Deramaxx Vs Previcox Vs Rimadyl

Hollis

Norm has been on Deramaxx since he came to us 3 years ago. He came on it, 50 mg a day. We've tried to wean him done to 25 mg/day (with vet ok) and he most absolutely has more pain/limping on the lower dose.

Tanner started with a limp several months ago. Took him in, no obvious trauma. Vet thought muscle pull (he has slept really funky the night before!) So Deramaxx for a week. Limp went away. Limp came back. Deramaxx again. Limp went away. Limp came back 2 days before we left for Dewey!! So back on the Deramaxx with prayers that he would feel better quickly. He did and both boyz were fine with all the walking. So I'm thinking 3 times a charm and T should know be on "something" daily. And I can get him down to the 25 mg/day.

So we all know how expensive Deramxx is. 30 100 mg pills from the vet for $100, Drs F&S is running $70 right now. I went to the vet today to see about something less expensive. They suggested Previcox 227mg. 30 pills for $76 from the vet. $68.70 from F&S.

Then I started browsing for info for Deramaxx vs Previcox and saw Deramaxx vs Rimadyl. I believe they are all NSAIDS. I believe they are all for pain and inflammation. (I say I believe because its entirely possible I've gotten some info mixed up in all my research)

Rimadyl at F&S is.................................................30 100mg tabs for $37.80!!!!

Of course I already bought the dang Previcox from the vet and I'm sure I cant return it, but....why not the Rimadyl? While I dont want to go from Dera to Prev to Rim, the Rimadyl is just so much less expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on these meds?

TIA

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest BiancasMom

I've heard good and bad things about all three. I think each pet is different and you should use whichever one works the best for your particular dog. Some dogs can't handle any NSAIDS, some can only handle a certain one. If you choose to try Rimadyl, make sure you check with your vet first, as I believe there is a waiting period between drugs. Maybe Rimadyl is cheaper because it has been around longer?

Wayne has been on Rimadyl for almost 3 years now, and several of mine have been on it long term.

As for price, I buy it online at petscriptions.com. 60 tabs for 54.00 free shipping. My vet's price is 110.00

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

There is a 4 day waiting period between the Deramaxx and the Previcox. I'm sure its the same for the Rimadyl. I'll be calling the vet back tomorrow to ask about the Rimadyl but wanted to get opinions first.

If we do try the others and Norm cant handle them then he'll go back to the Deramaxx. Tanner is just starting on this road and hopefully he can handle a less expensive med. But if he cant, it'll be Deramaxx for him as well.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest SueG201

please google Previcox and you will see many dogs have died from this drug, one of my good friends dog died after being given previcox, it is a dangerous drug

Guest Energy11

I prefer Deramaxx over Rimadyl, but that is just me. No particular reason, I guess. Maybe because my former vet/employer prescribed it far more than Rimadyl, and I got used to it. He did not use Previcox, and, I too, have heard some bad things about it as well.

Might want to Google it, or even email OSU to see what they think about the Previcox. Good Luck with this!

I prefer Deramaxx over Rimadyl, but that is just me. No particular reason, I guess. Maybe because my former vet/employer prescribed it far more than Rimadyl, and I got used to it. He did not use Previcox, and, I too, have heard some bad things about it as well.

Might want to Google it, or even email OSU to see what they think about the Previcox. Good Luck with this!

My vets and from the reading I have done, I prefer Deramaxx over Rimydal. BAsed on what I've read about Previcox, I personally would stay away from that.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Grhndad

You may want to ask your vet about Meloxicam. It's the tablet version of Metacam and works just as well. I have a 10 yr old on it long term. She was on Previcox previous to her coming to me and my vet changed to meloxicam. 30 tablets was $10.00 and she only gets a half a tablet a day so 60 supply.

Guest speedoketo

My experience with Rimadyl was a bad one. My grey developed ecchymoses (little bruises) inside his thighs after being on it for a few days which really worried his vet so he was switched to tramadol. This was for management of pain after surgery though, not chronic pain. Rimadyl also got some negative press a while back for causing liver problems in dogs. Some people swear by it though for pain management. Just thought I'd add my personal experience.

You may want to ask your vet about Meloxicam. It's the tablet version of Metacam and works just as well. I have a 10 yr old on it long term. She was on Previcox previous to her coming to me and my vet changed to meloxicam. 30 tablets was $10.00 and she only gets a half a tablet a day so 60 supply.

:nod I second checking into meloxicam. I have Aston on it to see if it will help his mystery-limp-turned-arthritic. I'm not sure if it's done anything in his case, but he has suffered no ill effects for sure. Cost-wise, you really can't knock it -- Meloxicam is also one of the generics that you can get at Target or Walmart's pharmacy for $4 per 30-day supply, or $10 for a 90-day supply (the human pill version; Aston gets half a tablet daily).

Tramadol and it is a $4.00 drug at Sams and Walmart.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Love my vets, really do....

We're going to try Tramadol. Can be used with the NSAIDS. Will try Tanner on the Tramadol alone as his pain doesnt seem to be constant. (I'm thinking that because he's now had this limp 3 times he needs to be on something constant vs when it acts up and he cant use the leg). Will drop Norm down to 25 mgs deramaxx and add Tramadol and see if it works. If it doesnt I can up the Deramaxx again. If the Tramadol just doesnt work we'll try Metacam/Meloxicam. Interestingly the vet I talked to today has never prescribed Meloxicam. Metacam yes, meloxicam no. Heck-I'd even try the Metacam. Liquid or tab doesnt matter to me.....

Will keep you all posted.

Oh-and they're letting me return the $75 Previcox!

eta: a side benefit for Tanner with the Tramadol may very well be the "calming effect" the Tramadol has. T is such a nervous nelly this may help.

Edited by Holly

Tramadol here, manages arthritis quite nicely. On the rare days he needs something extra, I add a buffered asprin (vet says this is fine for occasional use--about once a month in the winter) Patrick had a bad reaction to Rimadyl, and we just couldn't afford Deramaxx either, although it did work.

For folks who don't do Walmart, I pay $8 a month for 200mg/day at Target.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Tramadol doesn't do much for arthritis pain (if you're considering it for that), because it has no anti-inflammatory properties.

True, Tramadol is a pain reliever, not an anti-inflammatory. There really is a big difference.

Rimadyl also got some negative press a while back for causing liver problems in dogs

All of the NSAID's can cause liver/kidney problems, not just Rimadyl. That's why the 6 month profiles are done.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Check on Vetprofen. It's the generic Rimadyl and might save you some more money. Here we use tramadol as needed.

Ditto on checking the lab work every 6 months.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

An alternative thought for arthritic pain - natural joint supplements and acupunture.

Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vit C

No side effects. Except positive ones.

Use daily at 1500 mgs a day of each product.

Testimonials here

Continued use of NSAIDS can affect kidney and liver. Blood tests must be done regularly.

Milk Thistle can help keep kidney and liver healthy.

More info at Greyhound Gang.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!