Am I Fighting A Losing Battle?

Sorcha

Guest Energy11

Good friends of ours had a harness/sling for their Tory. That is how she ate and went outside. They even bought a Radio Flyer wagon for her to attend Sandy Paws with them two years ago.

IF she still seems happy, and will eat, and you have the love and patience for her, maybe she does have more time. When she doesn't seem to have ANY zest for life at all, then, it is probably time.

Love, hugs and good luck! This is NOT easy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry that you are faced with this...I know how hard it is. Is it possible to get a sling for Tuna so that she CAN stand long enough to eat and to support her going up and down the concrete stairs? Sending my prayers. :grouphug

I have tried, she will not allow me to use anything to support her (sling or otherwise), she jumps up and down and bucks whenever I have tried.

Sounds like your little girl has a lot of pride, and ya know, that may be just the thing to help you know when she's tired and she's ready.

You may not be ready but hopefully you'll be able to know that she is

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I honestly do not feel as though I will clearly know when it is her time. I went through cancer with a saluki, and knew when it was her time. But this is not cancer and it's not clear to me if I will ever be able to tell when it is her time, or perhaps it already is her time and I am letting her go on not realizing it's her time. She still roaches, she still nuzzles against me, she rarely has an accident in the house unless I am late coming home from work, she understands why I keep her contained to one room in the house when I leave (the less moving around she does the better), she still enjoys romping around in the backyard, even though her romps are a bit limited, she understands she can no longer go up and doen the steps to the finished basement (which used to be her favorite room) and tries to take care on the concrete steps going outside, somtimes she takes a fall on the steps outside but even though she is bleeding she continues on her way to the yard to do her busines then returns to me to help her back inside and patiently waits while I patch her up, she clearly wants her dinner and eagerly awaits to be served by stomping her front paws (only to eat a bite or two and then go lay down), so forth and so on.

Oh, and she is Ms Independent and hates to be supported so I use words like "be careful" and "go easy" with her when she does something like tries to barrell out the door without stopping to size up the situation, and she seems to understand.

You are describing where I was last November or December. I so feel your confusion, your turmoil, your pain.

I lost my beloved TigerPower to cancer in November, and Stepper at 13-1/4 year old was starting to fail. Then Stepper discovered the couch and gave me hope for more years, it was an emotional roller coaster ride for a couple of months. Good times and bad with his shakey back end, the weight loss (which happens at that age no matter what). When he was eating a turkey neck and his back end went and I put my arm under his belly and held him up, he did not miss a bite, and kept on chomping. He never ate laying down, but many meals I was holding his middle up. Then DonnieDude entered our home, and Stepper played like a puppy for two glorious weeks. Suddenly one night he could not get his back end to move and brougth himself in dragging his hind end, he would not let me help him, he got up onto the couch. Friday morning, he ate fine, Friday night he could not get off the couch for dinner and looked at me like "what do we do now Mom?" I took his dinner over to him, and Saturday I let him go. He walked into the vets office on his own steam, got to the quilt in the middle of the floor and that was all he could do, his back end collapsed, he was done. He went swiftly in my arms hearing how much I love him and would miss him till we meet again. I still can not write this without crying for my rock, my foundation, my best boy. It is so hard to figure out when it is time. Such a personal decision, and only our hounds can tell us when they are ready.

I know this does not help, but please know you are not alone in the indecision, the worry, the caring, the love, the hope, the tears as our beloved companions age gracefully before our eyes. :bighug

Thank you for sharing your experience with this, When she begins to go down in her hind legs while eating, every time I have tried to help by putting my hand under her to get her back to a standing position and support her, she jumps away and goes back to her dog bed and won't go back to the food bowl for fear I will try it again, she is so independent and refuses help. So I have stopped trying to help her stand because I know it will only make her upset. Instead, she eats as long as she can until her hind legs go out, then she lays down, then 1/2 hour later I encourage her to get up again and try eating some more, and this repeats all night long. She never has been a fan of getting on the couch, and even if she could I don't think she would be able to.

I don't think any of us can really explain it, but you will know. The two of you are obviously very bonded, and one day you'll look in her eyes and you'll just know. Trust in yourself, and trust in your girl.

Every time I've reached the point where I think I need to make a decision, I doubt myself and my ability to "know". I've turned to animal communicators and spent hours just watching, intellectualizing, wondering... but often this is just not an intellectual decision, it's an instinctive one.

I agree with the suggestion to skip the kibble or whatever it is that Tuna doesn't want to eat. Go for the yummy stuff - her favorite foods and treats. Lexi had pizza every day during her last week. Freeze dried liver is another good one, as is deli sliced roast beef.

Oops, just saw your comment about her not wanting you to support her belly. Why do these old girls all insist on being so stoic and independent? :rolleyes:

Another thought: what if you left her bowl on the floor next to her bed, and walked away? Some of my pups have eaten when they thought I wasn't looking. I think they just don't want to be fussed over.

Just think of this time as a gift, and until Tuna tells you she's ready, make her last weeks one big birthday party. :)

Big hugs are going out to both of you...

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

When Fiona was failing from the cancer I wondered if I would know when it was time. I had never lost a dog before and I was concerned that I would let her go on too long.

We let her eat whatever she wanted; some days it was hot dogs and vanilla pudding. That was OK. She lost weight and started spending most evenings on her bed out on the deck.

She wasn't in pain and seemed happy, if tired.

The last day I just knew it was time to let her go. I can't explain it except that I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that I had not felt during the previous 5 months we fought the cancer.

It's not a lack of appetite, it's a lack of being able to stand long enough to eat. Although, if it was up to her she would eat nothing but bologna and Gerber Stage 3 Chicken & Vegetables baby food!

This experience with Tuna is completely different then when the end came with my saluki who battled cancer.

Everything still raw with letting my 11yo go last week. Arthritis made a rear leg drag and pivioting wwas the only way to get around.I wonderd if I was selfish and waited too long.The crying out at night was the final answer for me. His passing was so peaceful and a gift to him.I took pictures the morning of his trip and now can see the pain and sorrow in his eyes. If you are asking yourself THE question,you know the answer.

Guest Energy11

I have been told, to put yourself in her/his place (your puppers), when trying to make this decision. Also, when she no longer enjoys daily things, like eating, playing (within reason for a 14 yr old), spending time with you and the others, then, it might be her "time." This is never, every easy! I am soo sorry you are going through this.

Lots of love and prayers!

Only you can determine what's best for your girl. You're the one who's there watching her and seeing the look in her eyes. You're the one talking to her vet about treament options, if there are any more you can offer her. You're he one who can best judge her quality of life.

This is the hardest and most heartbreaking part of having our fur kids get old.

I would add that I wonder if tube feeding her might be an option? If her food has to be mush anyway, it might make it easier to get calories in her. If she had some more energy she might feel better.

Hugs and skritches coming your way.

greysmom :D

I have to agree with greysmom. Such a tough decision to make! I am so sorry that you faced with this..................

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I honestly do not feel as though I will clearly know when it is her time. I went through cancer with a saluki, and knew when it was her time. But this is not cancer and it's not clear to me if I will ever be able to tell when it is her time, or perhaps it already is her time and I am letting her go on not realizing it's her time. She still roaches, she still nuzzles against me, she rarely has an accident in the house unless I am late coming home from work, she understands why I keep her contained to one room in the house when I leave (the less moving around she does the better), she still enjoys romping around in the backyard, even though her romps are a bit limited, she understands she can no longer go up and doen the steps to the finished basement (which used to be her favorite room) and tries to take care on the concrete steps going outside, somtimes she takes a fall on the steps outside but even though she is bleeding she continues on her way to the yard to do her busines then returns to me to help her back inside and patiently waits while I patch her up, she clearly wants her dinner and eagerly awaits to be served by stomping her front paws (only to eat a bite or two and then go lay down), so forth and so on.

Oh, and she is Ms Independent and hates to be supported so I use words like "be careful" and "go easy" with her when she does something like tries to barrell out the door without stopping to size up the situation, and she seems to understand.

I think you just answered your question right here. Sounds like she's not ready to go yet. I think when she is ready you will know.

Just wanted to second what some of the others have already said, have you tried to hand feed her? If she's picking the good bits out to eat and leaving the rest - why not just spoil her for the time she's got left and only give her the good bits? I've read about "satin balls" in this forum, they are some kind of high-calorie delicious food to get older/ill hounds to eat. If you search you should be able to find it.

Wishing you lots of strength and patience. You clearly love her a lot, and I know how hard it can be to give so much support to a failing beloved companion.

Yes I have tried to hand feed her and have tried to spoon her but she won't have it with her independent nature. She will eat bologna out of my hand but everything else she will only eat from her bowl and won't eat laying down. I have been wanting her to eat her dog food as well as the extras so that she is getting the most nutrition possible and also I want to avoid loose stools. I will search for information about satin balls.

Found a couple of threads - one with the satin balls receipe and one with discussions on getting a skinny dog to eat. Hope they help! There are a lot more threads too, just use the Search menu. Hope you find something yummy for Tuna!

Satin Balls recipes

Other yummy ideas

Thanks!! She has never had raw food before so I am concerned about that. Can I cook the ground beef of would that defeat the purpose?

Edited by Sorcha

It's not a lack of appetite, it's a lack of being able to stand long enough to eat. Although, if it was up to her she would eat nothing but bologna and Gerber Stage 3 Chicken & Vegetables baby food!

Aha.. different from what I originally thought.

Is Tuna's bed flat on the floor? If it is, can you make a low platform for it? If she's situated a little bit above her bowl rather than next to it, she might be more willing to eat lying down.

Aha.. different from what I originally thought.

Is Tuna's bed flat on the floor? If it is, can you make a low platform for it? If she's situated a little bit above her bowl rather than next to it, she might be more willing to eat lying down.

Hmm, I will see what I can use to make a platform of sorts next to her dog bed.

Does not seem like she ready to me, she is a fiesty old girl

I was just talking with the dogsitter, she was here this past weekend taking care of Tuna and 2 of my other dogs while I was with 1 of my dogs in Dewey for Greyhounds Reach the Beach. She brought up about how Tuna acts when she is in the back yard (so full of life, prancing around, has a big grin on her face, etc.). I wonder, if it was her time would she be still be enjoying life so much?

Guest Hoolyghans

When our Golden was in her last few weeks of cancer she lost her appetite and the little she could get down just wasn't enough to keep her going.

We tried Satin balls (raw) She loved it. She still couldn't eat a lot but at least what she did eat was packed with calories and it gave her the energy so we could have a little more quality time together. My vet said when they are clearly near the end of their journey, no point worrying about perfect nutrition. Doesn't do any good if you can't get it in them. You don't want to feed them nothing but donuts of course but if there is protien, carbs and fat, use whatever works and try to get the biggest bang per bite calorie-wise.

You can form them into meatballs and bake them if the idea of raw really freaks you out. It just wouldn't have as many calories as the raw version since a lot of the fat would cook off.

Edited by Hoolyghans

Guest trevdog

Doesn't sound like she is ready yet, if she is still eating and having the occassional run/play in the back yard. Maybe move her food closer to the bed so at least when she does need a break she doesn't have as far to go and it speeds things up a bit for meals? It sounds like it's the standing that is giving her the issues, not the moving around so much.

Going to try to post pictures from tonight and a very short video.

Hind legs starting to give out ...

Tunaeating003.jpg

This is the point where she usually gives up ...

Tunaeating004.jpg

Set her food bowl down on her dog bed and this is her reaction ...

Tunaeating008.jpg

If she could talk she would be saying "Are you serious? I don't eat laying down" ...

Tunaeating006.jpg

The brief video (battery died) shows she wants to eat ...

th_Tunaeating002.jpg

Edited by Sorcha

(((hugs, prayers)))

My vet helped me to decide with my 18 year old dog. He always told me you will just know but I really didn't. We talked about the quality of life which helped me. Try to think of what is best for the dog.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Energy11

Well, she is extremely beautiful!

She does look good for a gal that age. Far better than some of the younger ones I have seen. If it were I, I'd take it day by day with Tuna. That is realy ALL you can do.

Hug her for us!

Oh, I LOVE her!! She is just stunning, and she's trying so hard to do everything she wants to do. :)

You might try one simple thing: instead of putting the bowl next to her, put it on the floor. It looks like her bed is nice and lofty, and putting the bowl down below her might be more comfortable, and easier for her to manage.

Whenever I've tried to feed a hound in bed, they usually sit or stand up. I think it's just more natural for them to eat with the bowl beneath them.

Now, don't laugh, but have you tried putting something like a bean-bag bed/chair, or a hassock (a footrest) right behind her, so if she starts to drop in back, she's got something to sit back on?

(I told you not to laugh!! :rolleyes: )

She reminds me SO much of my Ruby. He, too, was a beautiful fawn angel who lived until he was 14.5. :)

Guest Lovemyhound

Awww, God bless her precious soul. :grouphug

She has desire, just help her as much as you can. Will she eat her food if it is not in that raised dish? I know you said she will only eat standing but if the bowl STARTS on the ground, will she go to it?

ETA - Ooooohhh, that is a good idea Houndz - scoot a stool, something under her butt before she starts to sag and see if she will just sort of rest her butt on it to at least finish her dinner! :)

Edited by Lovemyhound