Heart Worm Meds

Guest jillz

Can't decide whether to keep my 7 y.o. grey on Interceptor all year, or just the warmer months. My vet said if she goes off, she has to have a blood test before she can go back on in the spring. Is it better to just keep her on all year? We live in Pennsylvania so it's pretty cold Nov.-March. What do you all recommend?

For you Yankees, it's a personal choice. I'm in beautiful South Florida and we use Heartgard year around. :)

You would need to do the math and decide if the cost of a blood test and Vet visit, plus the stress on your dog is equal to or less than 5 or 6 months of Heartgard which is $37.48 from PetsMegaStore.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Bean_Scotch

I live in very cold, Indiana and use Interceptor year round. Since many heartworm meds also protect against parasites(roundworms, hooks, whips and interceptor spectrum also does tapes) it's much better than paying the 50.00 for the HW test, plus office visit, plus fecals.........I use Frontline Plus May-Oct.

If your dog tests negative, you can do an every 45 day schedule. I think that is better than going off completely.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest sja5032

No need to give it year round, actually there is no need to give it every month every other month is more than enough. The old "if they have heart worms and you give them wormer it will kill them" is false. If you dog is infested with heartworms which would take a long period of time to develop than it could have some detrimental effects, but how do you think they get rid of heartworms in a positive dog? Pretty much the same drugs just larger doses and with more monitoring of the side effects because of infestation. Vets get money for selling heart worm pills that is why they push them once a month year round. I believe even the akc supports the fact that dogs are usually over wormed (trying to remember which book i was reading that said this). I would worm every other month in the warmer months and every 3 months in the colder months unless your dog is exposed to a lot of worms (boarded a lot, livestock, bad poop eater).

We live on the south shore of long island and give for 6 months. Intercetor.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Since we adopted a dog that was heart worm positive and had to go through treatment, I would give it to them every month. Heart worm treatments are no fun. Heart was crated 24/7 and leash walked for potty breaks only (out and back in) for 6 weeks. I don't ever want to go through it again so mine will get their heart worm preventative every month.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest trevdog

Living in FL we also do year round. Having to deal with heartworm treatment years ago on a non-grey, I'll stick to the Interceptor. The treatment is no fun for the pup, basically have to be kept from playing, jumping and any physical activity while undergoing treatment is not worth the risk to me.

I'm in Maryland and we use Interceptor year round.. the additional protection it offers from other worms is plenty of benefit to me. I give it every 5 or 6 weeks here.

We are having cooler than usual weather right now & this morning there was a mosquito in my bathroom. I keep mine on Ivomec all year long. My vet told me this, when mosquitos are going south for the winter, where do you think they stop off to eat? Better to be safe than sorry. A bottle of Ivomec is about $42 and so far its lasted me 17 months & that's with 5 dogs.

A heartworm treatment is a heck of a lot more....it only takes one bite, they don't have to prime it.

Edited by Heehoo