Nail Disease

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

One of my contacts sent out this email today. Can anyone assist?

Has anyone else's grey experienced the nail disease?

Our greyhound snagged and ripped out 2 nails about 3 months ago. There was blood everywhere and it took the vet hours to stop the bleeding. Over the next few weeks, he removed all of his nails by licking them off. They have started to grow back but don't look good. We had read on-line about using fish oil, Vitamin E, ibuprofin and chlortrimiton. He's been on that regimen for 3 months now and we think we are starting to see a little improvement. At least, they don't seem to bother him anymore.

Never give a hound ibuprofen. It's poisonous to them. It sounds like this hound may have SLO.

"SLO is thought to be an autoimmune disease that targets the toe nails. The hallmark of autoimmune diseases is that the body mistakenly forms antibodies against part of itself. If it's antibodies against our our red blood cells then we destroy our own blood and become anemic. If it's antibodies against our joints then we become arthritic. In the case of symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy, Greyhounds form antibodies against their toe nails, and reject them."

I got this from the Grassmere Animal Hospital website. You can read about it Here

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BooBooMama

Thanks to everyone! My girls have never had any nail diseases so I have no idea what to tell him. Also I was told by my old vet that ibuprofen was deadly for ALL dogs years ago so I was shocked that he found something online that suggested it!

I will pass your info on to him.

My dear Scout had SLO and some painful nails when I got him as a 9-year-old bounce. It was misdiagnosed as a fungal infection. I followed the advice of several experienced folks and articles such as the Stack one mentioned above. The supplement regimen slowed down the nail loss from around 1 a month to 1 a year. Scout seemed to experience pain when he was actively shedding a nail, but in a few days he acted fine again.

The nails that grew in were a funky shape and texture. They seemed to grow faster than the "normal" nails. The quicks didn't grow out far into the nail again, so they were easy to trim. A good thing, because keeping them short helped keep them from snagging on things.

One of the articles on SLO mentioned that there appears to be a connection between SLO and hypothyroidism, and Scout did develop low thyroid levels, too.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest my3greys

My spencer has slo. He started with losing all his nails, looked like a crime scene. He was diagnosed and is on a regime of Trental and 8 fish oil capsules a day. He hasn't loss any more nails now for 3 years but they did come in funky and odd shaped. It should be known that because of this immune disorder, he can now longer get vaccinations or a rabies vaccine. Therefore, we do not take him out around other dogs, to protect him from diseases and we are very careful to keep in away from animals running loose, rabbits, squirrels, etc. He also has terrible seasonal allergies. He chews on feet and legs constantly and occasionally pulls at a toenail still. Hope this helps.

It should be known that because of this immune disorder, he can now longer get vaccinations or a rabies vaccine.
I have read that the respected veterinary researcher Jean Dodds thinks that multiple vaccines may overstimulate the immune system, but other reasonable theories range from pollutants in the general environment, to the antioxidants added to many dog foods, to genetic factors.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter