Persistent Diarrhea On Bland Diet

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

We've been having an ongoing issue with Angler for some time now. He had a few bouts of diarrhea, so the vet suggested a bland diet. He's been on it at least six months now, and the cycle goes like this:

-He eats the bland diet and does well, gains weight, and we say hooray!

-He gets diarrhea, loses weight, and we say boo!

And so on. I fast him when he gets the D, but sometimes - like this time - fasting him and also giving Immodium does nothing. He still has it. He hasn't been to the vet for this round, but he's been before, and they can't find anything wrong with him. He is up to date on his worming and all of that. Please help, he needs to put on some pounds!

call your vet, maybe he needs some flagyl to clean him up. when i run into a cycle like that flagyl seems to come to the rescue.

is it just loose stool or real runny diarreah? one of my pups has loose stools when he over eats...that is when he gains enough weight to cover his ribs...mmmmm....also do you keep him on probiotics?

Guest jupiterooos

Hmm, we actually have some flagyl on hand (for Jupiter's reoccurring UTI) how much should I give him?

It's definitely diarrhea, it's the kind that is entirely liquid. I don't have him on probiotics, just fiber therapy - is yogurt a good idea or should it be something else?

Guest jupiterooos

He gets ground beef, cooked in the Foreman grill to remove fat, then rinsed thoroughly in cold water to de-fat it as much as possible. I mix that in with white rice and mashed potato. Fiber is in the form of either fiber pills or pumpkin, pumpkin being preferable but not available all year.

Try eliminating the white rice all together. Even though he does well on it sometimes, it can cause problems.

A course of flagyl is also a good suggestion.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest jupiterooos

So potatoes only? I'll try that.

The flagyl is 250 mg apiece and he weighs about 75-80, probably on the lower side after a day of diarrhea. How much should I give him?

Call your vet and ask for the flagyl dosage--I can tell you that I have given 500mg twice daily but, please check first. Rather than rice you could bake a sweet potato and mix it in his food---it's full of fiber and he'll like it too. Has your vet ever mentioned to you that he/she thinks your pup may have IBD?

I have had one dog that never gets totally firm on rice. I have never had a dog who can eat cooked potato (except potato chips) without getting incredible blowout diarrhea. So, you might want to lose the potato AND the rice and try just the meat and a small amount of pasta.

Bland diet should be low residue, so leave out the fiber as well. It's a great addition when dog has the runs because of something like antibiotics, but not so great when they have irritated innards. Just adds insult to injury in that case.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pumpkin always gives Gracie diarrhea. :dunno

Ditto Batmom's suggestion of just meat and pasta.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Keep in mind that there are a few ways to approach GI disease in dogs. True while some dogs do better on a low residue diet many do well on a higher fiber diet (soluble or insoluble). Sure adding pasta to the diet would work for some, however, some dogs have a wheat/flour allergy---that's why I suggested the sweet potato--novel carb.

The OP really needs to have her dog re-examined to determine what type of GI disease her dog is dealing with.

Guest Energy11

I know a lot of people don't like the prescription diets, BUT, I found, working at the vets in Florida for four years, Science Diet Prescription ID CANNED food worked wonders for diarrhea. Might want to put your baby on this for a while ... it DOES work! Good Luck!

Guest 4dogscrazy

well...I wanted to share with you my experience with a chronic liquid poop dog, before you try any more diet changes. My oldest dog raced for quite a long time, and when I got her they told me she was possibly allergic to plastic because her face was all broken out and swollen. She looked like she got stung in the mouth by a swarm of bees! I disregarded this and immediately put her on Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach, SAMON flavor. Turns out she was allergic to beef, and her face cleared up. I sincerely think this dog has never had a normal poopy! So time passes, her coat comes in nicely, face is no longer swelled up, but her potty breaks were the same. Sometimes urgent! I asked around, and someone told me to add some Pro-Biotic yogurt to her diet. Sweet success! All better, totally. I give it to all four of my dogs, once a day, about a table spoon in their kibble. You have to make sure the yogurt is Pro-Biotic though, I have to drive to another town to get it and I do it gladly! They all love it, vanilla flavored and she is all better. Something so simple, but I feel like her digestive system was so messed up from eating beef all her life, that her normal digestive enzymes and whatnot probably never developed properly. No change in the other dogs potty breaks either. Just something simple I thought you might like to try before you change the diet again. Good luck!

I have had one dog that never gets totally firm on rice. I have never had a dog who can eat cooked potato (except potato chips) without getting incredible blowout diarrhea.

That's the exact opposite of my experience. :lol I always have good luck with potato (or sweet potato) and rice just goes right through them!

But, a good point to go super simple and eliminate anything that may cause GI upset

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

well...I wanted to share with you my experience with a chronic liquid poop dog, before you try any more diet changes. My oldest dog raced for quite a long time, and when I got her they told me she was possibly allergic to plastic because her face was all broken out and swollen. She looked like she got stung in the mouth by a swarm of bees! I disregarded this and immediately put her on Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach, SAMON flavor. Turns out she was allergic to beef, and her face cleared up. I sincerely think this dog has never had a normal poopy! So time passes, her coat comes in nicely, face is no longer swelled up, but her potty breaks were the same. Sometimes urgent! I asked around, and someone told me to add some Pro-Biotic yogurt to her diet. Sweet success! All better, totally. I give it to all four of my dogs, once a day, about a table spoon in their kibble. You have to make sure the yogurt is Pro-Biotic though, I have to drive to another town to get it and I do it gladly! They all love it, vanilla flavored and she is all better. Something so simple, but I feel like her digestive system was so messed up from eating beef all her life, that her normal digestive enzymes and whatnot probably never developed properly. No change in the other dogs potty breaks either. Just something simple I thought you might like to try before you change the diet again. Good luck!

I thought all yogurt had pro-biotics? Is there a specific brand you're talking about?

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

there aren't enough probiotics in yogurt. purina make a good one, i usually use the mega probiotics from the vitamin shoppe. entercoc....what ever is the important one for dogs along w/ all the other goodies in probiotics. i checked out the purina formula and went for something as close as possible.

someone passed on this recipe for loose poops, it does wonders

boil white & sweet potatoes, turnips in chicken soup(i usually go w/ water and a bullion to keep it simple). then mash it when cooked. the dogs love it and it seems to firm things up.

also i over cook white rice, i triple the water and make it into almost congee consistency and add the potato recipe to it.

what did your vet say about the flagyl?

Guest 4dogscrazy

I thought all yogurt had pro-biotics? Is there a specific brand you're talking about?

I buy Wegmans Organic Super yogurt which has pre-& probiotic 1.91 billion live and active cultures. That's what the container says anyway! lol! I do know that all yogurt doesn't have the same things in it. I don't think regular yogurt had probiotic cultures, but I'm not positive!

Guest speedoketo

That diet is way too high in phosphorous from the meat and too low in calcium which can lead to Secondary hyperparathyroidism. Figure out a way with your vet or a nutritionist how to get some calcium in there (and enough of it)

Calcium:Phosphorous should be 1:1, that ground beef is way too high in phosphorous and shouldn't be given alone. It risks damage to bones/kidneys. The rest of that stuff you have in there has only minimal calcium. Also - most vitamins are manufactured so they won't hurt a dog on a complete/balanced kibble diet so just giving one of those every day isn't even close to the amount of calcium you really need.

6 months on i/d took my grey with serious GI issues (regurgitating all the time, ploppy poops) to nice firm poops and now he gets purina shredded blend.

Bacteria could be behind your problem, something like campylobacter

Guest RocketDog

Another idea - what about doing a round of Panacur or a similar dewormer? Giardia causes intermittent loose stools and it's tough to catch on a fecal test, and the Panacur will zap it or any other internal parasite that might be causing the D.

A holistic vet is in the best position to help you cure this.

You can find one online or from a reference from other greyhound owners in your area.

Chronic Diarrhea can be caused by:

1. Worms

2. Sensitivities to certain foods

3. Irritable Bowel Syndrome

4. Stress

If worms have been totally ruled out, and sometimes the tests don't catch when dogs have worms, particularly persistent hook worms, then look to the food fed.

Raw feeding cures allergies in most situations.

Home cooked helps too.

if you have to feed kibble go for one WITHOUT grains.

I like Orijens, but there are many others out there.

For diarrhea, Greyhound Gang has information on how to help prevent it.

Though getting to the root of the problem is the best thing to do. This is under LEARN, MEDICAL.

Slippery Elm - made into a paste - when put in boiling water is the best way from my experiences to help the digestive tract and stop the diarrhea without doing further harm.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest ghessentials

I'm assuming she has been tested for bacterial infection, but is the loose stool after heartworm or flea treatments. Sometimes they can have a bad effect. An herb Slippery Elm added to the food works well to correct lower GI problems. It is available at most health food stores. I would definitely recommend a good supplement like ARTHRYDEX and a probiotic like FLORA FX. I have had good luck with these. They are available at www.greythoundessentials.com

Guest jupiterooos

!. Flagyl, Panacur.

2. I think so?

I cut out the rice for the time being, poop is a little better...as in, it's not the exploding kind. It's still soft but not nearly as urgent as it has been. There's a lot of conflicting info on what I should be feeding him, so let me tell you all what he cannot eat:

-Fat

-Dairy

-Poultry

He was on a raw diet for a while, and did well except that he could not maintain a good weight on it. I swear I was feeding him way more than he should have been eating, yet he couldn't gain an ounce. That coupled with bouts of D necessitated the switch to a bland diet.