Bloated Tummy

Guest anniemet

Guest anniemet

My 13 year old, very slim, female has had a very noticeably bloated tummy for 2 days.

-Eating is normal--very healthy appetite

-she eats senior dry, moistened w/ water, 1.5 cups twice a day

-drinking fresh/clean water is normal

-not pooping enough, (small amount)in my opinion, and has not for a few months

-Behavior, attitutude, temprament are all normal yesterday, and today. No different than any other day. No signs of distress of discomfort.

I immediately pulled up the info for Bloat from wikipedia and other sources, and that sounds like it would definitely not be a 2 day situation.

Please tell me if I am wrong. I will be in the car with her right now. I just don't see signs of an emergency, but I worry.

Advice Please :huh

If it's a very noticeably bloated tummy, I'd want her seen sooner rather than later. She could have a partial obstruction, and that can get worse very quickly.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agree with Batmom. I would take her in sooner rather than later... just in case.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Certainly DOES sound like a vet situation! Might be bloat, an obstruction ... could be anything! Love, hugs and good luck!

Edited by Energy11

Any gurgly noises or tummy rumbling?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest anniemet
Any gurgly noises or tummy rumbling?

No noise, no gas, no gurgling.

Also, it is sooo unlikely that she has any foreign object in her tummy. This house is very "grey-proofed", and she is not particularly interested in toys or small objects, string...anything...never has been. I am super-protective, and I stand out in the back yard watching them every minute they are outside. An obstruction is unlikely. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

I would be concerned there might be a mass.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Bloat is an acute emergency not a 2 day situation. However, there could be many things going on. At her age and with a noted extension of her stomach I would take her in.

Obstruction isn't necessarily something she ate. As Greytlady notes, could be a mass, could be a bunch of things. It isn't normal, and it's something that has the potential to go bad fast.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest anniemet

Thanks to all who replied. It all happened so quickly, as you know. We took Teton to the vet, and they found fluid in her adbomen/belly region, which is not good. X-rays found nothing, but the fluid continued to build, and she pottied constantly because it was pressing on her bladder. The fluid was tested and cancer cells were found. We let Teton go in peace before she took a turn for the worse, and she has joined Smokey at the Bridge. I will miss my beautiful princess, my little white shadow.

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

:(:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh no, I am so very sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks to all who replied. It all happened so quickly, as you know. We took Teton to the vet, and they found fluid in her adbomen/belly region, which is not good. X-rays found nothing, but the fluid continued to build, and she pottied constantly because it was pressing on her bladder. The fluid was tested and cancer cells were found. We let Teton go in peace before she took a turn for the worse, and she has joined Smokey at the Bridge. I will miss my beautiful princess, my little white shadow.

I am so sorry. That is the same thing that our Brandy had, and I was so fearful when I read your post. We all feel your pain.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds