Am I Fighting A Losing Battle?

Sorcha

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I LOVE her!! She is just stunning, and she's trying so hard to do everything she wants to do. :)

You might try one simple thing: instead of putting the bowl next to her, put it on the floor. It looks like her bed is nice and lofty, and putting the bowl down below her might be more comfortable, and easier for her to manage.

Whenever I've tried to feed a hound in bed, they usually sit or stand up. I think it's just more natural for them to eat with the bowl beneath them.

Now, don't laugh, but have you tried putting something like a bean-bag bed/chair, or a hassock (a footrest) right behind her, so if she starts to drop in back, she's got something to sit back on?

(I told you not to laugh!! :rolleyes: )

She reminds me SO much of my Ruby. He, too, was a beautiful fawn angel who lived until he was 14.5. :)

I have tried putting the bowl on the floor, she won't touch it. She will only eat from the raised feeder (which is actually a trash basket!).

I did try moving a square dog bed to the area where she tends to "drop" but it freaks her out and she acts as thought it's in her way, so it only ended up being another obstacle to her not eating.

We had the same issue with our elderly whippet at times. For him, what worked was to feed several times a day and as high-cal of food as would go through him decently.

Hugs to sweet girl, and to yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We had the same issue with our elderly whippet at times. For him, what worked was to feed several times a day and as high-cal of food as would go through him decently.

Hugs to sweet girl, and to yourself.

Unfortunately I cannot feed her several times a day since I work away from home full time and live alone. She gets 2 hours in the morning to eat and 4 hours in the evening to eat. In the end, she is barely able to finish half of what she needs to eat to keep weight on.

Are you adding something like Dyne to her food? It's a high cal paste, lots of cals in a couple tablespoons. Vet should carry it, if not you can order it from places like omahavaccine.com .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

When Max stopped eating (Osteo), we got Science Diet AD from the vet. It is very high in protein and calories, and they seem to love it. Maybe worth a try? It is not cheap, but it worked for him. Good luck and lots of love to you and Tuna!

Oh. she is sooo beautiful! And a fighter, obviously.....I feel for you, I am going through a similar thing with 13 year old Darla, her hing legs are starting to give out, she is very wobbly at times, and on Rimadyl for arthritis. She doesn't have many teeth left, so eating is slow, and she just recently started refusing kibble altogether. Now I feed her canned food only, which she can eat by licking rather than chewing, thankfully she eats lying down, and has for some time now. Go with your gut feeling, as others have said, better too soon than to late...but if she still gets excited about her surroundings, still likes to go outside, still enjoys eating, enjoys your company, and does not seem in pain or distress....I'd say let her be, if you have to give her the sloppiest food you can find or make, make instead of buy baby food consistent slob, don't worry about nutrition, that is a long-term thing, let her eat what she wants, stock up on puppy pads if you must...the high-calorie paste someone else mentioned is a good idea, tasty and fattening....

Can you cover the steps with indoor/outdoor carpet to give her more traction? I did that by nailing the carpet to wooden steps, you may need to use some sort of glue for concrete...

Hugs,

Ivon

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest mcsheltie

She is sooooo beautiful!

You said she enjoys being outside. Maybe try putting some food outside. Before she goes out so she just comes across it while sniffing around. She might get a few more bites in that way.

I'd try some A/D too.

Guest lynne893

sending hugs and prayers. we were just there last month with our timber. it is soooo hard. i think timber may still have had some good days left, but i went with the philosophy better a day too soon than a day too late. i didn't want her to suffer, and in her last couple of days, she vomited and had bowel movements of blood, not poop, so i knew it was only going to get ugly. (meaning, she would not get better, only worse, ultimately.)

i am still struggling with my decision, but what made me really realize it was "the day" was the look in her eye the morning of. her eyes told me around 5am that she was having a tough time, and that was her last day. until 8pm, we fed her hotdogs, chicken, etc. she was a happy girl.

good luck and bless your heart for giving your girl such a loved, good life. she loves you back.

:heart

My Cali is almost 15 and she and your girl have almost identical problems, except her LP isn't as bad and she usually can finish her meal without sitting, though sometimes she has to take a break. She gets rimadyl twice a day in a HUGE glob of PB. PB is good for her, lots of calories and she loves it! Would your girl eat some PB? Thats also the nice thing about the fat balls or satin balls, just one can be kind of popped in the mouth and there are lots of calories in them.

Also if Tuna (LOVE her name, always have!) is so happy outside, maybe you could try feeding her outside when it's nice? Just a thought.

Anyhow, bless you and Tuna. I know how hard it is to make the final decision.

This is one of lifes hard decisions.. I have had to make it several times and have had to help people make it as well.. My boy Toby was a picky eater and always was.. I made extra food for him, Fat Balls, "Gil's Good Stuff" etc.. I fed him raw stewbeef from the package.. Anything to help him eat. He ended up having a Gastro Tumor that was sapping his body for the calories. Up until I knew it was time, he would romp in the yard, play and bounce like a pony when I got home.. No it wasn't as big as when he was healthy but he still wanted to do the things he enjoyed.. I could see it in his eyes how tired and weak he was. Sometimes the physical body is ready before the spirit of the dog is. I would continue to watch her, think about her quality of life and really search her eyes.. You are one of the lucky ones to have a hound at 14. You will also rather remember her when she was able to do things than when it comes down to where she can't get up and many other things.. Sure she can roach and enjoy the loving you give.. Most dogs do.. I helped one of my friends with her dog.. Black lab.. She had gotten to the point of having trouble getting up and walking.. did fine on the rug... I had to go over and help get her up one time off the wood floors and once I did, she seemed fine.. Took her outside, watched her with the steps and in the yard. She enjoyed her times outside, but also watched her compensate coming up the steps.. She hopped up them to compensate for her weak back side.. Within a few days I was there to help her to the bridge.. She had a fighting spirit, but her body said it was time.. She even ate well, but when the rest of her life was tough, we all knew.. Heck she was bouncing around when we got there to the house for her shot. But you could tell, deep in her soul she was ready.. Good Luck to you in your decision.. ITs a hard one but one you have to make with her in mind and how her body is reacting.

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

Have you thought about asking her what she wants? This sounds like the perfect situation for an animal communicator. You can probably "talk" to her yourself but if uncomfortable about it there are many reputable ac's available. She sounds like a lovely ol' girl! :)

Edited by racindog

Hi Sarah - I went through this with Cody too...

Can you use a towel as a sling to help her stand for long enough to eat? I actually bought a sling-thing with handles to help Cody pee after she hurt her back.

If you support her rear end for her, maybe she'd eat standing up?

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Having just made "that" decision a few days ago myself it is still really, really raw. However my girl had osteo.

Maybe you have already covered this but I didn't see it... How about if you just lay some yummy tidbits on her bed, no bowl, no stand, just on the bed itself, and then go about your business. It may be that after a while the temptation would get to her. At this point I would just give her whatever is yummy, I wouldn't worry about dog food. Stuff like shredding roast beef, boiled ground round strained, baked chicken shredded (no skin or fat), mac & cheese, vanilla yogurt & Rice Krispies, you could try a combo of mashed potato with the meat, hot dogs, Gerber baby food sausages. Sorry, I know there are more but they just aren't coming in my head.

For dog food EVO95 cans have an average of 500 calories per 13 oz can, so pretty calorie dense.

No one can help you with this decision, nor should they. I know how hard this is. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Hi Sarah - I went through this with Cody too...

Can you use a towel as a sling to help her stand for long enough to eat? I actually bought a sling-thing with handles to help Cody pee after she hurt her back.

If you support her rear end for her, maybe she'd eat standing up?

Hi Jeannine, no she will not let me use a sling or anything else to support her. I have tried a few times and the only result I get is a ticked off greyhound!

Having just made "that" decision a few days ago myself it is still really, really raw. However my girl had osteo.

Maybe you have already covered this but I didn't see it... How about if you just lay some yummy tidbits on her bed, no bowl, no stand, just on the bed itself, and then go about your business. It may be that after a while the temptation would get to her. At this point I would just give her whatever is yummy, I wouldn't worry about dog food. Stuff like shredding roast beef, boiled ground round strained, baked chicken shredded (no skin or fat), mac & cheese, vanilla yogurt & Rice Krispies, you could try a combo of mashed potato with the meat, hot dogs, Gerber baby food sausages. Sorry, I know there are more but they just aren't coming in my head.

For dog food EVO95 cans have an average of 500 calories per 13 oz can, so pretty calorie dense.

No one can help you with this decision, nor should they. I know how hard this is. :grouphug

Thanks for the input. The problem is that what she can eat has to be mashed or ground, otherwise she cannot swallow it due to her LP. So being messy it needs to be in a bowl but maybe I can try a paper plate. It's not that she does not want to eat, she has an appetite, it's that she cannot stand up long enough to eat everything and won't eat laying down (she is stubborn like that). I have been giving her chicken breast, rice, ground beef, baby food (and also the sausage things sliced and cut into little cubes), bologna, plain Ragu, pasta, etc.. I am worried about giving her many other foods for fear all these goodies could cause loose stools, I don't want to add that problem to the mix, that is why I have been trying to go with 1/2 dry dog food (chopped up until it's a powder and mixed with water, lactaid milk or chicken broth) and 1/2 goodies. I will look into the EVO.

Guest Lovemyhound
I have been giving her chicken breast, rice, ground beef, baby food (and also the sausage things sliced and cut into little cubes), bologna, plain Ragu, pasta, etc.. I am worried about giving her many other foods for fear all these goodies could cause loose stools, I don't want to add that problem to the mix, that is why I have been trying to go with 1/2 dry dog food (chopped up until it's a powder and mixed with water, lactaid milk or chicken broth) and 1/2 goodies. I will look into the EVO.

You are being such a good mommy to that baby. :grouphug

Keep up the good work.

Guest dobiegrey

Now this is going to sound like a stupid question, but when she starts to drop have you tried just gently putting your hands under her butt and holding her up at first she may be confused but after a few times she may come to realize just what you are doing and let you hold her up for the last bit of her meal. God Bless and hugs and prayers to both of you. She looks wonderful for her age and condition. Someone else said and I agree just take it day by day and just try what you can and the Hill's AD is Wonderfully messy and they LOVE it!!!

Lou

Now this is going to sound like a stupid question, but when she starts to drop have you tried just gently putting your hands under her butt and holding her up at first she may be confused but after a few times she may come to realize just what you are doing and let you hold her up for the last bit of her meal. God Bless and hugs and prayers to both of you. She looks wonderful for her age and condition. Someone else said and I agree just take it day by day and just try what you can and the Hill's AD is Wonderfully messy and they LOVE it!!!

Lou

She refuses support of any kind. If I touch her when she starts going down (to try and support her), she quits eating or whatever else she was doing and goes off to lay down. It only makes things worse if I try to help her.

For years we were involved with Southland , we took home all the old greys that were returned because they were old and not wanted anymore , yes people do that , when it gets to the point that they cant act like dogs any more and slowly starving , we did the right thing and sent them to a better place.