Could Her Tail Be Broken?

Guest BooandCalisMom

Guest BooandCalisMom

Hi all - I arrived home to find that my Cali had a pretty good case of happy tail. While applying pressure to stop the bleeding we noticed that her tail seems to be crooked in the place where the wound is (it wasn't before today) and somewhat limp if you move it back and forth.

We are pretty adept at bandaging and packing tail wounds but we are concerned that this may need vet attention if its a break.

Could this be possible and what should we look for? And should we take her to the vet tonight or can it wait until office hours?

Guest Energy11

If the tail is limp and hanging, I'd say it coudl be broken. There is really nothing you can do for that except splint and wrap it. I would get it looked at for sure.

Good Luck, and sorry this had to happen! I am waiting for Oakly to do it, as he has a helicopter tail, and is very hyper.

Hope your baby feels better soon!

If it's broken, I'd take her in. I don't know if you can set a tail or if it just has to be amputated at the site where it's broken.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BooandCalisMom

Thanks all - we kind of have it splinted for the night and I may take her in tomorrow. Ughhh! I hope everything is okay.

I did a search on GT for this issue and didn't find much so I really appreciate your thoughts!!

Paul broke his tail in a clean break. It healed fine with no amputation necessary. You can still feel a little lump there, that's all.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Whistle

My boy, Stopper, had his tail broken in a door by me: ( We had to keep it wrapped for a few months, but he now still sports one of the longest tails I've seen on a grey with a curve right at the end from the break.

You can confirm the break with an xray. It happened to one of our dogs towards the tip of the tail. It was bandaged and it healed OK in a couple of months. There was no cut -- just an angled tail tip! We don't know how it happened, possibly from a dog door that caught it in just the wrong place.