Quick Question

Guest Hotdogs

Guest Hotdogs

I feed a combination of kibble and prepacked raw. I give kibble during the day and the raw at night. I haven't had a problem, except both pups seem to have some kind of stomach bug and loose stool at the moment.

They're taking flagyl (sp?) one of my dogs is fine now, but I think I 'jumped the gun' and gave the other one too much kibble instead of a bland diet today and so now he's...um, goopy again (sorry to be kind of immature about this)....

My question is, since raw usually does the trick for keeping him regular (I ran out and so I was only feeding kibble for a few days...) is it safe to give him raw while he has diarrhea? Or, is the bacteria in the raw just going to counteract the medicine that he's taking? or could the bacteria in the raw harm him while he has a little stomach bug like this?

In our experience for our two, the more kibble, the softer the stool and the more raw (with bone), the firmer. Our Bumper had a spinal issue and got big D while at the vet (stress, change in food, etc) and the raw I brought him firmed him back up. If the D is caused by stomach issues. I'd be careful, but if you know there isn't an underlying concern, you should be ok. Good luck. Others may give you different opinions and every hound is unique, so you'll need to make the call based on knowledge of your pups.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Hotdogs

I think I'm just going to back off and wait until he finishes his med.s and feed small amounts of boiled meat and oatmeal or rice until he returns to normal before I feed him the raw again. As I said before, I think he's all a mess again because I thought it would be safe to give him kibble again (and some treats too...duh). He has always had a sensitive digestive system and having a little bit of raw has always worked well with him. But as I'm thinking about this...maybe it's safer to wait.

My greyhound has an extremely sensitive stomach and even small amounts of kibble cause very loose stools. So I feed exclusively raw. Did their problems start after you ran out of raw and fed only kibble? If so, that could be the answer to the problem. Seems odd to us humans that raw would be easier for dogs to digest than nice, clean processed kibble, but canine digestion is very different from ours.

Guest slingshot
My greyhound has an extremely sensitive stomach and even small amounts of kibble cause very loose stools. So I feed exclusively raw. Did their problems start after you ran out of raw and fed only kibble? If so, that could be the answer to the problem. Seems odd to us humans that raw would be easier for dogs to digest than nice, clean processed kibble, but canine digestion is very different from ours.

try adding a little more fat to the diet, best is clean beef SUIT from around the kidneys. Add a little more at a time as too much can back fire.

Edited by slingshot

Guest Hotdogs

Thanks for the advice. I hope I'm not too graphic when I say that they were loose when I was giving them just kibble, but nothing like the horror show that my poor husband came home to, so I don't know if it was the food or not, but it probably didn't help. I was giving the flagyl and it wasn't helping, so I hope that I didn't do something stupid by giving them raw, but i did and no more poo problem. Instant fix.

This has happened to them before when our friend walked them for us....she is always really conscientious and sweet and refills their water bowl before she leaves, but I think she fills it will tap water....we never feed any living thing the disgusting water that comes out of our tap. Not even the plants...it's full of whatever is in hard water and we have some kind of 'FDA approved' additive in our water to keep the hard water from ruining our pipes. Do you think that that tap water, since they are only used to getting filtered water could have been the issue? I know she wouldn't bring her own treats or over treat them. Just a stretch...totally reaching now.

Thanks for being patient with such a trivial issue.

Maybe it is the water. I'd like to see the MSDS for that "additive" they put oin. Can't be good.

Also I can't tell you why-any reasons- but when my hounds get sick/diararhea -which thank God is very rare but when they do- I often feed them raw beef muscle meet or tripe or heart. I thought maybe it was easier on their system to digest or something. At any rate it seems to help them get well fast. But I couldn't say whether it is luck or reality based! :dunno