Any Information Welcome

A friend of mine at work has a 6 year old male Doberman (he's called Duke) who has started in the last few weeks to show signs of weakness/paralysis in his hind legs. He does not appear to be in any pain, he has difficulty walking on slippery surfaces and wobbles when he walks, he sways from side to side when he is standing still and he also tends to flop down when he lies down as if he cannot control his muscles.

He has been seen by a vet who checked his nerve responses and found that he is slow to return to "normal" position when his hind feet are "knuckled under", a clear sign of some sort of nerve deficit.

My first thought when she spoke to me about him was LS and I said I would ask you knowledgeable folk here about ways in which he could be helped and what his likely long term prognosis would be, but I was just doing a bit of a Google about diseases that affect dobes and found info about a condition called "Dancing Doberman Disease", I had never heard of this before (not really surprising since I have never owned one) but when I read the symptoms it began to dawn on me that this might be what he has, particularly as my friend has said that Duke is not apparently in any pain and that he has definite wasting of his hind legs....does anyone here have any knowledge, anecdotal or otherwise, about this condition?

One other possibility is Wobbler Syndrome, which is apparently also common in Dobes, but this does not seem to fit his symptoms.

I suppose what I'm asking for is just any help or advice that I could pass on as my friend and her DH have had this boy for four years, originally he was a security dog when they owned a Pub, but now he has become a much loved member of their family (they have seven children :blink::eek and he is great with them) and they are so sad to see him declining in this way.

Any and all wisdom appreciated.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest sirsmom

Our mastiff had Cervical Invertebral Disk Disease and had a lot of the symptoms you mentioned above. There is surgery for it but he was too old to undergo it. When he started to flop down when he was walking the vet suggested we put him down (he was 220 lbs)

Thank you everyone.....I have printed out some info on the three conditions I have mentioned and will pass them on to her tomorrow....hopefully it may help her and the vet to pinpoint the problem....keep the info coming though, I am off to bed now but will check back in the morning :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

It sounds like some symptoms of Wobblers to me. Did the vet even consider that? Toes knuckling under and the hind end weakness is often the first things you'll notice with it.

I think she said that the vet had mentioned Wobblers but I don't know if he then ruled it out for some reason. The trouble is that his symptoms fit all the three conditions I have mentioned (and probably several others too) in some ways and not in others, the trouble with vets over here is that they tend to be rather conservative and are often unwilling (in my experience) to name something unless they are absolutely certain.

Thanks again.

Sadly Wobblers is a possibility as it is seen in Dobes. :(

This would have been my first thought. I remember seeing a special on tv showing the surgery that has been fairly successful.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Doesn't sound like Wobbler's to me.

Did you ask about acupuncture vet?

Not yet....I gave her some info I had printed out about the various conditions as she was just rushing out to a meeting yesterday....she said she would read up and I will see her again today and mention the acupuncture to her :)