good judge of character, and they all seemed amused by him. His second favorite thing was snow. We'd go to Lake Tahoe in the winter a lot and he loved it. Otis had zero prey drive. We live in the city, and he'd literally step over pigeons and not seem to care at all. He never took off after a cat, and in fact was fine off-leash. 100% reliable in putting his nose on my hand when I called him. We'd hike with him off leash all the time - I don't do that with my other grey. His personality kept blossoming his whole life. Over the years he got more and more confident. By the end, he was completely comfortable with all people and situations.

Some things got to Otis, though. I remodeled my house, and he lost 12 lbs, just from the stress of the work (it did suck). And he didn't like most dog-sitters (I travel a lot) and would go on hunger strikes. And as the years went by he developed a touch of arthritis in his front wrists, then hypothyrodism. But nothing was ever bad. His quality of life up until the final hours was great - he could still jump in and out of the SUV with no problems, and did so just a few hours before his sudden death. We're not 100% sure what happened to him, but they found a large adrenal gland tumor that was probably the cause, but he died of heatstroke-like symptoms despite it being in the mid 70s, and without much exertion at all. He died quickly and without apparent pain, so I'm glad that's how it ended for him, but I'm really bummed because I was in Seattle and missed getting home to be with him in time by 2 hours. Anyway, Otis was the best - I'll miss him forever and think of him constantly, like his bridge brother and sister Clyde and Bongo. Run free Otis!

OtisBongorunning.jpg

OtisinTahoe.jpg

Otis2.jpg

OtisTahoe3.jpg

What a beautiful tribute to a special boy. And so very handsome as well.

Gentle hugs to you in your time of loss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Godspeed sweet baby boy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.