Jupiters Hurt

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

About 4 hours ago I was just getting ready to leave the house after lunch, when Jupiter must have gotten too close to Briley - aka Snarley - and Briley tried to grab him. There was a few seconds of scuffle and by the time I get over to Jupiter he was crying :weep I thought Briley bit him but there was no blood anywhere. (what made me really upset is that Luna and Sunny were totally trying to jump on Jupiter too :angryfire I can't believe how aggressive/pack mentality the older dogs have developed over the past year or so). I stayed with Jupiter for about 10 minutes and he seemed fine, so I put the older dogs in the bedroom and went out to finish my class. When I got home about 2 hours later, Jupiter still seemed fine. we all went outside while I was picking up walnuts and after 20 minutes or so Jupiter was visibly shaking - it was in the upper 50s, low 60s. We came inside and snuggled on the couch as I thought he was just cold. As he tried to get off the couch he started crying again and is now moving very slow like he is in pain. I am thinking that when Briley jumped at him, he probably pulled a muscle while trying to get out of the way. Poor baby, I feel so bad for him as I can tell he is hurting.

Do you think it is ok to give him Tramadol 50mg? I have 2 pills left over from when Sunny got bit by the cat. I could run to the store and buy him some Ascription (????) I think Sunny took that several years ago and it is safe for dogs. My poor Jupiter baby.

I'd check him over very carefully and make sure there are no obvious wounds. I'd also check him everywhere to make sure there are no specific spots that are painful that might result in internal injuries before giving him anything.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest zoolaine

Thanks for the advice so far. I know he is really in pain as when I went to the kitchen to get a snack he didn't follow me - even when I know he could hear the bag of cheddar popcorn - one of his favorites. I am going to go check him over again.

Poor baby! I am sorry :( Sending lots of good thoughts :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest zoolaine

He doesn't like getting up or stepping down (I have 1 step down into the tv room). He had some quivering in his neck/shoulder but I think the pain is mostly coming from his left wrist. It seems swollen compared to the right wrist and I can feel a little gliding of the tendons, like they are inflammed. Thought about taking him to the ER vet but I think it's muscular and he will be fine til tomorrow morning and I will call our regular vet. Probably will camp out on the floor with him tonight so he doesn't have to jump down off the bed, not sure if he could even get up there.

Guest zoolaine

Thanks for all the good thoughts for Jup. He ate his dinner with as much gusto as he usually does - boy he loves food! I did give him a Tramadol and he is now sleeping with his head in my lap. I love my sweet Jupiter :wub:

Guest zoolaine

I believe all the good thoughts and prayers have helped as Jupiter is doing much better this morning. He is getting on and off of the couch by himself and more importantly without crying. He even did his happy dance for breakfast - although toned downed quite a bit from his normal happy "I'm about to eat' dance. But I can still tell he is not right as he doesn't follow me around like he normal does and he is moving slower. I did give him the last Tramadol with his breakfast and will go grab some Ascriptin today (it would be good to have some on hand anyways) and give him that for a day or two. Does anyone know the dosage? He weighs about 67 pounds.

Guest Energy11
I am so sorry. That is the reason I always use muzzles. I don't even take then off until

I have been home almost an hour. Hugs.

Used to do the same thing (muzzles) when we left the dogs for work in Florida. And, yes, waited to take them off, too. Now, we are always here with them, but still don't let them out in the large pen alone. Amazing what they can do to each other! Worse than kids!

Aww, poor Jupiter!

I'm glad that sweet boy is doing better this morning.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France